Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2009, 07:02 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,918,943 times

Advertisements

Well I'm back again; With the price of groceries now days...you can't beat chicken at $1.09 a lb plus a little veggies for a meal.

Economical Chicken Dinner:

6-8 pieces of Chicken Thighs
2 carrots or salad carrots
4-6 medium potatos
1-2 sticks of celery
Any other veg. can be substituted
Spices/Red Paprika/salt/Garlic salt/or any spice of choice in Cabinet

Preparation:

Clean chicken of skin and fat...soak in COLD water for two hrs (Drain often)
After soaking chicken two hrs drain water
Clean and cut potatos into cubes
Clean Carrots as needed...cut into 2" pieces
Clean Celery...cut also into 2" pieces

Cooking prep;
Place chicken on paper towels into micro for 2-3 min depending on remaining fat
After micro chicken...place into pyrex or micro dish (I use a rectangular dish for a large micro oven)
Sprinkle on spices
Add potatos
Add celery
Add carrots
Add water to dish until 3/4 full
Cover with saran wrap to seal in steam
Place in micro for 35 min at pwr 8 level

You can have a side salad or fruit if desired with the chicken

I buy this chicken also for the bones for my two dogs that they enjoy along with 3-4 potato cubes on their dry dog food along with some of the flavored broth.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 09:49 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,258,017 times
If you shop around a little, you can purchase leg quarters for $0.39-0.59/ lb in many places.

There is no way that I am going to microwave chicken in water. There is too much risk that microbes are not fully killed in the microwave.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:32 AM

Different strokes for different folks is my opinion.

Prices will vary depending on what part of the country a person lives.

Doing the micro for 2-3 mins to remove some of the remaining fat and/or water works well and does cook a little on the inside the same time.

I'm pushing 80 yrs old and have been doing this cooking process a very long time...I'm still kickin.

Have done rump roast...pot roast the same way and has been well cooked inside each time. The water sealed inside the dish creates a steam that leaves the meat tender along with the potatos etc.

Power level and time cooking will vary on size of the micro oven. I have a large and also a small one.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:51 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,892,718 times
Hmmm, that might be tasty in a regular oven.(not that your version isn't. I just like my chicken, potatoes, and veggies a little browned. We actually love chicken thighs. Maybe even cooked in one of those oven bags, so it steams like what you are getting in the microwave? I also tend to use a low-salt chicken broth sometimes when a chicken recipe calls for water. Just my personal preference. Thanks for the recipe!

Old 03-12-2009, 10:21 AM

Can understand that some people are not to thrilled with the current usage of the microwave oven.

Went to a Burger King once and ordered a (hot?) sandwich to go. They put it in a bag and while driving home a few miles away decided to take a bite. Guess what!!! The sandwich was COLD right out of the ice box and NOT freshly cooked. The girl forgot to "microwave" before placing into the bag. Stupid me did not realize that the bag was not warm.
Bottom line is that many food items are precooked (who knows where) and routinely micro'd for the customer who thinks the food is freshly cooked.

Next time you order something...watch the girl who is preparing to see if the micro is being used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes