U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:53 AM

8 posts, read 19,627 times

Advertisements

I need to know how to make amazing banana pudding!

I tried.... and will continue trying until I perfect my favorite dessert. I don't have a double boiler which makes it more difficult.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make great banana pudding without a double boiler?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 11:34 AM

1,311 posts, read 4,223,211 times
You can make a homemade double boiler. Just put an inch or so water in a medium pot and let it bubble (not boil). Set a glass bowl on top of the pot so the bottom of the bowl doesn't touch the water. That's what I always do when a recipe calls for a double boiler, and it's always worked just fine for me.
Sorry, nothing specific about banana pudding. I've never made it, only eaten it. Good luck!!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:32 PM

10,887 posts, read 9,866,644 times
Hey! I have done the "from scratch" method using the double boiler, and I thought it was the best. My family, however, loves the recipe using vanilla pudding and Nilla wafers best! My father loves banana pudding better than most any other desert, and he likes the one with the vanilla pudding and Nilla wafers too! So..........needless to say, I don't bother with the "long" version anymore!

Old 03-29-2009, 01:53 PM

10,887 posts, read 9,866,644 times
Here is one recipe.

Easy Banana Pudding

2 -(3.5 oz) vanilla pudding mix
4-5 Large bananas, sliced
1 box Nilla wafers
1 (8oz) carton cool whip

Prepare vanilla pudding according to directions. Cool slightly. Mix in cool whip. In a 9 x 13 casserole dish, put a layer of vanilla wafers, layer of bananas, layer of pudding. Repeat until all is used - but the last layer must be pudding. Chill.

Old 03-29-2009, 01:57 PM

20,387 posts, read 37,693,239 times
This is an absolutely outstanding banana pudding:

Not Yo Mama's Banana Pudding

2 bags Pepperidge Farm Chessmen cookies
6 bananas -- sliced (6 to 8)
2 cups milk
1 box instant French vanilla pudding -- (5-ounce)
1 package cream cheese -- (8-ounce) softened
1 can sweetened condensed milk -- (14-ounce)
1 container frozen whipped topping thawed -- (12-ounce) or equal amount sweetened
whipped cream
1 1/2-3 Tablespoons dark rum (to taste)

Line the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch dish with 1 bag of cookies and layer bananas on top.

In a bowl, combine the milk and pudding mix and blend well using a handheld electric mixer.

Using another bowl, combine the cream cheese and condensed milk together and mix until smooth.

Fold the whipped topping into the cream cheese mixture.

Add the cream cheese mixture and dark rum to the pudding mixture and stir until well blended.

Pour the mixture over the cookies and bananas and cover with the remaining cookies.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Old 03-29-2009, 04:13 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,015,983 times
Why resort to pudding mix when you can make it from scratch?

This recipe on Joy of Baking looks good to me! Don't forget the fresh whipped cream!

Banana Pudding Recipe With Picture - Joyofbaking.com

Old 03-29-2009, 05:02 PM

21,871 posts, read 13,081,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by showrun View Post
I need to know how to make amazing banana pudding!

I tried.... and will continue trying until I perfect my favorite dessert. I don't have a double boiler which makes it more difficult.

Does anyone have any tips on how to make great banana pudding without a double boiler?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
Hey! I have done the "from scratch" method using the double boiler, and I thought it was the best. My family, however, loves the recipe using vanilla pudding and Nilla wafers best! My father loves banana pudding better than most any other desert, and he likes the one with the vanilla pudding and Nilla wafers too! So..........needless to say, I don't bother with the "long" version anymore!
I just use the recipe from the Nilla wafer box. It's very easy and practically fool proof. I don't make the merguine, I like it without it.

Like Cheesehead stated, you don't have to have a double boiler. I don't have one. I use 2 sauce pans nestled in one another (one smaller than the other).

I personally like my bananas very ripe. It's also a good excuse to use up overly ripe bananas I also use real vanilla extract rather than imitation. It's a little more expensive but a little bit goes a long way.

NabiscoWorld.com

Old 03-30-2009, 02:56 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,603,776 times
My mother-in-law.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:45 PM

5,500 posts, read 20,015,983 times
I'm getting hungry. Has anybody made their banana pudding yet? I'd like some with chocolate shavings please.

Served with a tall glass of cold milk!!!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:42 AM

812 posts, read 2,112,323 times
use those sweet baby bananas you get from asian markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes