U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 04:20 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,173,982 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

as I live in Spain we have lentils in abundance but I only know one recipe, Spanish type lentils, with chorizo.

I wonder if you have tried some good recipe which you can recommend.

Thank you already for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 07:01 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,307,337 times
I have one for Zesty Lentil Stew that I like

1 c. dried lentils
2 c. chopped peeled potatoes
1 c. chicken broth
1 2/3 c. water
1 1/2 c. chopped tomatoes( you can use canned)
1 can 11 1/2 ounces tomato juice
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped carrot
1/2 c. chopped celery
2 ts. basil
2 ts. oregano
1/4 ts. salt

Rinse lentils. Combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes.

I also just found a recipe for lentil lasagna but I lost it. It looked very good. I'll try to find it for you.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:32 AM

I found a different one for Lentil Lasagna that looks good

Ingredients

1-lb lasagna noodles

1-lb bag of lentils

1 small onion

2 cloves garlic

3 cups marinara Sauce(canned or homemade)

8 oz ricotta cheese

1 egg

½ cup parmesan cheese

1lb mozzarella cheese

sea salt to taste

Marinara Sauce Recipe

3 to 5 lbs firm but ripe Roma tomatoes

6 cloves of garlic

6 or 7 leaves of fresh basil leaves or 2 tsp dried basil

2 lbs of spaghetti or favorite pasta

Sea salt

Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1) In a sauce pan lightly brown garlic in ¼ cup olive oil

2) Add chopped tomatoes cook for five minutes

3) Turn down heat to medium low add a lid and let tomatoes simmer for another 5 minutes

4) Add sea salt to taste and basil turn off heat

Preparation

1. Prepare lentils according to package directions.

2. Prepare noodles according to package directions.

3. Prepare marinara sauce according to recipe above.

4. Grate all cheeses and set aside.

5. Mix 8 oz container of ricotta cheese with the egg and 1-teaspoon basil, set aside.

6. Sauté small onion and garlic in olive oil add to the cooked and drained lentils with 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Now it is time to build the lasagna. It doesn’t really matter in what order you layer the ingredients, but always start with lentils and end the last layer with 1 cup of the marinara sauce and at least half of the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.

Get your biggest baking pan and oil the bottom and sides with olive oil.
Add 1 cup of the marinara sauce to the bottom of the pan, spreading it out evenly. Layer some of the noodles in bottom of pan. Add ½ of the lentils over the noodles, spreading it out evenly. Add ¼ cup each of your three cheeses, and then ½ cup marinara sauce. Continue building layers as long as you have ingredients, ending with sauce and then cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for ½ hour and enjoy.

Here is one for Lentil Patties/Burgers I would substitute some of the ingredients and add more veggies like carrots, mushrooms, and onions but it looks good as a base for burgers.

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)
1 cup dry brown lentils
2 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup milk
1 cup wheat and barley nugget cereal (e.g. Grapenuts TM)
1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil

DIRECTIONS
Place lentils and water in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
In a large bowl, mix together the cooked lentils, milk, wheat and barley cereal, eggs and walnuts. Season with onion soup mix and poultry seasoning. Mix well using your hands, as the mixture will be very thick. Let stand for 30 minutes, or refrigerate overnight.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Use an ice cream scoop to portion out balls of the lentil mixture. Drop the scoops into bread crumbs, and coat while flattening into patties. Fry burgers in the hot skillet until nicely browned on both sides, about 5 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the patties.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:14 PM

424 posts, read 1,508,177 times
Default Here are a few recipes I use...I also have others...

Vegetables 067 (Chickpeas 07 - Punjabi Chana - from Chickpeas or Lentils)

1 can of chickpeas (or 2 cups of chana dal)
1½ cups water
1 red pepper (diced)
1 small onion (diced)
1 tsp. freshly ground ginger
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. butter
½ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. turmeric
½ tsp. coriander
½ tsp. cayenne pepper
juice of 1 lemon

1. Throw peas in a pot with water, low boil until water is nearly evaporated.
2. Melt butter in saucepan. Sauté peppers and onions in butter until translucent; DO NOT LET BROWN. Add garlic and ginger to onion and pepper mixture, let sauté for an additional minute.
3. Add vegetable mixture to chickpeas, mix in dry spices. Pour juice of 1 lemon over top and mix well.
4. Serve with basmati rice.

NOTE: Lentils may also be prepared in this fashion.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Soups, Stews, and Chowders 677 (Lentil Stew 07 - Mejadra 02 - David's)

½ cup brown lentils
½ cup long grain brown rice, rinsed
3 cups water
½ cup onion, sliced
1 tbsp. to ¼ cup carrot, chopped finely
1 tbsp. to ¼ cup celery, chopped finely
2 to 3 tsp. baharat (see note)
1 to 2 teaspoons cumin (ground)(if not using baharat, see note)
chili pepper, fresh or dried, chopped fine (to taste, optional)
4 pinches of cinnamon, ground (or to taste, if not using baharat, see note)
2 pinches of cloves, ground (or to taste, if not using baharat, see note)
4 cardamom pods, broken and crushed (if not using baharat, see note)
1 tsp. coriander, ground (optional), (or to taste, if not using baharat, see note)
1 tsp. sweet pepper (paprika), (or to taste, if not using baharat, see note)
salt and ground black pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil (more if necessary)
1 garlic clove, minced

1. Pick over the lentils to remove any foreign objects, rinse in water and allow them to soak for about an hour. Drain the lentils.
2. In a skillet, sauté the onion, carrots, and celery in the olive oil for 2 or 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic during the last 30 to 60 seconds and allow it to sauté. Remove the cooked vegetables to a 2 to 3 quart pot with cover.
3. Add the rice to the skillet, plus additional oil if necessary, and then sauté it for a short time to toast the outside, but do not let it burn. Remove the rice to the pot with the vegetables.
4. Add the lentils to the skillet, again adding more oil if necessary, and then sauté them for a short time to toast the outside, but do not let them burn. Remove them to the pot with the vegetables and rice.
5. If desired, sauté the baharat and any other dry spices and herbs in some butter or oil for about 30 seconds, otherwise just add the baharat and any other spices to the pot.
6. Add the water and other ingredients to the pot. Use some of the water to deglaze the pan in which the baharat or other dry spices and herbs were sautéed and add the resulting liquid to the pot. Bring the pot to a boil, and then simmer, covered, for 40 minutes to an hour. Check it and stir occasionally; add more water if needed. The final product should have some liquid but should not be very soupy. It is finished when the rice and lentils are both no longer crunchy.

VARIATIONS: Vegetable or chicken broth can be used to replace some or all of the water. Use Parmesan cheese as a garnish if desired. Sauté some chopped onion quickly in oil until it browns (a slight burning is good) then add some chopped garlic and continue cooking for another 30 seconds; stir the onions and garlic into some plain yogurt and use as a garnish. The baharat, cumin, cardamom, chili pepper, cloves, cinnamon, black pepper, and sweet pepper (paprika) may also be sautéed briefly in some butter or oil in a skillet before adding to the pot to enhance their flavor.

NOTE: Baharat is a seasoning mix used in many dishes. It can be made by combining: 6 tbsp. sweet pepper (paprika), 6 tbsp. black pepper, 3 tbsp. cinnamon, 3 tbsp. coriander, 2 tbsp. cumin, 1 tbsp. nutmeg, 1 tbsp. cloves, and ½ tbsp. cardamom. The ingredients should be ground very fine. Frying the mixture in butter briefly will intensify the flavor.

Soups, Stews, and Chowders 182 (Lentil Soup 02 - Moroccan)

2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
6 cups water
1 cup red lentils
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
1 (19-ounce) can cannellini beans (white kidney beans)
1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes
½ cup diced carrots
½ cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon garam masala (mixture of cinnamon, cloves, and black pepper)
1½ teaspoons ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt to taste

1. In a large pot sauté the onions, garlic, and ginger in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the water, lentils, chickpeas, white kidney beans, diced tomatoes, carrots, celery, garam masala, cardamom, cayenne pepper, and cumin. Bring to a boil for a few minutes then simmer for 1 to 1½ hours or longer, until the lentils are soft.
3. Puree half the soup in a food processor or blender. Return the pureed soup to the pot, stir and enjoy!

VARIATIONS: Substitute chicken, turkey, or vegetable broth for some or all of the water. Use some curry powder or chili powder for the garam masala. Substitute some allspice and nutmeg for the cardamom. Cook some chicken parts in with the soup; remove from soup and break into pieces before returning them to the pot.
Yields 6 servings

Soups, Stews, and Chowders 187 (Lentil Soup 07 - with Lamb Meatballs)

¼ cup lentils
½ cup chopped onion
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 (14½-oz.) can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon pepper
6 cups beef stock
1 pound ground lamb
¼ cup chicken stock
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tablespoon chopped parsley

Sort and rinse dry lentils. Put lentils in a saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and boil for three minutes. Remove from heat and let stand for one hour. Return to the heat and simmer for 45 minutes, until tender. Check and add water if needed. Drain lentils and transfer to crockpot. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; sauté the onion, carrots and celery until the onion is tender. Put vegetable mixture into the crockpot. Add the tomatoes, ginger, salt, cumin, pepper, and beef stock. Cover and cook on the low setting for 3½ hours. Mix together the ground lamb, chicken stock, flour, salt, garlic, and parsley. Form into small balls and drop into the soup. Cover and cook for another 1½ hours.

Yields 6 servings

Vegetables 191 (Lentils 11 - Mediterranean Lentils)

¼ cup lentils
1 tbsp. onion, chopped
¾ cup cold water
½ to 1 garlic clove, minced (or garlic powder equivalent)
¼ to ½ tsp. dried thyme (or fresh equivalent) - optional
2 tsp. olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
lemon juice

1. Rinse, sort, and wash lentils. After rinsing lentils, add all ingredients (except lemon juice) to a pot with a lid. Bring the lentils to a boil, and then reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 30 to 45 minutes, covered. Check the pot occasionally and stir. If liquid appears to be low, add some more water. Lentils are ready when their texture is soft and tender. Lentils should not be dry; a small amount of cooking broth is expected as a remainder.
2. When ready to consume, serve the lentils (with a little of the broth if desired) and add some lemon juice and olive oil to each serving at the table. If desired, lentils can also be topped with any combination of onion (chopped or sautéed), plain yogurt, or sour cream.

Vegetables 186 (Lentils 06 - Lentil Burgers 01)

2 cups cooked brown lentils or green lentils
1 cup mashed potatoes
1 cup crumbled brown bread
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup finely chopped almonds or cashews
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bunch fresh herbs (e.g. basil, thyme, oregano, parsley, etc. or mixture)
salt and pepper
oil (for frying)

1. Mix potato and lentils well.
2. Add the breadcrumbs, sesame and sunflower seeds, nuts, onion, and garlic.
3. Finely chop the herbs and add to the mixture with salt and pepper.
4. Mix everything together.
5. Divide into portions and form into burgers.
6. Heat a little oil in a skillet and fry the burgers over moderate heat about 5 minutes each side.
7. Place onto buns toppings of choice (lettuce or other greens, hummus, chilli, tomato etc.)

SUGGESTIONS: Add a little sesame oil, mushrooms, or extra bread if desired. If the sunflower seeds and sesame seeds are raw, they can be toasted lightly. Do not puree the lentils or the resulting mixture will not hold shape well.

Yields 6 burgers

Old 04-11-2009, 11:23 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,173,982 times
Hey,

thank you all for the great suggestions!!!! They all sound very interesting and will keep me going for a while.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:21 AM

hutch5

I found the Easy Lasagna recipe:

Cheesy Lasagna Rolls:

Heat oven 400 degrees. In skillet. cook 2/3 c. chopped onions, 1 tsp. chopped garlic and 1 tsp. Italian seasoning 3 min. In a bowl, blend 15 oz. ricotta, 1 cup cooked mashed lentils, 1/2 c. shredded mozzarella. 2 Tb. chopped basil and 1/2 ts. red pepper flakes. Add onion mixture. Divide cheese-onion mixture evenly over 8 cooked lasagna noodles, roll each up jelly roll style. In a bowl, combine 1 24oz. jar marinara sauce and 2 Tb. basil, spread 1 cup in 9 baking dish. Arrange lasagna rolls in pan. Pour remaining marinara over the rolls, cover. Bake for 20 min. Remove cover, sprinkle 1/2 cup mozzarella and bake 5 more minutes.

Cran-Oatmeal Cookies

Heat oven 350 degrees. In a bowl combine 1 1/2 c. flour, 1 tsp. baking soda, 3/4 ts. cinnamon and 1/2 ts. salt. In another bowl beat or mix 3/4 c. mashed cooked lentils ans 3 Tb. water 30 sec. Add 1 c. packed brown sugar and 1/2 c. granulated sugar mix 1 min. Add 1 egg and 1 tsp. vanilla and mix. Add flour mixture. Stir in 2 c. oats and 1 c. dried cranberries. From 6 oz chocolate chopped up add 4 oz. into the dough. On a greased baking sheet drop dough by 1 Tb. 2" apart and bake 12 min. In, bowl, microwave the remaining chocolate 30 sec. and drizzle on baked cookies. Let sit until firm.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,245,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I have one for Zesty Lentil Stew that I like

1 c. dried lentils
2 c. chopped peeled potatoes
1 c. chicken broth
1 2/3 c. water
1 1/2 c. chopped tomatoes( you can use canned)
1 can 11 1/2 ounces tomato juice
1 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped carrot
1/2 c. chopped celery
2 ts. basil
2 ts. oregano
1/4 ts. salt

Rinse lentils. Combine all ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 45-50 minutes.
This is the recipe close to what I make with the addition of 1 box of frozen spinach and if I have it, sliced Kielbasy. I cook it in the crockpot.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
This is the recipe close to what I make with the addition of 1 box of frozen spinach and if I have it, sliced Kielbasy. I cook it in the crockpot.
That would be good. I love spinach in my soups.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:34 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 8,924,022 times
Some great recipes~Thanks!

Old 04-15-2009, 03:30 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,635,665 times
When I make chili, I use lentils rather than any larger beans. Lentils hold all flavors so well that they can be used in any recipe calling for any kind of beans. I add them to virtually ALL soup recipes and most casseroles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes