U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 09:46 AM

6,749 posts, read 19,900,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
In AZ I made SUN tea! You simply cannot do it in KY/IN! So I buy bottled Green tea lol!
You can make sun tea in Louisville. I know people who do but I prefer the traditional way 'cause I can't stand the wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 05:50 PM

59 posts, read 126,295 times
3 cups boiling water, 1/2 cup sugar, 2 tea bags. Let sit until cool. Remove tea bags. Add 5 cups cold water, 1/4 cup lemon juice. Stir.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:41 AM

4 posts, read 13,613 times
Smile While on the subject of Ice Tea

20 years or so ago I was in Paduka,KY for a wedding while attending a lunch for the bride to be we were served a great ice tea I think it was called 9th street tea??? it had grape juice in it has anyone ever heard of this?? Thanx, Mary

Old 10-28-2007, 02:07 PM

15,299 posts, read 27,428,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iammaryk View Post
20 years or so ago I was in Paduka,KY for a wedding while attending a lunch for the bride to be we were served a great ice tea I think it was called 9th street tea??? it had grape juice in it has anyone ever heard of this?? Thanx, Mary
This may be what you are looking for:

Cooks.com - Recipe - Ninth Street House Iced Tea

NINTH STREET HOUSE ICED TEA

3/4 c. lemonade powder
2 c. sugar
1/2 c. instant tea
1 c. white grape juice

Mix together and add cold water to make 1 gallon.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:18 AM

41 posts, read 118,687 times
Default Oatmeal Iced Tea

Has anyone ever heard of making iced tea with water from oatmeal? A lady in her 90"s said that was how her mom made it but she can't remember how. She remembers soaking the oatmeal, then draining it and using the water.

Old 11-07-2007, 07:04 PM

299 posts, read 1,215,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie50 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of making iced tea with water from oatmeal? A lady in her 90"s said that was how her mom made it but she can't remember how. She remembers soaking the oatmeal, then draining it and using the water.
" Soaking the oatmeal"? Uh huh......& you pour the tea leaves into the cereal bowl & add milk

Old 08-23-2009, 08:55 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,454,512 times
The only tip I have is to use liquid sugar/sweetener - makes all the difference.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:24 AM

2,638 posts, read 10,878,762 times
Hmm, interesting bump! I know it's an old post but I just can't resist!

I have a strange relationship with iced tea. I love it, but I am very sensitive to whether it has been properly handled. Sun tea is especially troublesome. I don't really see the benefit of sun brewing and it speeds up the bacterial growth. There are only two restaurants I know of where I can drink their tea without losing my cookies. I think many restaurants don't seem to realize that the tea containers need to be cleaned every day, that you shouldn't pour fresh tea over the dregs of the last batch, etc. Places that go through lots of iced tea are usually the safest for me.

That said, I recently started making tea again to try to save some money. Our tap water doesn't really taste too good on it's own, but in iced tea it is fine. I have tried several brands. Lipton has a strong oily flavor that I do not appreciate. I used Tetley iced tea blend for a long time as I prefer Tetley for hot tea. Then one day the store was out of Tetley, so I got Luzianne and now I am a Luzianne convert. It has a lovely tea flavor with no trace of oiliness and very little bitterness. Luzianne also has a traditional string & tab on the bags which is much easier to work with than Tetley's family size bags which are simple round bags with no string.

Here's how I make it, for a big one gallon Rubbermaid pitcher. First boil the water in a tea kettle on the stove. While it is boiling, I set up my brewing station. I use a 1.5 qt. Pyrex bowl to brew, and four family size Luzianne tea bags. I tie the ends of the bags together to make it easier to handle them. When the kettle whistles, take it off the heat and let it sit for about 15-30 seconds so the water is hot but no longer boiling, then pour into the bowl (not onto the bags, that makes it splash up unpredictably and you could scald yourself), stopping about an inch from the top. Set a timer for five minutes and let it steep. After the timer goes off, remove the tea bags and add sugar, whisk it in until you can't feel the grittiness at the bottom of the bowl. I use 8 tablespoons of sugar per gallon - this counteracts any bitterness and gives it just a hint of sweetness. I love it sweeter, too, but for everyday tea I don't want to drink a lot of sugar. I add 2 quarts of cool tap water to the pitcher, and then pour in the tea concentrate and pop it in the fridge. If I needed it to be cold quicker, I would fill it to the 2 qt line with ice, then pour in the concentrate, and then top it off with tap water if necessary, but I usually don't bother.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,168,962 times
Sugar in tea???

::: shudder :::

Old 01-14-2010, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,559 times
Default Nineth Street Iced Tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iammaryk View Post

4 family sized tea bags
3/4 cup of white grape juice
1 regular size envelope of unsweetened KOOLAID Lemonade
1 gallon of bottled water.
2 cups of sugar

use about 1 qt. of the bottled and bring to a boil then remove from heat and add the tea bags and cover the pan and leave a little crack where the steam can escape and steep the tea for about 10 mins.

Add the steeped tea to a gallon glass container and add the sugar, lemonade, and the grape juice and stir to dissolve the sugar. Then finish filling up the glass container with the remaining bottled water.

Note: add or deduct the sugar to taste. But make sure you let it sit a while before you add any more sugar, because it gets sweeter as it sits.

Personal Note: I have drank a lake full of this tea, I live just a few miles from Paducah, Kentucky and have eaten at the "Nineth Street" Restaurant. This is a tea that is used for weddings, showers and just when ever.

Enjoy!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or