Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:13 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times

Advertisements

We drink alot of sweet tea here in southTexas. Almost every restaurant you go to for lunch gives it to you as part of the lunch special...with all the re-fills you would like.

When I see them make it, they use the Family size bags of tea and make it as if they do coffee...in the coffee maker.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/songza.media.blog-img/sweet-tea.jpg (broken link)

Make your tea, add sugar, let cool. taste for sugar and thin with some water if too strong. dont add lemon to the pitcher...it will sour if left to long...add lemon to each glass if wanted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2014, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 760 times
Thanks of all
Boil a pot of water and remove from heat. Place 5/6 regular teabags in the water and allow to steep for an hour or so or so. Pour warm tea right into a gallon sized pitcher.
Add slightly less than 1 cup sugar to the warm tea. Stir thoroughly. Add room temperature regular water to the top of the pitcher. Refrigerate. Serve on ice when cold.
Add the sugar to the warm tea therefore it dissolves. If you are using ice in the pitcher, the sugar won't dissolve completely.
You have to be patient and allow the tea cool off in the refrigerator. Personally, I prefer 6 teabags of a brandname that's rich and strong like Luzianne and not to permit the tea to steep way too long so it grows bitter

Old 11-09-2014, 06:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Boil a pot of water and remove from heat. Place 5 - 7 regular teabags in the water and allow to steep for an hour or so. Pour warm tea into a gallon sized pitcher. Add slightly less than 1 cup sugar to the warm tea. Stir thoroughly. Add room temperature tap water to the top of the pitcher. Refrigerate. Serve on ice when cold.

The trick is to add the sugar to the warm tea so it dissolves. If you use ice in the pitcher, the sugar will not dissolve completely. You have to be patient and let the tea cool off in the refrigerator. Personally, I prefer 7 teabags of a brand that is rich and strong like Luzianne and not to allow the tea to steep so long that it grows bitter.
Perfect.

OP, you can add or subtract tea bags depending on the strength you like your tea - and the length of time you allow the tea to steep makes a difference too. I personally use a few more tea bags than the above post mentions, and allow it to steep for just about 15 minutes, but that's just a personal preference. As this post and others have mentioned, the key is dissolving the sugar in the hot, strong tea before adding water.

Like the poster above, I think that Luzianne is the best for making iced tea.

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2014, 02:24 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I take 4 tea bags and steep them in boiling water. I make a simple syrup with sugar, lemon juice and the zest. Let the syrup cool, fill a pitcher with ice, pour hot tea and syrup then fill the rest with cold water, Stir. Or you can do it easier than that by adding 4 tea bags to a pitcher of cold water, let stand in the fridge overnight, then add sugar and lemon juice the next day. Stir and taste. If you like it sweeter add more sugar or add more lemon if you like. I have also infused my tea with fresh ginger.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:59 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Don't forget the 1/4 tsp baking soda per gallon of iced tea.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 PM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Don't forget the 1/4 tsp baking soda per gallon of iced tea.
Baking soda??? Why?

Old 11-13-2014, 12:54 AM

32,920 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Baking soda??? Why?
It reduces the bitter taste of the tea.

I learned that one when I lived in the south.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I've lived in the south my entire life. mother and father were born and bred in south. NEVER heard one word about baking soda in tea.

Also I've read it it counterproductive to let tea steep too long.I never let it steep more than 5 or 6 minutes, add sweetener while still warm and then fill to top with tap water and refrigerate. Lemon is up to each person's taste.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:24 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
I like to open the jar of Nestea, put a heaping spoonful of crystals into my large glass of ice, add some water, stir, and enjoy.

Old 11-13-2014, 02:04 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I've lived in the south my entire life. mother and father were born and bred in south. NEVER heard one word about baking soda in tea...
I'm in the heart of Dixie. It's a common southern "secret" in the restaurants and households claiming to serve the best iced tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes