U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:23 PM

89 posts, read 345,832 times

Advertisements

Ok sorry this may sound daft but as a Brit that always likes ice tea when I go to the US I've tried doing it here but I just can't get it tasting the same as in the US. So is there a magic number of tea bags I should use per cup?? How long to chill it for? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 06:28 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,107,596 times
Take a 2 quart pitcher & fill with water. Place 3 regular sized tea bags or 2 of the larger ones into the water. Let sit overnight. Remove tea bags. Serve over ice. Enjoy!

Old 04-02-2007, 06:51 PM

2,072 posts, read 11,078,536 times
For sun tea ....... put 3 or 4 bags of tea in water (1/2 gallon +) and let sit out.

For a quick glass of ice tea, micro 1/2 of cup water, remove and put a tea bag in. Add an additional 1/2 cup+ of cold water, add ice.

Old 04-02-2007, 06:56 PM

9,875 posts, read 20,154,795 times
Default sweet tea

Boil a pot of water and remove from heat. Place 5 - 7 regular teabags in the water and allow to steep for an hour or so. Pour warm tea into a gallon sized pitcher. Add slightly less than 1 cup sugar to the warm tea. Stir thoroughly. Add room temperature tap water to the top of the pitcher. Refrigerate. Serve on ice when cold.

The trick is to add the sugar to the warm tea so it dissolves. If you use ice in the pitcher, the sugar will not dissolve completely. You have to be patient and let the tea cool off in the refrigerator. Personally, I prefer 7 teabags of a brand that is rich and strong like Luzianne and not to allow the tea to steep so long that it grows bitter.

Last edited by ellie; 04-02-2007 at 07:06 PM..

Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 PM

2,833 posts, read 9,785,245 times
I use Tetley British Blend, has a real good TEA flavor.... 3 bags to about 6 cups water, just a little REAL sugar or none at all.
I also love my ice tea with a splash of orange juice.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:58 PM

14,874 posts, read 37,249,254 times
Boil a pot of water when boiling turn off and add tea bags and I only use 2 family size tea bags (Luzzaine Decaf). Let steep for at least an hour. In a large pitcher add a cup of sugar and add hot tea and stir. We use bottled water here at home so I then fill the rest up w/ the cold bottled water. Serve over ice. You can add lemon or lime if you like. Hubby likes lime as it takes away from some of the sweetness - then what's the point? DUH!

If you refrigerate tea too soon it can turn cloudy. Also keep your tea pitcher REALLY clean. If you ever get iced tea and it has a funky taste to it they have not cleaned their tea pitcher or tea holder (at restaurants) and the bacteria has grown in it. Tea is a living organism and can grow bacteria so this is VERY important. With each day the tea will get sweeter and usually by the 3rd day is not too good. My mother in law makes her tea so strong you almost don't need a glass it could stand on its own .

I've been told by many people that my sweet tea is the best they have ever had. I don't know what does it if it is the cold bottled water or what. I LOVE Chick-Fil-A's sweet tea. Have to get my daily fix. Starbucks just doesn't do it for me.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:52 AM

89 posts, read 345,832 times
Thanks everyone. I think I know what I'm doing wrong now...not chilling long enough and putting the sugar in at the wrong time.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:34 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,249,254 times
If you don't sweeten the tea while it is hot the sugar will not disolve. Ordering iced tea while dining out that only comes unsweetened is a joke. The sugar never disolves. The only time I even sweeten my tea when out is if it is too strong or a bit bitter just to help w/ the taste. Then the last few drinks near the bottom of the glass are nothing but sugar water. If you must make unsweetened tea at home for any reason but prefer your tea sweet or others have some simple syrup on hand.

Simple syrup is basically boiling a pot of water and then turn it off and add sugar and stir. You can then put it in a small bottle to add to your tea, coffee or other drinks that need some sweetening w/o having to use sugar granuales.

Old 04-03-2007, 10:31 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,322,566 times
Default I must like my ice tea strong!

I add 5-6 tea bags (depending on the brand) to 1/2 gal. of hot tap water to make sunless "sun tea". I let it steep for a few hours on the countertop before I "wring out" the tea bags & add 1/3 cup of sugar & a tsp. of lemon juice. Usually the tea is still warm enough to dissolve the sugar. I agree that the container has to be clean, otherwise I can taste it. I also don't add the lemon juice until after the tea bags come out; the juice seems to stop the tea bags from diffusing the flavor.

Old 04-03-2007, 12:33 PM

585 posts, read 565,632 times
Default Old Southern Recipe for Sweet Tea

I use a 2 qt pot, fill with water and a very small pinch of baking soda. Place on medium high heat and add 4 small bags of Luzianne tea. Let pot boil rapidly for approx. 5 to 10 minutes. While waiting for pot to boil, prepare a gallon pitcher by putting 1 and 1/3 cups of fine granulated Sugar (if you use Dixie Crystal only use 1 cup) and add cold water approx. 1/4 of the pitcher (this is to prevent it from breaking when you add the hot tea). Once your tea has boiled, remove the tea bags and pour into the pitcher while stirring. This will disolve the sugar. Fill the pitcher the remainder of the way up with cold water while stirring. Place in the frig. and let stay there over night. The next day you can enjoy some true Southern Sweet Tea .

Please try this at least once, I had received these instruction from my grandmother and not once has anyone complained! ENJOY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or