Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 04:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Beluga!
On top of pimento cheese.

Doable, salty and savory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 05:56 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
1 8 ounce package of cream cheese

1 jar or fire roasted peppers or whole pimentos (I usually use the Trader Joe's brand Fire Roasted Red Peppers or there is a good Greek brand on the market too (sorry, I have forgotten the name)

Shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)

Salt and pepper to taste

Place the room temperature cream cheese into a food processor. Process until it is smooth. Drain the roasted peppers and add to food processor and pulse just a few times (it will get well processes when you add the shredded cheese). Add the shredded cheese and pulse until it is incorporated. I like my mixture a little chunky and thick. If you think it's not "cheesy" enough, add more cheese. If you like your mixture more smooth, add some mayonnaise. Add salt and pepper to taste.

The spread is great on crackers and as a spread for sandwiches.

Enjoy!!!
Excellent New Years Eve Appetizer! Well Done George!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:00 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
Oh my favorite! Being from the south and living up north, it's hard to share my love of pimento cheese with anyone. I was very glad to see your recipe! Thanks for posting it.
I'm surprised to hear you say that! Anyone who lived through the 1950s -- regardless of where they lived in the USA -- appears to consider pimiento cheese a staple.

Old 01-01-2016, 03:09 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,978,388 times
Used to get the hatch pimento spread at h.e.b. central marker during Chile season.
Nirvana on a cracker!!!

Old 01-05-2016, 03:20 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
AHHHHHH!!!! Teaspoon!!! Sorry!!

You saved a lot of ER visits today, my friend.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
My Mama was Tar Heel born and bred (and when she died she was Tar Heel dead- you have to know the song to appreciate that.) I was raised on pimento cheese. She used a big old ugly meat grinder she attached to the kitchen table and I turned the crank to run it through the plate with holes. It looked like squiggly worms coming out. I had the "task" of cleaning the grinder and there was always lots of cheese stuck in all the channels. Yum Yum. What a memory.

We always used jarred pimentos WITH the juice cause cheese absorbs it. A sprinkle of sugar (light) and DUKE's Mayo- Is there any other?

When I make it I grate my own sharp cheese cause the pregrated is coated with some kind of powder (flour) to keep it from sticking. Sometimes I used room temp cream cheese but never a full block.ALWAYS Duke's Mayo. Sometimes a dash of Lea and Perrins. And now I like to run it through the food processor to make it really creamy.
If we make sandwiches we put Mt. Olive (made in N.C. of course) pickles on the sandwich but mostly I serve it on really cold celery sticks. Over the holidays I kept a covered plate of stuffed celery going in the fridge and everybody ate it day and night.
A good Southern Cook always is happy to serve and eat pimento cheese.

If you add cream cheese it tends to stiften it up in the fridge. I like creamy so it spready easily on bread or celery.

Last edited by no kudzu; 01-07-2016 at 11:13 AM..

Old 01-07-2016, 11:33 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Default What size jar peppers or pimentos?

George, if you're still out there, what SiZE jar of peppers? I have a 12-oz jar of Vlasic fire-roasted peppers but I've also seen the little squat 4-oz jars. Which do you recommend?

Old 01-07-2016, 01:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Unfortunately, pimento cheese spread is something I've yet to appreciate, and that's unusual considering all the types of English tea sandwiches I like.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:15 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
George, if you're still out there, what SiZE jar of peppers? I have a 12-oz jar of Vlasic fire-roasted peppers but I've also seen the little squat 4-oz jars. Which do you recommend?
I use 4 oz pimentos but it has some juice. Does jar of red peppers?

Old 01-07-2016, 04:50 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,412,706 times
I grew up in SE Va and we always had pimento cheese in the house. I don't think anyone made it from scratch, though. Thanks for the recipes - I'm going to make my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes