U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:13 AM

173 posts, read 336,107 times

Advertisements

Does anybody here know how to make homemade ice cream ???

Btw it has to be simple yet effective since I do not have an ice cream machine maker and I live in a third world country ( so the resources are cut off in many ways ... )

Any ideas ????

Remember I can get things but they can NOT be all those " complicated " recipes plus MANY different flavours if possible

- Vanilla
- Chocolate
- Strawberry
- And others if possible
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 10:44 AM

1,634 posts, read 6,032,199 times
I remember reading an article about American service men during WW2 making ice cream out in the field. I don't quite remeber how they did it.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:09 AM

19 posts, read 224,607 times
I found this on the internet. IT's pretty basic:

Milk can become homemade ice cream in five minutes by using a bag!

What you'll need:
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk or half & half
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 6 tablespoons rock salt
  • 1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc)
  • 1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag
  • Ice cubes
How to make it:
  1. Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
  2. Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
  3. Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
  4. Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes.
  5. Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!
Tips:

A 1/2 cup milk will make about 1 scoop of ice cream, so double the recipe if you want more. But don't increase the proportions more that that -- a large amount might be too big for kids to pick-up because the ice itself is heavy.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:17 PM

10 posts, read 9,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattandame View Post
I found this on the internet. IT's pretty basic:

Milk can become homemade ice cream in five minutes by using a bag!

What you'll need:
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk or half & half
  • 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
  • 6 tablespoons rock salt
  • 1 pint-size plastic food storage bag (e.g., Ziploc)
  • 1 gallon-size plastic food storage bag
  • Ice cubes
How to make it:
  1. Fill the large bag half full of ice, and add the rock salt. Seal the bag.
  2. Put milk, vanilla, and sugar into the small bag, and seal it.
  3. Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
  4. Shake until the mixture is ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes.
  5. Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!
Tips:

A 1/2 cup milk will make about 1 scoop of ice cream, so double the recipe if you want more. But don't increase the proportions more that that -- a large amount might be too big for kids to pick-up because the ice itself is heavy.

That was awesome... I will surely try it out!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:10 AM

29 posts, read 41,897 times
I make ice cream in a ziplock bag, but rock salt is way too much trouble.

I take frozen strawberries, heavy whipping cream (from the carton) and some half n half to thin it down a bit. Use whatever sweetner strokes your boat. I use SF Torani Vanilla syrup.

Close the bag with no air inside, then squish around until it's well mixed, thick and creamy.

You can even eat it right out of the bag and not have to mess up a bowl lol.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,135,123 times
I have seen kick the can ice cream. You get one small size empty coffee can and fill it with ice cream recipe above and tape the lid shut .Put the small size coffee can and put it inside the Large coffee can and spread ice and rock salt around then close the lid on the big coffee can. You kick it around for 5 minute and Viola ice cream.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:02 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,317,670 times
I have a recipe I saved in an email from back in the summer months. My sister made this ice cream. It was VERY good. I know she used a make shift double boiler and an ice cream machine. The recipe itself seems as if it will be entirely too sweet but it's so good. Don't cut back on the sugar. I will post it when I can access it from home tonight.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:52 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,747,598 times
To the OP: you mentioned that you are in a third world country. Do you have access to a freezer? (Not an ice cream freezer, but the freezer section of a refrigerator). You will need a freezer to make this but I am going to post it for everyone. It is very, very good! It's creamier and has less ice than a store bought sherbert. My mother found this in the Food Section of the Atlanta Journal during the sixties. I'm posting the original plus a few modifications we made over the years.

Lime Sherbert

1 small package Lime Jello
1 cup hot water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 quart milk or 1 can of evaporated milk and 1 can of water
Dash lemon juice
Dissolve gelatin in water. Add sugar and stir to dissolve. Add lemon juice. Cool. Add milk and freeze in tray.

My hints: I use the evaporated milk. It makes the sherbert a little bit richer. We originally took the lever and cube section out of the metal ice trays (remember those?) and froze the sherbert in them. I use a metal baking pan now. The sherbert is best if you stir it a few times while it's freezing. Completely stir the sherbert in the pan, breaking up the icy pieces. (This way you also get to sneak a little taste!).

Again to the OP: can you please tell us about your kitchen and what equipment is common in your country when you get a chance? I love to know what kitchens and food are like in different parts of the world.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:05 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,713,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivorGirlAL View Post
I make ice cream in a ziplock bag, but rock salt is way too much trouble.

I take frozen strawberries, heavy whipping cream (from the carton) and some half n half to thin it down a bit. Use whatever sweetner strokes your boat. I use SF Torani Vanilla syrup.

Close the bag with no air inside, then squish around until it's well mixed, thick and creamy.

You can even eat it right out of the bag and not have to mess up a bowl lol.
I like that idea, virtually anyone with access to a freezer could make it! In the summers I always make strawberry ice cream from strawberries we pick, with half & half, sugar, and I don't remember much else. We use a small freezer ice cream maker, just stirring the mixture occasionally until it's frozen.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:22 PM

3,168 posts, read 4,317,670 times
I forgot that I was supposed to come back and add a recipe here. Here goes:

5 egg yolks

2/3 cups sugar

1 cup half and half

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup whipping cream

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Beat yolks and sugar until blended. Pour in top of double boiler. Stir in half and half. Cook and stir over boiling water until thickens. Set aside - stir in butter. While cooling on a rack, stir occasionally until room temperature. Stir in whipping cream and vanilla. Freeze according to manufacturers directions.[/SIZE]

Vanilla Ice Cream
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or