Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times

Advertisements

I used paper liners on one batch and did NOT like the results. I like the non stick spray that is specially made for baking. As you can see from my pictures in this thread I bake both mini's and regular size. You can see the edges of the muffins; those were made with non stick spray and teflon coated muffin pans. I go between two different homes and the times are different in each oven but basically the mini's take 1/3 less the time than a regular muffin. Watch your first batch and go from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:22 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,556,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
I know that Jaxson has had some internet connectivity issues in recent months, and it's entirely possible that she might not be logged back in before Thanksgiving. It's not my recipe, but I've made it several times, and have kept notes on the recipe from each time:

Notes: use the 1 1/2-tablespoon-scoop to dip out the batter into the tins. Wondra Flour does improve them. ONLY use high-quality non-stick mini-muffin tins! A narrow flexible scraper works to pry them out, or run a toothpick around the edge to loosen them, but you will likely have some casualties anyway. The tray that baked on the top rack of my oven released most easily.

I have not used either pan spray or muffin papers, but may try one or the other next time. Of the two, I'd be more inclined to try the pan spray, because the batter caramelizes on the outside, and I'd be afraid the paper would wind up permanently cemented to the muffins. (Extra fiber is a good thing, but I do draw the line at eating paper.)

I do recall Jaxson mentioning that it's possible to make them in full-size cupcake tins, but I don't remember how that changes the baking time. Just guessing, I'd probably start checking them at about 30-35 minutes if I did them in cupcake pans. I'll do a search on Jaxson's posts, too, and see if I can find the reference.

I will also add that every time I've made these (for treat day at the office), the tray was down to the crumbs by mid-morning, even though the recipe makes up over 60 of them. They are rich, sweet, crunchy/chewy and thoroughly decadent, and your guests will love them. Enjoy - and thanks again to Jaxson's DD for both inventing the recipe and sharing it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Ok, I found a couple of Jaxson's earlier posts that might offer some insights.

On baking time for full-size muffins rather than minis: http://www.city-data.com/forum/10351888-post46.html. In my experience, the mini size took 20 minutes to bake, so at least in my oven, I'd figure on 28 to 30 minutes for the full size.

On using butter to grease the tins, plus tips to remove them intact from the pans: http://www.city-data.com/forum/16962016-post70.html. Based on that, I'd maybe try one pan with pan spray and one without; butter does scorch more easily, but it seems like pan spray might be less prone to that. Remember, the recipe itself already has a LOT of melted butter in it, so if anything is used in the pans, it should probably be something other than butter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
I used paper liners on one batch and did NOT like the results. I like the non stick spray that is specially made for baking. As you can see from my pictures in this thread I bake both mini's and regular size. You can see the edges of the muffins; those were made with non stick spray and teflon coated muffin pans. I go between two different homes and the times are different in each oven but basically the mini's take 1/3 less the time than a regular muffin. Watch your first batch and go from there.
Thanks for the updates. Trial and Error starts tomorrow. Full size pan with spray. I don't really like anything Teflon. I'm stainless and cast iron hard headed when it comes to pots and pans. I'll give some feed back as soon as I have some. Some I've eaten that is.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Holy wow. These are good. The burning question at this point is, "Will there be any left by the time the guests get here?"

I either hallucinated having mini muffin pans, or the gremlins took them away. I only have giant muffins pans, and pans to make muffin tops, so I picked up a three-pack of disposable foil mini muffin tins. I used flour baking spray, no muffin papers. I was concerned that the muffin cups were so small--just a tablespoon or so of batter in each one--but the batter yielded 36 mini muffins (used all three trays once) and six muffin tops.

While they were baking, my husband called, "What is that smell and when can I eat it?"

Eighteen minutes. I probably could have given them another minute. Don't take them out too soon, because they are moist and have to set a bit. I know Jaxson warned about cooling them too much, so I tried lifting them out and mushed a couple. I let them cool in the pans for about five minutes, then used a butter knife to wiggle the edge a bit and pop them free. My edges are a medium brown, and the tops are very chewy and yummy.

Somebody hide them from me, please.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 PM

LOL! So make a second batch. (we won't tell)

Old 11-22-2011, 10:45 PM

I left the muffin tops in the pan too long. Those are ... really in there. I think we may have to eat those tomorrow, because they will be destroyed anyway. Win-win.

Old 11-23-2011, 12:46 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
OK, I'm gonna make these. I've got folks that absolutely love pecan pie, and folks who love it but don't like too much of the treacle and texture, so it's a great in-between. What I'm dreading is the pan-sticking. I'd like to go ahead and buy some silicon muffin pans. Would there be a timing difference?

Old 11-23-2011, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
OK, I'm gonna make these. I've got folks that absolutely love pecan pie, and folks who love it but don't like too much of the treacle and texture, so it's a great in-between. What I'm dreading is the pan-sticking. I'd like to go ahead and buy some silicon muffin pans. Would there be a timing difference?
Hi Bunjee,

Glad that you are going to make these (and thanks for the rep). I hate using silicone pans so I am of no help here. I just wanted to say welcome to the Pecan Pie Muffin Fan Club. Ha!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:42 AM

nom nom nom snarf mmmf

Sorry, my mouth was full. The sticking wasn't bad for me, except on the batch that I let cool too much. And this morning they pried out okay. They just tear apart a bit, but they taste great!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,180,053 times
While searching for an old thread on something else I saw this one and now it is at the top of my list to make for Christmas dinner.

Glad y'all are enjoying them I told Beretta I didn't know there was a Pecan Pie Muffin fan club how fun!

Old 12-22-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
While searching for an old thread on something else I saw this one and now it is at the top of my list to make for Christmas dinner.

Glad y'all are enjoying them I told Beretta I didn't know there was a Pecan Pie Muffin fan club how fun!
Now my mouth is watering AGAIN! These things are to die for! I am making some for Christmas morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes