Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:14 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,561,361 times

Advertisements

Getting sick of the same thing over and over again so need some good and healthy and fairly kid friendly recipes. I also try to keep the salt and preservatives to a minimum. The only thing I don't like is mushrooms

I bought some frozen cod the other day but have no idea how to make it. And we eat chicken breasts several times a day.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 PM

1,192 posts, read 2,469,972 times
You could make fish tacos with your cod. An indoor grill pan will work to cook the fish if you don't feel like grilling outside.

YouTube - Fish Taco Recipe

Old 06-04-2009, 01:54 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,954,636 times
I do potstickers a lot. Use ground turkey if you're looking for low fat.

1lb ground turkey/pork
1 scallion, chopped
1 cup minced cabbage (super-fine, almost pulverized)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tbsp hoisin sauce

1 pk wonton wrappers

(Dipping sauce- soy sweetened with hoisin and ginger to your taste)

Mix all together, put as much mix as will fit into each wrapper, moisten the edges, and press firmly to close. Steam or boil, and it's just as good as chinese takeout..but healthier. Double or triple the recipe...they freeze great.

Korean Lettuce Wraps

2lb thinly sliced beef (london broil or eye round- freeze it halfway and shave it)
1/4 cup jarred bulgogi sauce
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup water or water with lime juice
1 sliced onion

Toss together, marinade, stir fry quickly, then serve in pieces of green leaf lettuce with sliced garlic, green onion, and other veggies.

I like doing asian and ethnic because it tastes like bad for you takeout, but it's healthy. I also do shrimp (shell on) tossed on a bed of raw veggies, then wrapped in a foil packet with grill seasoning, lemon, and water. 20 minutes at 400 degrees..dinner is done and no need to do dishes.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:55 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,954,636 times
Oh wait..you said low salt.

Huh, I'm actually pretty bad at low sodium cooking. But you can use low sodium soy, and limit the amount.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:54 PM

Mmmm, lettuce wraps. those sound good. my soy sauce is low sodium but everyonce in a while wouldn't hurt. I'm startig to think about pf changs right now, they have the best lettuce wraps!

Old 06-07-2009, 05:46 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,741,157 times
I really like to use blackening seasoning on cod. I have to watch my sodium, so I don't use much. Melt about teaspoon of low fat margarine (I like Blue Bonnet light the best) in a non-stick pan, get it hot and then add the cod. Will cook in just a few minutes and turn the fish over. I sometimes use catfish for this too. My grandkids love this.

Oven Fried Chicken. Mix about 1 cups of dry mashed potato flakes, several shakes of paprika, 2 tablespoons flour, a few shakes of low salt and pepper. Dip pieces of chicken in milk and then in the potato flake mixture. Place on a cookie sheet sprayed with canola spray (I use the kind at Dollar General). Then spray the chicken all over with canola spray and place in oven set at 375. When it looks like it is brown on the bottom, turn it over. Total cooking about 50 to 60 minutes (depends on your oven)

Dessert. Dump one package of either lime or strawberry sugar free jello in a medium bowl. Add 1/3 cup
very hot water and mix until jello appears dissolved. Add one container of yoplait yogurt, either key lime with lime jello or strawberry with strawberry jello, then mix. Mix in 3/4 of an 8 ounces container of low fat or light cool whip. Put all of this in a purchased graham cracker crust....cool until set....enjoy. The kids will love this!! NOTE: If you use other than yoplait yogurt, only use about 2/3 of the yogurt...using the larger containers make the pie soupy. Also can make this with regular jello.

Last edited by doll lady; 06-07-2009 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-07-2009, 06:00 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,741,157 times
Oops ... I forgot to add the following recipe.

Taco Soup
1 or 2 pounds of ground turkey or ground round or ground chuck (browned and greased rinsed with hot water)
1 medium onion...chopped and browned with meat
1 can chili beans (don't drain these)
1 can black beans (rinsed well...or can use red beans if preferred)
1 small can Rotel tomatoes....any style you prefer (original, Mexican, super hot, etc)
1 small can unsalted tomato sauce
1 pkg low sodium taco mix
1/2 package Hidden Valley Dip Mix....dry (can add more if you want it more salty)
2 cans unsalted whole kernal corn (drain)
2 1/2 cups water

Brown the meat and onion and drain and rinse.....add the taco mix and Hidden Valley and mix in with the meat. Then add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil then reduce to simmer. Cook for at least 30 minutes on simmer.

I can almost bet this will be a hit with your kids....and you too!

Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 AM

I don't make it often but I LOVE my taco soup. Sounds very similiar to yours except I add olives. And you are right, it is a hit with everyone!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:27 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,150,285 times
Italian Wedding Soup (from Weight Watchers)

1/2 lb ground turkey
1 large egg white
2 tbs bread crumbs
1 1/2 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
8 cups of fat free chicken broth
2 cup escarole sliced thin
1/2 c onion thinly sliced
1/3 c shredded carrots

combine the turkey, egg white, bread crumbs, cheese, oregano and garlic powder; shape into small balls.

large pot - heat broth to boiling; stir in vegies and meatballs. continue boiling until meatballs float to the top and escarole is wilted.

you can even add 1 1/2 c of noodles.

My kids don't like onions, so what I do is put them in the food processor so they go un-noticed.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:16 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,153,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
I do potstickers a lot. Use ground turkey if you're looking for low fat.

1lb ground turkey/pork
1 scallion, chopped
1 cup minced cabbage (super-fine, almost pulverized)
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
2 tbsp hoisin sauce

1 pk wonton wrappers

(Dipping sauce- soy sweetened with hoisin and ginger to your taste)

Mix all together, put as much mix as will fit into each wrapper, moisten the edges, and press firmly to close. Steam or boil, and it's just as good as chinese takeout..but healthier. Double or triple the recipe...they freeze great.

Korean Lettuce Wraps

2lb thinly sliced beef (london broil or eye round- freeze it halfway and shave it)
1/4 cup jarred bulgogi sauce
1/8 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup water or water with lime juice
1 sliced onion

Toss together, marinade, stir fry quickly, then serve in pieces of green leaf lettuce with sliced garlic, green onion, and other veggies.

I like doing asian and ethnic because it tastes like bad for you takeout, but it's healthy. I also do shrimp (shell on) tossed on a bed of raw veggies, then wrapped in a foil packet with grill seasoning, lemon, and water. 20 minutes at 400 degrees..dinner is done and no need to do dishes.
I'm going to try the pot stickers today. They sound great. With the ones that I will freeze- is that before cooking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes