Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 10:08 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,906 times

Advertisements

I am looking to a cake in fondant and am wanting to know if anyone has a good, somewhat easy recipe for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 10:20 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmngrl8203 View Post
I am looking to a cake in fondant and am wanting to know if anyone has a good, somewhat easy recipe for it?
Fondant can be a little tricky. If you do not get the measurements and tempertures exactly right, it will have problems. Have you thought about buying it instead? It can be purchased at higher end grocery stores or on the internet. If you do want to give it a try, here is the recipe I use:
  • 1 (.25 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
  • 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1/2 cup glucose syrup (found at higher end grocery & baking stores)
  • 1 tablespoon glycerin (found at higher end grocery & baking stores)
  • 2 tablespoons shortening
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 8 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
DIRECTIONS
  1. Combine gelatin and cold water; let stand until thick. Place gelatin mixture in top of double boiler and heat until dissolved.
  2. Add glucose and glycerin, mix well. Stir in shortening and just before completely melted, remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Mixture should cool until lukewarm.
  3. Place 4 cups confectioners' sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and using a wooden spoon, stir in the lukewarm gelatin mixture. Mix in sugar and add more a little at a time, until stickiness disappears. Knead in remaining sugar. Knead until the fondant is smooth, pliable and does not stick to your hands. If fondant is too soft, add more sugar; if too stiff, add water (a drop at a time). Use fondant immediately or store in airtight container in fridge. When ready to use, bring to room temperature and knead again until soft.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 AM

648 posts, read 1,641,443 times
Do you make a cake and then just put this stuff on top? It sounds like fun.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:37 AM

4,677 posts, read 2,060,906 times
I thought about using the store bought one but several people have said that it doesnt taste very good, unlike the homemade stuff.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 AM

507 posts, read 2,296,850 times
I'v seen the boxes of it at Walmart, and have always wanted to try it on a cake, but never have. I think you mix it with something, water/milk etc. then roll it out thin and cover your sheet or layer cakes with it. Makes a very smooth surface to decorate on.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:46 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnhoneypot View Post
I'v seen the boxes of it at Walmart, and have always wanted to try it on a cake, but never have. I think you mix it with something, water/milk etc. then roll it out thin and cover your sheet or layer cakes with it. Makes a very smooth surface to decorate on.
The best type to purchase is the ready made Fondant - not the mix (that stuff tastes like paste from what I understand). Good quality fondant tastes like sugar but it isn't too sweet. When using fondant crumb coat your cake with a good (but not too thick) layer of buttercream frosting for the best and most even results. Refridgerate the cake to harden the buttercream while you roll out the fondant. Since it can be sticky, dust your rolling surface and rolling pin with confectioners sugar. WHen getting ready to roll it out, knead the fondant in your hands for a bit until it is plyable. Roll the fondant out using cross strokes so it will be an even layer. To place it on the cake, dust lightly with confectioners sugar and roll the fondant up on the rolling pin. Position over the cake and unroll the fondant. Use a spatula (or any straight edge) to gently smooth the fondant across the top and sides until you have an even and smooth look. I use a pizza wheel to cut the excess off the bottom. Put the cake back into the fridge again before trying to do any further decorations. Its important not to let the buttercream underneath to get too soft as it will absorb into the fondant and make it mushy or bleed through!. Most importantly.....Have fun! Working with fondant isn't difficult once you get the hang of it and it certainly makes a very pretty cake!

Last edited by Va-Cat; 07-21-2009 at 02:57 PM..

Old 07-29-2009, 09:45 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,776 times
At wrok so I don't have the ratios but it's marshmellows, powdered sugar and dream whip. Wally world has it around $18ish for 5lbs. Would be lucky to get 3 standard cakes out of it.

It's very unforgiving. If you mess up, you generally have to re-roll it out. Also may take you a few times to get the sides smooth without tearing. I still have difficulty, but sometimes get lucky and get it right the first time. Watch youtube videos before you start...

Old 07-29-2009, 10:47 AM

497 posts, read 1,176,299 times
I recently attended a baby shower where the rather large cake was covered in fondant. Beautiful cake, but I noticed many of the guests peel it off and eat the cake without it. I wasn't wild about it either. Thankfully, the cake had been crumb coated with butter cream under the fondant.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:32 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,700,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60'sGal View Post
I recently attended a baby shower where the rather large cake was covered in fondant. Beautiful cake, but I noticed many of the guests peel it off and eat the cake without it. I wasn't wild about it either. Thankfully, the cake had been crumb coated with butter cream under the fondant.
You bring up an interesting point about you should taste it before using. It's different tasting. All cakes should have the crumb coat as it glues the fondant to the cake.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:14 PM

1,821 posts, read 5,148,567 times
all credit goes to a person named bunnywoman from the Wilton website

This is what my wife uses, it tastes good and these directions are great!

Marshmallow fondant is fabulous! I love the taste and it is very easy to work with. Wilton fondant is wonderful to work with but just tastes awful!!!!! I can't bring myself to place it on a cake and go through all that work for someone to give a horrible "face" and peel it off and eat the buttercream icing that lies below.

The recipe is as follows:

Marshmallow fondant
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 tbsp water
1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup powder sugar

Place marshmallows in a standard 1 cup measuring cup and push down and pack them in. Place in a microwave safe bowl and add the water. Put in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Just long enough for them to soften and puff up. Take out and stir with a spoon until it is combined well. At this point it looks kind of soupy. Then add the sugar and mix and fold until all is incorporated and it is no longer sticky. I take it out of the bowl when it gets to the point where most of the sugar is incorporated and I knead it in my hands. This takes roughly about 5-7 minutes. Take a fondant roller or a regular rolling pin and roll out just as you would Wilton's fondant. You can get this fondant almost paper thin and it also repairs well. It's cheap, easy to work with, and tastes great too.

You can make a large batch of this fondant as well by doing this:

Large batch of Marshmallow fondant
1- 16 oz bag of mini marshmallows
2 tbsps water
2 lbs powdered sugar (8 cups)

Do the same procedure as above.

Tips for success from Bunny:
I add any flavor Lorann Oil flavorings to this. Something that will compliment my cake well. What I do is cut back on the water and add about 1/8 tsp Lorann flavoring. You can certainly add more (especially if I make the large batch) for a more of a pungent flavor, just adjust the water amount accordingly. *****The more liquid you add to this will make it stickier to work with. Try to be accurate in measuring the liquid.*****

Stickiness??????
If it is way to sticky to work with then cut back on the amount of liquid that you used by about 1/2 tsp. This will help.
Let it sit out and "air dry" for about 10 minutes.
Use a small amount of Crisco on your work surface and hands. A little goes a very long ways so don't go over board with the Crisco.

Knead the dough with a spoon!!!!! Do not attempt to pick it up and knead it too soon. This dough is hot when comes right out of the microwave!!!!! I say this because I have had people contact me saying they received a burn from it. I can almost knead it fully with a spoon.

Dough that is not in use must stay covered with plastic wrap or it will dry out. Or place it in a Ziploc bag. That works too.

Dried out Marshmallow fondant: place it back into the microwave and nuke it for a few seconds to revive it back to its original state. The bigger the batch the more time on the microwave. Example: small batch 3-5 seconds.......large batch about 10 seconds. Microwaves vary too so keep that in mind.

Coloring: well I have experimented with this several different ways. If I want to make the whole batch of Marshmallow fondant one color then I have added the color, just Wilton paste color, Americolors, or Chefmaster colors.....any will work for this, when I pull the bowl out of the microwave when it looks "soupy". Stirred it up and then added the powdered sugar. Otherwise I have added it after it has come together and kneaded it in by hand. I use plastic gloves too when I do this, because otherwise your hands are never the same!!!!

You can work with this just as you would the regular fondant. Pizza rollers cut this very well. Ribbon cutters work fabulous too for this. I can make bows and drapes, push molds etc with this. I love the taste of this stuff. Great on the pocketbook too!!!!!!

If I left anything out please feel free to contact me. If anyone wants to add to this message PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DO SO. This way newcomers and old timers here have a reference to do a "search" on.

Happy Decorating!
Bunnywoman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes