U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 05:11 PM

914 posts, read 3,937,912 times

Advertisements

Instead of mayo or sour cream a friend taught me to use a little ranch dressing. It actually adds a bit to the flavor and even just a little smooths the texture out so nicely!

My "pantry" guac recipe (called so because other than avocados, all the ingredients are easily found in my pantry-quick and no chopping!) is avocados, lemon juice, ranch dressing, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and black pepper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 05:18 PM

2,745 posts, read 13,091,933 times
I think it's interesting, the variety of recipes here, probably reflects where we are from as well...

Here's the recipe I grew up on:

Avocado
A little mayo (just for creami-ness, you can't really taste it)
Lemon juice
salsa or pico

All mashed with a fork!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:22 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,109,441 times
I didn't grow up eating guacamole, but I learned how to make it when we lived in the Rio Grande Valley for 18 years. My version is as follows:

3 good ripe avocados (they should feel like a perfectly ripe peach when you press them gently)
half an onion, grated
Lemon or lime juice - couple of tablespoons' worth
Diced tomatoes, preferably Roma
Grated fresh garlic or garlic powder
If the guac is going to be out for a while, mix in a half teaspoon of cream of tartar to minimize the blackening

I mash the avocado with one of those old-fashioned potato mashers, and we like the resulting texture a lot. And I started using a grater for the onion when my kids were small and insisted that they "hated" onion; they ate it with onion in it for years before I fessed up, and I still use the grater because it releases all the juice to mingle in with the rest of the ingredients.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:28 PM

4,639 posts, read 5,083,572 times
Avocado (Haas) rough chopped. Lime juice. Chipotle powder. Cilantro. Bits of sun dried tomato. Cumin. Teeny minced onion. Salt. Blend by hand lightly and eat. Answer to no one who tells you that you "must" eat it in a certain way.

Old 08-12-2009, 06:34 PM

2,970 posts, read 6,257,925 times
I just whipped up a batch of "my" guacamole tonight for dinner. Here's how I make it (for two people):

2 avocados
1 jalapeno with seeds, chopped
some red onion, finely chopped
two cloves of garlic
a few cherry tomatoes, quartered
salt
pepper
lime juice
splash of hot sauce

SO GOOD!!

Old 08-12-2009, 07:01 PM

3,064 posts, read 5,568,735 times
Use lemon NOT lime.
NO ONE adds sugar to guacamole. If anything, it needs salt.
The sour cream is per/taste. I don't mix the sour cream, maybe a dollop on top.
Don't over mash the avocados. The avocado chunks should be as big or bigger than the tomato and onion pieces.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 PM

30,513 posts, read 33,327,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
I just whipped up a batch of "my" guacamole tonight for dinner. Here's how I make it (for two people):

2 avocados
1 jalapeno with seeds, chopped
some red onion, finely chopped
two cloves of garlic
a few cherry tomatoes, quartered
salt
pepper
lime juice
splash of hot sauce

SO GOOD!!
That is almost exactly how I make mine (depending on whether or not I have all the ingredients on hand!). Never add mayo, sour cream, ranch, etc. That makes it some kind of "dip" but NOT guacamole! Sometimes I put in in a bowl and then add a little shredded jack cheese on top. I had it that way is a restaurant once and it stuck with me

Old 08-16-2009, 04:39 PM

36,949 posts, read 45,385,657 times
Sounds good, but I'll still weigh in with mine...I don't want it too smooth and I don't want a bunch of strong flavors covering up the delicate taste of the avocado.
2 avocados, mashed with fork or pastry blender
juice of 1/2 lime
salt/pepper
1 teas. chili powder
1T mayonnaise
1T minced fresh cilantro (optional)

Mix well and serve.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:23 PM

11,544 posts, read 25,915,151 times
Guacamole is interesting. Different parts of the country make it differently.

3 Avacado
1 clove garlic
1-Tbsp. peanut oil (does not alter flavor)
water as needed for thinning
fresh tomato to tase
salt to taste
lime juice
lemon juice
Hot sauce to taste. (We don't eat hot peppers)

I process mine as thick, thin, or chunky as I need. Most of the time I I use this with a layered salad I make. Anyone who is interested can DM me for the recipe

Old 08-16-2009, 08:06 PM

424 posts, read 944,157 times
Default Simple but good.

I mash the avocados, add some onion, cilantro and sprinkle it with salt. MAYBE a little garlic powder. And sometimes I throw in a little bit of tomato. For those who like it spicy, I'll dice some jalapeños. No sour cream, no olives, no blender, no lime juice.

There's a chain of restaurants in CA that make the guacamole for you table side. I believe it was El Torrito.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or