U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 04:01 PM

481 posts, read 641,057 times

Advertisements

Anyone here have a rice cooker? Here's a great easy dinner:

Into a rice cooker put:

2 cups dry pasta (I use Penne)
2 cups water or broth (I use veggie broth)
1 cup favorite bottled spaghetti sauce
1/4 cup shredded parmesan or mozzerella cheese

Cover and start rice cooker. When it dings about 18 minutes later, open lid, stir and serve.

I love the way the broth deepens the flavor of the pasta. Sometimes we add a diced zucchini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 04:02 PM

481 posts, read 641,057 times
This is the one I have. It is our favorite kitchen appliance!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=288A3aEIQjg

You can even bake a cake in it.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:39 AM

69 posts, read 157,839 times
Default Rice Cooker Recipes

I have a rice cooker and use on occasion...would like to use it more....would appreciate your recipes and ideas....thanks

Old 01-02-2011, 08:33 AM

15,320 posts, read 27,467,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
I have a rice cooker and use on occasion...would like to use it more....would appreciate your recipes and ideas....thanks
I am in the same boat as you are. I look forward to cooking in it in the new year.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:45 AM

517 posts, read 2,278,599 times
Looking into getting a rice cooker - I heard that Zojirushi is the best brand but I'm curious to know what brands of rice cookers people on here use/prefer.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
Looking into getting a rice cooker - I heard that Zojirushi is the best brand but I'm curious to know what brands of rice cookers people on here use/prefer.
Hi Karen,

A number of years ago, we shelled out big bucks for a Zojirushi rice cooker because it was "the best" rice cooker out there. Well, a few years later, it went wonky -- even though we always made the same amount of rice, water kept coming out of the vent, clogging it, etc...

Eh. It was a mess to clean up every time.

So, we got this AROMA brand rice cooker from Amazon: Amazon.com: Aroma ARC-838TC 8-Cup Digital Rice Cooker & Food Steamer: Kitchen & Dining

We've had it for about three years and LOVE it. No problems. No water coming out the vent. Easy to clean up. And MUCH less expensive than the Zojirushi... and, of course, it makes rice just as well.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:55 PM

15,320 posts, read 27,467,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Hi Karen,

A number of years ago, we shelled out big bucks for a Zojirushi rice cooker because it was "the best" rice cooker out there. Well, a few years later, it went wonky -- even though we always made the same amount of rice, water kept coming out of the vent, clogging it, etc...

Eh. It was a mess to clean up every time.

So, we got this AROMA brand rice cooker from Amazon: Amazon.com: Aroma ARC-838TC 8-Cup Digital Rice Cooker & Food Steamer: Kitchen & Dining

We've had it for about three years and LOVE it. No problems. No water coming out the vent. Easy to clean up. And MUCH less expensive than the Zojirushi... and, of course, it makes rice just as well.
Dawn, will you please share some recipes?

Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Dawn, will you please share some recipes?
Oops, I answered her question about the rice cooker brand in the Recipes thread, didn't I?

OK, recipes:

1. Rice Jasmine, basmati, whatever kind...

2. Steel-cut oatmeal

3. Risotto. OK, still rice, but it's trickier than on the stovetop. Less labor-intensive, but trickier as far as timing is concerned:

Melt a tablespoon of butter in the rice cooker
Then add a tablespoon of olive oil
Add 1 cup Arborio rice and coat it with the olive oil/butter
Add 1/4 cup of white wine, stir it all up
Add 6 cups of broth
Let the rice cooker do its thing

BUT!

Don't wait for the rice cooker to turn itself off when the rice is done. You've got to catch it when it's still wet, otherwise it's not risotto -- it's a solidified mass of rice.

So, open it after 20 minutes or so to see how much liquid is left, and keep checking every few minutes until there's only a bit of liquid left.

At that point, turn off the rice cooker, add your parmesan cheese, and serve immediately.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:42 AM

3,852 posts, read 8,257,155 times
I got a rice cooker for Christmas (score!!!) and have already used it twice--once for Calrose rice and once for short-grain brown rice. I had no idea you can actually COOK with a rice cooker (besides rice). I love this thread!

My family has an awesome rice recipe we make in the oven. I'm going to try it in my rice cooker and if it turns out, I'll post it on here!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:04 AM

Look what I found, boys and girls!

Rice Cooker Recipes Cookbook - Food.com - 80457
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes