U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 09:17 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,617,562 times

Advertisements

My cup runneth over with field peas right now! I am looking for some good recipes, I know y'all have some!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 07:39 AM

1,176 posts, read 1,583,174 times
I don't like peas much but I do like those tiny ones in a can on the following salad. My hubby likes peas a lot so I do cook them occasionally so I wanted to come up with a way to use the other half of the can. Here's what I do:

Put some shredded slaw mix or just chop some cabbage on a salad plate or salad bowl. Mix about 2 tablespoons of mayo or miracle whip with 1 tablespoon (or more to taste) of Horseradish mustard and about 1-2 tablespoons of milk. Put a dab on top of the shredded slaw mix and place a couple of spoons of cold peas from the can on top.

This makes a good quick salad for a change of pace. I'm assuming a person could eat blanched and chilled peas from the garden on a salad like this.

Old 08-24-2009, 04:54 PM

23,440 posts, read 31,617,562 times
thanks, will give it a try!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,179,788 times
The more peas the better in this one. Makes it *colorful*

Baked Chicken Curry and Noodle Casserole
Serving Size : 6
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
12 ounces Medium Egg Noodles -- uncooked
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts -- cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 small red onion -- diced (about 3/4 cup)
3 teaspoons curry powder (3-4 teaspoons)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 10-ounce can evaporated milk, or evaporated skim milk
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 cups peas
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
Salt and pepper -- to taste

Prepare pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, heat the oven to 375F. Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and onion and stir until the chicken begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Add the curry powder and continue stirring 2 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth and reduce heat to low. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and evaporated milk together until the cornstarch is dissolved. Stir the cornstarch into the skillet, heat to simmering and simmer 2 minutes.

Pour the contents of the skillet into a large bowl. When the pasta is done, drain well. Add the cooked pasta, peas, mushrooms, lemon juice and salt and pepper to the curry sauce. Toss well. Pour the mixture into an 11 9-inch baking dish and sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Bake until the edges are bubbling and the crumbs are golden brown, about 15 minutes.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:32 PM

23,865 posts, read 22,730,233 times
Fresh... Green Beans ~ Yellow Beans ~ cook till almost done... cool add to a non-reactive bowl. Add kidney beans... Northern Beans can or home made on either.. all nice and chilled. Add Good Seasons Italian salad dressing the one you make with oil & vinegar... pour over the beans... add onion ~ green peppers ~ garlic all to taste... Then fresh or store bought parm cheese and serve cold...
Make what you need for those your serving... One pack of Good Seasons is good for 3-5 people..depending on how much dressing you want at the bottom of the bowl... need to toss just before serving.. Salt & good cracked pepper

The kidney ~ northern beans and green ~yellow peppers are for accent colors add to "your taste"...

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 08-25-2009 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes