U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:55 AM

71,547 posts, read 83,047,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Egg salad and deviled eggs don't provide the same eating experience. Both the taste and feel in the mouth are different. I tried it once; never again.

I don't eat sweet deviled eggs. Here's my recipe for Deviled Eggs Pomona, my own recipe.

12 relatively soft hard cooked eggs
6 dashes Tabasco (original)
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tbsp Grey Poupon Mustard
Hellman's or Best Foods or homemade mayo
Salt

Slice eggs and transfer yolks to a small bowl. Add Tabasco, vinegar, and mustard; blend until smooth. Then add salt and mayo in alternating small amounts until reaching correct taste and texture. This recipe assumes the use of extra large eggs. If you're using different or unsized eggs you'll need to adjust the number. The apple cider vinegar imparts a delightful hint of smokiness.

There's a reason I call this dish Pomona; does anyone know what it is? If you don't see it you'll kick yourself when I supply the answer. Hint: it has nothing to do with the city of that name.

I've made deviled eggs using all sorts of ingredients; these are the best.
I completely agree, they are two different dishes. I also like green onions in egg salad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 11:15 AM

36,431 posts, read 41,537,922 times
To me, paprika adds negligible taste to really pretty much anything it's in. I've had it as a garnish, as an ingredient, I've had well-made Hungarian dishes, paprikash, etc. It looks pretty, but the taste doesn't add much, to my palate.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,489,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
To me, paprika adds negligible taste to really pretty much anything it's in. I've had it as a garnish, as an ingredient, I've had well-made Hungarian dishes, paprikash, etc. It looks pretty, but the taste doesn't add much, to my palate.
Try better paprika. Supermarket paprika is bland, but good fresh hot paprika is quite spicy, and smoked paprika is unbelievable!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:45 PM

36,431 posts, read 41,537,922 times
I knew you were gonna say that, but no...I've tried quality spices and entrees from quality chefs, and I don't get any spices at the supermarket...it's just not "my" flavor.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:05 PM

9,508 posts, read 10,804,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Try better paprika. Supermarket paprika is bland, but good fresh hot paprika is quite spicy, and smoked paprika is unbelievable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I knew you were gonna say that, but no...I've tried quality spices and entrees from quality chefs, and I don't get any spices at the supermarket...it's just not "my" flavor.
Inasmuch as I don't have my own personal spice trader roving the seven seas I'm limited to ordinary spice retailers whether they be supermarkets or mail order houses. Where do you two buy your spices?

If you have the address of Imre in Hungary or Diego in Spain please post it.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:23 PM

11,336 posts, read 20,093,482 times
I MUST add horseradish to my deviled eggs.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 PM

36,833 posts, read 45,247,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ketchup in egg salad? Pass.

A touch of dry mustard instead. I made an excellent potato salad the other day, with hard boiled eggs, crisp celery, red peppers, red onion, parsley, and a light oil vinegar dressing, it was delicious.
There is dry mustard in it, but don't knock the ketchup until you try it. My DH hates ketchup, but he looooves the deviled eggs.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:09 PM

12,971 posts, read 23,489,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Inasmuch as I don't have my own personal spice trader roving the seven seas I'm limited to ordinary spice retailers whether they be supermarkets or mail order houses. Where do you two buy your spices?.
Here, try this... Chiquilin "Pimenton Ahumado"

Chiquilin Smoked Paprika Tin 2.64oz: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

Old 07-09-2013, 05:16 PM

9,508 posts, read 10,804,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
That's the Spanish smoked paprika I buy; it's good. But anybody can buy from amazon. There's a place in town that sells it as well. I thought you had some special connection.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:20 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,831,775 times
I make my egg salad and deviled eggs the same way. Mash the yolks with stone ground mustard, touch of garlic aioli, touch of cayenne and parsley. For deviled eggs, I sprinkle/dust with smoked paprika on top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or