Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:13 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,771,044 times

Advertisements

I just can't make hashbrowns turn out. Either they burn or never get done. Maybe I am suppose to use more oil. All I do is put a little oil in the pan; enough to give a light coat. Maybe that's the problem. Drown the potatoes in oil? But I hate to do that because I don't want all that cholesterol in me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 01:15 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Search for potato rösti recipes. I think they are much tastier than hash browns.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:20 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
I just can't make hashbrowns turn out. Either they burn or never get done. Maybe I am suppose to use more oil. All I do is put a little oil in the pan; enough to give a light coat. Maybe that's the problem. Drown the potatoes in oil? But I hate to do that because I don't want all that cholesterol in me.
Love, love, love my new healthy indulgence: Crispy Sweet Potato Hashbrowns

Old 04-17-2017, 01:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Do you get the water out of the potatoes before cooking?

Old 04-17-2017, 01:24 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do you get the water out of the potatoes before cooking?
That's the secret to perfect rösti, so I'm sure it's important for hash browns. I squeeze the shredded potatoes and they release an amazing amount of water.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:49 PM

5,321 posts, read 3,204,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerman View Post
Drown the potatoes in oil? But I hate to do that because I don't want all that cholesterol in me.
Uh what?

Reading this probably means that you are a novice cook (nothing wrong with that) but given that you haven't provided any details (method, temperature, quantities of potatoes and oil) means that you might do well to stick to a recipe, make it successfully once and then tweak as needed.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:07 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosox 15 View Post
uh what?

Reading this probably means that you are a novice cook (nothing wrong with that) but given that you haven't provided any details (method, temperature, quantities of potatoes and oil) means that you might do well to stick to a recipe, make it successfully once and then tweak as needed.
+1.

Old 04-17-2017, 02:55 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Making hashbrowns is more work than I'm looking for in the morning. Instead, I cut red or yellow potatoes into bite-sized pieces, toss them in just enough olive oil to coat, salt, rosemary, and pepper, and roast them in a preheated 375-degree oven for 35-40 minutes (time depends on desired degree of doneness). I use an enameled cast iron roasting pan and parchment paper (essential if you don't want your potatoes to stick). I make enough for one person. If you're making more, they might need to cook a bit longer.

Old 04-17-2017, 05:26 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
FYI. Cholesterol is only found in animal products or animal fat. If you are using a vegetable oil, you will not get any cholesterol.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:05 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,904,323 times
Here's hot to do it:

To prep: peel raw russet potatoes; shred potatoes with a cheese grater (through medium holes) into a bowl of cold water (to remove starch)-- don't just rinse them under the water faucet; drain bowl of water and put wet shredded potatoes onto triple thick layers of paper towels on a plate; gently, but firmly, press down on shredded potatoes between three more layers of paper towels to remove water; remove shredded potatoes from sopping wet paper towels and put into a dry bowl and microwave on medium heat for two minutes; without microwave, put potatoes onto paper towels and put them covered with more paper towels in the refrigerator until ready to cook.

To cook: heat frying pan (or griddle) to medium heat; add just enough vegetable oil to cover bottom of pan, and allow oil to heat up; remove shredded potatoes from refrigerator and lay them flat in the oil; add salt and pepper; cook for ten minutes without touching them until browned, then turn over potatoes, and cook for another ten minutes.

Eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes