Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 03:38 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,543 times

Advertisements

Hey cookie monsters! Today I baked snickerdoodle cookies using half coconut oil and half butter. They turned out well---a little on the moist side for my liking, but tasty nonetheless. Has anyone tried using ALL coconut oil instead of butter for baking cookies? If so, do you have any tips and/or tried & true recipes that turned out well? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 04:46 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
I never have but a friend used coconut oil in her brownie mix and it gave the brownies a nice flavor. Tasted like a mounds bar.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:52 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,929,392 times
As Julia Child used to say, you can NEVER have too much butter.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:10 PM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Coconut oil is hyped - a new trend, a panacea! It tastes great on certain roasted vegetables, like sweet potatoes, and tastes great in baked goods where a hint of coconut is complementary. It's not always welcome, however, because of high amount of saturated fat.
I saw some crazy combinations, like coconut-flavored mayonnaise, or peanut butter, or ketchup made with coconut oil.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Coconut oil is hyped - a new trend, a panacea! It tastes great on certain roasted vegetables, like sweet potatoes, and tastes great in baked goods where a hint of coconut is complementary. It's not always welcome, however, because of high amount of saturated fat.
I saw some crazy combinations, like coconut-flavored mayonnaise, or peanut butter, or ketchup made with coconut oil.

I hear you, elnina---and I don't disagree about the hype. It's just that I have a very large jar of organic coconut oil (given to me) that I divided into two halves. One half I'll use as a body moisturizer (it lasts forever), and the other half I'd like to use for baking/cooking. I've tried it for frying and I wasn't a fan of the flavor it added to the dish. But I can use it for baking--just seeing if y'all have any good ideas/recipes for cookes and such.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,029,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I hear you, elnina---and I don't disagree about the hype. It's just that I have a very large jar of organic coconut oil (given to me) that I divided into two halves. One half I'll use as a body moisturizer (it lasts forever), and the other half I'd like to use for baking/cooking. I've tried it for frying and I wasn't a fan of the flavor it added to the dish. But I can use it for baking--just seeing if y'all have any good ideas/recipes for cookes and such.
It's not baking, TT, but I'm not a baker. But do you like popcorn? The kind that you make on the stove-top, I mean, just kernels and oil? If so, try the coconut oil. I'm not a fan of coconut flavor, but I *love* making popcorn with it. It's much like when I use sesame oil to sautee shrimp (NOT for popcorn) in that when you taste it, you're like, "What's that I taste? So yummy! It's a hint of... what?"

Old 04-21-2017, 11:26 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,195 times
This is sort of a side-note, and I haven't ever used coconut oil in baking (though I cook with it, regularly), but I thought it was worth throwing out there that there is a huge flavor difference in refined vs. unrefined coconut oil.

Refined coconut oil has exactly zero percent coconut flavor or aroma. It still retains all of the health benefits of coconut oil in its original state (medium chain fatty acids like lauric acid), but it's a neutral oil with a higher smoke point than unrefined coconut oil.

Unrefined coconut oil is, well, coconutty. This is because it contains a few more coconut solids. It also has a lower smoke point (350 vs. 450 for unrefined).

I'm not sure that really helps for this thread, but to those who are looking for the health benefits (of which there definitely are! Hype or no hype! I'll refrain from going chemistry nerd on this one, but it's good stuff. ) without the coconut flavor, go for the refined stuff.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
I like the butter flavor in my baked goods. But if you have coconut tasting coconut oil, I suggest using it to cook Indian or Thai curries where the coconut flavor is a welcome addition

Old 04-22-2017, 10:49 AM

761 posts, read 604,562 times
Coconut oil does tend to burn more easily so turn down the flame a little more..

I has a mild coco-nutty flavor, so its great with coconut shrimp, and oh yes, coconut cake or any tropical flavored food ..especially banana bread, or anything with chocolate..but it does seem somewhat more oily in baked goods, so I usually take out a couple of tablespoons per cup from the recipe so it doesn't weigh it down. The level of moisture seems balanced out just fine.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
It's not baking, TT, but I'm not a baker. But do you like popcorn? The kind that you make on the stove-top, I mean, just kernels and oil? If so, try the coconut oil. I'm not a fan of coconut flavor, but I *love* making popcorn with it. It's much like when I use sesame oil to sautee shrimp (NOT for popcorn) in that when you taste it, you're like, "What's that I taste? So yummy! It's a hint of... what?"

Love this idea, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes