U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 01:01 AM

12,233 posts, read 12,495,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
lox (n.)

1934, American English, from Yiddish laks, from Middle High German lahs "salmon," from Proto-Germanic *lakhs-, from the common IE root for the fish, *laks- (source also of Lithuanian laszisza, Russian losos, Polish łosoś "salmon").

Lox is the word for a type of fish, salmon, and a descriptor of the cured foods made from it. There is no intrinsic implication that the curing is by smoke as many products called lox are brined, salt cured, sugar cured, or some combination. A combination of salt and sugar curing produces gravlaks (gravlox).

There is also no implicit oceanic origin of the fish specified by the word according to dictionaries and common usage.
I'm beginning to understand why east coast lox is flavorless crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 05:07 AM

71,945 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
MONTE CRISTO SANDWICH ..

and yes...as an east coast gal...the genuine philly cheese steak...grease and all!
Haven't had a Monte Cristo in maybe 20 years; always loved them, especially a particular place in S. California.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:12 AM

71,945 posts, read 83,597,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
lox (n.)

1934, American English, from Yiddish laks, from Middle High German lahs "salmon," from Proto-Germanic *lakhs-, from the common IE root for the fish, *laks- (source also of Lithuanian laszisza, Russian losos, Polish łosoś "salmon").

Lox is the word for a type of fish, salmon, and a descriptor of the cured foods made from it. There is no intrinsic implication that the curing is by smoke as many products called lox are brined, salt cured, sugar cured, or some combination. A combination of salt and sugar curing produces gravlaks (gravlox).

There is also no implicit oceanic origin of the fish specified by the word according to dictionaries and common usage.
Only place to get a really good bagel is So. California or one of the major cities with a decent Jewish deli. I don't think most people know the difference between good and not so good bagels. As for Lox, give them to me, whether east coast or Pacific. What is News Years morning without Lox and bagels?

Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM

12,233 posts, read 12,495,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Only place to get a really good bagel is So. California or one of the major cities with a decent Jewish deli. I don't think most people know the difference between good and not so good bagels. As for Lox, give them to me, whether east coast or Pacific. What is News Years morning without Lox and bagels?
Anybody can make bagels. The secret is to boil them in potato water. That's what puts the shiny skin on them.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:14 PM

4,740 posts, read 6,131,839 times
I love an open face roast beef and gravy sandwich with a side of mashed potatoes.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:58 AM

37,097 posts, read 45,613,761 times
Today, I'm planning to make some spicy Italian subs with a bunch of deli meat and cheese I bought yesterday. So today, that's my favorite.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 AM

1,522 posts, read 708,543 times
When the first fresh home grown tomatoes come in every summer.

I love a tomato sandwich on toast, salt pepper & mayo!

Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 PM

4,380 posts, read 2,515,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Lobster roll

I had a couple friends over to watch the Patriots game this afternoon. I bought a pound of fresh lobster meat at the local fish market this morning and a half dozen New England hot dog buns at the grocery store. Lightly chop the lobster meat, add a bit of Hellman's to moisten it, a squeeze of fresh lemon to adjust the acid balance, grill the hot dog buns in butter.

I usually winter at a ski resort. If St Patrick's Day is sunny spring skiing, I do slopeside Rubens with corn beef I made the night before. I bring sliced corned beef and swiss to temperature on the grill and toast the rye. Sauerkraut. Make up some thousand island from mayo/sweet relish/catsup.

That's kind of it. I pretty much never buy bread. I'll occasionally make a tuna salad sandwich with leftover hot dog buns from lobster rolls.

I like leftover Thanksgiving sandwich but that's all about homemade cranberry sauce and stuffing. I haven't had one in ages.
That looks really nice.

Old 12-06-2016, 01:44 PM

491 posts, read 244,381 times
A fried Venison and Onion Sandwich that I make.

Venison must be sliced very thin and seared lightly on both sides, and onions are cooked till limp. (I cook the venison meat and the onions in Buttered Flavored Crisco.) Then onions are left in pan, and the fried venison placed on top the onions. Cover pan with a lid, and simmer this on very low heat for 15 minutes. Serve between 2 hearty thick slices of bread, and enjoy!

Old 12-14-2016, 03:47 PM

3,569 posts, read 854,433 times
I had a Reuben on rye from Subway last week. It was VERY good!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes