Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2009, 09:47 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,249,782 times

Advertisements

I was given two filets.
Never cooked it before but I have cooked fish.
I would prefer a baking method if anyone has a recipe for that.
Or any snapper cooking tips.

I never ate it before as I am not a big fish type of person. What does it taste like? I have had : cod, whitefish, sea bass, bass, trout, salmon (don't like salmon at all unless its fresh as can be), tuna, shark (yuk), orange roughy, halibut
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 10:04 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,975,128 times
My favorite way of baking fish is to cover it with a "pico de gallo" for about 20 minutes

I make it with

Chopped cilantro, finely diced tomatoes, finely diced red onion, some diced jalapeno, a touch of garlic powder (not a lot...it will overpower the fish), some sea salt, some cayenne powder, olive oil, and lots of lemon juice. Mix it well and let it sit for a while for the flavors to blend.

When you are ready to cook, put the fish skin side down, in a baking dish, completely cover with the pico, bake for 15-20 minutes.

I would serve it with a raw spinach salad (my favorite is washed leaf spinach, sliced red onion rings, a few bacon crumbles, some sunflower seeds, and tarragon vinegar) and a steamed veggie like asparagus or sauteed to al dente fresh green beans. The ideal dessert would be a lemon sorbet.......

Old 09-21-2009, 10:12 AM

837 posts, read 1,709,404 times
Red Snapper Veracruz is a nice way to fix that particular fish. Like the recipe above it has tomatoes-- which will cut the fishiness some. If you google
"snapper veracruz recipe", you will find a number of variations.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,517,832 times
Take a 13X9 cake pan and line it with foil.

Wash the Snapper and pat dry with a paper towel.

Place Snapper in pan brush on melted butter and lightly
sprinkel the top with Old Bay Seasoning, put enough
water in the pan so it comes up to the bottom of the filet
or place it on a rack and add about an inch of water.

Place in a 500° oven on the center rack for about 8 to 10 min.
depending on how thick they are, they should be easly pulled
apart and flaky with a fork when done.

Keep an eye out for bones

Old 09-21-2009, 10:42 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,289,721 times

Snapper en Papillote

Cut a piece of parchment paper into a heart shape by
folding parchment in half and drawing a 1/2 heart, then cutting,
about 2 X as big as the fish.
Clean & dry 2 fillets
Julienne 2 small zucchinis
cut up 2-3 roma/plum tomatoes
dice 2 shallots
pinch or salt and pepper on each fillet & some for veggies
1 pat of room temp butter for each fillet & 1 for veggies
sprinkle of paprika for each fillet & veggies
1/4 cup white wine

On dry fillets rub butter, then sprinkle with s, p, & paprika.
Lay one fillet skin side down on parchment
Mix veggies, pat of butter & shallots together in a small bowl,
then sprinkle with salt, pepper & paprika.
Place veggies on top of fillet.
Add second fillet skin side facing up on top of veggies.
Pour wine over mix.
Seal paper by rolling the edges into a packet/envelop.
Place on baking dish and place in a 350º oven for 30 minutes.

(I also sometimes add chopped green olives, in which case I omit the salt to the veggies)

I serve with crispy, thin sliced fried potatoes, seasoned with salt, pepper, paprika, and chopped fresh parsley.

Lemon wedges for fish.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:47 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Broiled red snapper with sauted lump crab meat topping is one of my favorites. There are alot of snapper but red snapper is in a class of its own IMO.Red snapper has a tatse of iuts own like no other fish. If you are looking for a quick way to cook it;put in a 9X13 dish . Season with your favorite( I like Perdummes seafood magic) then cut orange slices and put over the fish. Cover with wax paper that will seal then cook about 11 minute in the micrwave. Not as good as broiling or grilling but still good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes