U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 04:40 PM

540 posts, read 1,203,557 times

Advertisements

This has become my sons’ latest obsession.

1-2 onions chopped
3-6 jalapeños chopped
3 mashed cloves of garlic or 2 tsp garlic powder
2 /28 oz cans of tomatoes (if whole, chop up)
1 tsp cumin/1 tsp cayenne/2 tsp kosher salt/ several grinds black pepper

5 or more skinless chicken breasts. I use split breasts but use whatever floats your boat

Throw it all in a crock pot and cook on high for 5-6 hours or until chicken starts to fall apart when picked up

I usually sauté the onions on top of the stove first, because I like them caramelized, but it is not necessary

Remove chicken and let cool to handle. Shred or slice up chicken. I put it in a 2 quart Glad storage container.(I love those things) Through a strainer, pour about 3 cups of the tomato liquid over chicken and cover. The chicken will soak up most of the juice. Pour the remaining liquid, chunks included, in another container. This is a nice spicy salsa type sauce.

My guys like the chicken wrapped in tortillas, but it can also be used in tacos and makes great chicken enchiladas. I bet it would be good over mashed potatoes too.

I like 1/2 cup of the chicken over cooked shredded *cabbage with a big scoop of the sauce. It’s a very satisfying, diet friendly meal. Nice with a few tortilla chips crumbled on top. If I have no cabbage, I add water to a bowl with the chicken and sauce, for soup.

This makes a lot of meals and feeds us for a few days. As soon as it’s gone, they start asking when will I make more. I love this type of cuisine. I cook once, and the rest is do it yourself.

*For cabbage, I saute a chopped onion in a pot, add a shredded, rinsed cabbage with a little *kosher salt and celery salt until really cooked down. Once again, I store it in one of those rectangular Glad 2 quart containers. I always have at least 3 of those things with meals ready to go. They are great for leftover spaghetti and meatballs too.

I started using kosher salt 10 years ago. I like the flavor much better than regular salt and find I only need a pinch to get the desired flavor. I think Alton Brown explained it once, but I wasn't paying attention.

Last edited by baseballgal; 07-11-2009 at 04:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 06:40 PM

7,780 posts, read 13,499,576 times
Default Slow Cooker Lasagna Recipe

I haven't posted a lot to the Food forum, so forgive me if there's a thread running somewhere with this info.

I was hoping someone out there might have a recipe for homemade lasagna that I might be able to fix for my family.

I've been doing more of the cooking lately and would like to add something other than frozen lasagna to the menu.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:48 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,481,395 times
I hope someone has this because I love lasagna but do not want to heat up the house with the oven....

Did I mention that I love lasagna?? With spinach?

Old 09-20-2009, 03:49 AM

114,169 posts, read 54,166,826 times
Think long cooking would have your noodles turn to total mush.. Don't think it's a good candidate for the crock pot!

Old 09-20-2009, 07:23 AM

507 posts, read 2,022,015 times
Found this for you on RecipeZaar.
Got rave reviews!
Easy and good!! SERVES 4 -6

Crockpot Lasagna

Ingredients
1 lb lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
12 ounces cottage cheese (we like 2%)
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese or asiago cheese
12 ounces lasagna noodles, uncooked
16 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
1-Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in frypan.
2-Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, salt and oregano.
3-Cook long enough to get it warm.
4-Spoon a layer of meat sauce onto the bottom of the slow cooker.
5-Add a double layer of uncooked lasagna noodles (break to fit) and top with cheeses.
6-Repeat with sauce, noodles and cheeses until all are used up.
7-Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.

* May also add frozen boxed spinach. Just defrost by running cold water over it in a colander, drain and squeeze out the water, then add to one of the layers.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:37 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,499,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Think long cooking would have your noodles turn to total mush.. Don't think it's a good candidate for the crock pot!
Yeah, I thought about that too and I know that 'real' lasagna can't be cooked in a crock pot. But even something homemade in a crock pot ought to be tastier than the frozen ones I've been fixing.

Thanks to tnhoneypot, I may try that one as early as this week!

Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 AM

507 posts, read 2,022,015 times
You are so welcome! Hope its delicious!
I really don't think the noodles will be mushy at all, especially starting out with uncooked pasta, and then cooking on low in the crockpot. It will probably turn out just right. If you like, you can always bypass the sauce mixture, and buy a good jarred spaghetti sauce, to save time.

Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
I use the recipe that I found (a very long time ago) on the Frozen Assets recipes email group. It's for OAMC (Once a Month Cooking), so it's for 6 meals. I freeze mine in tupperware, not an ice cream bucket.

Linda Stolz's Ice Cream Bucket Lasagna
Recipe By: Linda Stolz
Serving Size: 48
5 pounds ground beef, lean
20 ounces - tomato sauce
Desired spices
2 quarts cottage cheese (sometimes I use ricotta)
4 eggs
Salt and pepper
2 lbs - mozzarella (or more, depending on your family's taste) -- shredded
2 packages lasagna noodles
6 ice cream buckets -- 1 gallon size

(Linda uses the ice cream bucket because it makes it the exact correct size and shape for her 5-quart crockpot. You may find another container that works better for you. Just choose a container to assemble/freeze the food in that is a little smaller than the pot/pan you plan to cook it in)

Cook a large package of hamburger (approx 5 lbs), drain. Place it back in the pan (don't dirty another pan) and add tomato sauce and spices as you like it. Then in another large bowl, mix two large containers of cottage cheese, four eggs, and salt and pepper. A third bowl has a large quantity of shredded mozzarella.

Finally, open two packages of lasagna noodles, either no-bake or regular, doesn't matter. Linda prefers the regular, they are thicker ... the no bake kind of disappear because they are so thin.

Place all the ingredient bowls and pans in a row on the counter. Then take 6 (one-gallon) ice cream buckets or similar container.

Layer as follows:

Small amount of sauce (makes serving easier if there is a bit of sauce in the bottom, so it doesn't stick),
uncooked noodles,
sauce (it is important that all of the uncooked noodles are covered in sauce),
cottage cheese,
uncooked noodles,
sauce,
cottage cheese,
noodles,
sauce,
mozzarella cheese to cover top

You end up with six lasagnas, and only 3 dirty pans. Freeze. Once solid, slip from the ice cream bucket, and place in gallon Ziploc bags. Now they go back in the freezer, taking up much less space.

When its lasagna eating day, just pop it in the crockpot (or other pan, if not using crock pot) on LOW, and let her go all day ... come home, dinner is ready!

NOTE: this is the original version of this recipe. Newer crock pots are much hotter, so you might find it necessary to cut the cooking time down considerably.

Copyright: "Linda Stolz"
Yield: "6 meals, 8 servings each"

Old 09-20-2009, 12:06 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,100,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
I hope someone has this because I love lasagna but do not want to heat up the house with the oven....

Did I mention that I love lasagna?? With spinach?

I found this recipe online for you

SLOW COOKER SPINACH LASAGNA

2 containers (15 oz. each) ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (about 8 oz.)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs
1 (10 oz.) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Vegetable Soup Mix
2 jars (1 lb. 10 oz. each) Ragu Old World Style Traditional Pasta Sauce
12 lasagna noodles, uncooked

In medium bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup parmesan, eggs, spinach and Lipton Recipe Secrets Vegetable Soup Mix.

In 6-quart slow cooker, spread 1 cup Pasta Sauce. Layer 4 lasagna noodles, broken to fit, then 1 cup Pasta Sauce and 1/2 of the ricotta mixture; repeat. Top with remaining 4 lasagna noodles and 2 cups Pasta Sauce. Reserve remaining Pasta Sauce.

Cook covered on LOW 5 to 6 hours.

Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Cover and cook an additional 10 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Serve with remaining Pasta Sauce, heated.

Servings: 8

Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 PM

18,433 posts, read 29,481,395 times
Thank you!

You know what? I really like the idea of freezing those lasagnas like that.

Whenever I used to make it, very few and far between because it seemed like it was so expensive to make. Seems like you could buy the stuff in bulk and get it all done with one afternoon and have stuff ready to roll.

I really like that idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or