U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 07:52 AM

59 posts, read 126,372 times

Advertisements

Try using the precooked lasagna. I find that as long as it is well covered it doesn't go mushy.

Last edited by kitty50; 10-01-2009 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: add extra info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 08:04 AM

59 posts, read 126,372 times
Try seven layer dinner.
onion, meat balls, potatoes, rice, carrots, peas, tomato soup. Use amounts you prefer. Other meats or vegetables may also be used.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:26 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,186,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty50 View Post
Try seven layer dinner.
onion, meat balls, potatoes, rice, carrots, peas, tomato soup. Use amounts you prefer. Other meats or vegetables may also be used.
I'm sorry, but that's not low carb at all

Rockky - give me some ideas of what you prefer, and I'll post or send you a bunch. What kind of meats? What kind of veggies? Cauliflower is considered LC, but I HATE it and won't eat it How many carbs a day are you staying under? My recipe program gives the carbs per serving.

Low carb has been my WoL for over 6 years.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:38 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,460,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm sorry, but that's not low carb at all

Rockky - give me some ideas of what you prefer, and I'll post or send you a bunch. What kind of meats? What kind of veggies? Cauliflower is considered LC, but I HATE it and won't eat it How many carbs a day are you staying under? My recipe program gives the carbs per serving.

Low carb has been my WoL for over 6 years.
Gandalara - I lost quite a bit of weight a few years ago with low carb habits. If you notice, I posted that question over a year ago. Now, with the weight back, and a thyroid problem that can't seem to be understood, I'm happy to see this post of mine find its way into the light again.

I need to stay verrrry low carb. For over two years the only carbs I ate were from some blueberries/strawberries/cantaloupe. Not a single bite of starch of any kind, so my daily carb intake was very low.

All veggies are OK. I like all the cruciferous vegetables, so cauliflower is fine with me.

I should stay with low fat meats to get back on the wagon, but I have no problem with the higher fat stuff later on. I don't eat veal though.

I discovered ground flax seed a few years ago. I think it has to be one of the most healthy foods on earth!

I need to get away from bad habits. I wish whatever my metabolism is doing would be diagnosed, but it's been wacky all my life.

I just didn't eat any carbs, so I didn't count them. Do you think it's helpful to do the counting? I was sorta compulsive about it.

I'd be grateful for any and all recipes you have tried! Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 10-01-2009, 08:35 PM

LOL - didn't even notice the date!

For the first 6 months, I kept my carbs under 20 a day. And I ate every 2 hours, even if it was a hard-boiled egg. Then I went up to 30 for the next 6 months. My limit now is 50 (but I'm usually lower than that). If I eat more, I don't feel well. I am the Salad Queen at work I eat LOTS of vegetables and salad. I still drink at least 64 ounces of water a day. I never did give up my coffee. LOVE caffeine. Oh - and I'm not on cholesterol medicine anymore, my readings went down to normal, even with the eggs and butter

OK - first off - since you like fruit - (actual carbs, and net carbs after fiber is subtracted)

Fruits under 10 net grams:
1/2 cup raspberries--7.2 actual, 3.0 net
1 fresh apricot --3.9 actual, 3.1 net
1/2 cup strawberries--5.4 actual, 3.6 net
1/2 cup cranberries, raw--6.0 actual, 4.0 net
1 avocado--14.9 actual, 4.8 net
1/2 cup watermelon--5.6 actual, 5.2 net
1/2 cup blackberries--9.2 actual, 5.4 net
1/2 cup papaya--6.8 actual, 5.6 net
1/2 cup cantaloupe--6.6 actual, 6.0 net
1 tangerine--7.8 actual, 6.2 net
1/2 cup honeydew melon--7.8 actual, 7.2 net
1 plum--8.6 actual, 7.6 net
1 fresh fig --9.6 actual, 7.9 net
1/2 cup blueberries--10.2 actual, 8.2 net
1/2 cup cherries--9.6 actual, 8.4 net
1/2 cup pineapple--9.6 actual, 8.6 net
1 kiwi fruit--11.3 actual, 8.7 net
1 medium peach--10.9 actual, 8.9 net
1 cup tomato juice--10.2 actual, 9.4 net

Another thing - you say "I should stay with low fat meats to get back on the wagon". Why? You're supposed to eat fat when you low carb! It's what makes you feel full!

Oh - and remember all crockpots heat differently - some are hotter than others. You may have to cook more or less.

**Crockpot Turkey and Broccoli Casserole
4 net carbs
Serving Size : 8
8 ounces mushrooms
10 3/4 ounces Cream of mushroom soup, condensed Campbells
1/3 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons cream
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 cups turkey breast, boneless and skinless -- chunked
16 ounces frozen broccoli -- chunked
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
toasted almonds -- 1/4 cup, optional
Nuts not in nutritional values - try it first without!
Spray inside of crockpot with cooking spray or lightly grease with butter. Combine mushrooms, soup, mayonnaise, milk, mustard,and pepper in crockpot. Stir in diced turkey and broccoli. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 5 (or so) hours. Stir in cheese; cover and cook 30 minutes longer.Sprinkle with toasted almonds, if desired, just before serving.
Per Serving : 322 Calories; 17g Fat; 35g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 98mg Cholesterol; 510mg Sodium.

**A REAL easy way to do turkey is - get a frozen turkey breast that fits in your crockpot. Sprinkle liberally with seasoned salt and season pepper. Put it on low and let it cook. That's it. Serve with a salad and vegetable, real easy dinner. Leftovers work real good on next day's lunch salad.

** Crockpot Kitchen Sink
3 net carbs
Serving Size : 10
1 chicken breast -- chopped
1 lb smoked sausage -- sliced
14 1/2 ounces Eden Organic Black Soy Beans
14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes
1/2 pound sliced mushrooms -- or more
1/8 c chopped green onions
2 cups chicken broth
1 dash salt -- pepper
1 dash pepper
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce -- or similar hot sauce
Cook on low all day
Zucchini might be good in this too.
Don't substitute Black Soy Beans with regular Black Beans! Original recipe had 1.5 cups frozen corn.
Per Serving : 263 Calories; 17g Fat; 17g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 51mg Cholesterol; 643mg Sodium.

**Super Simple Pork Crockpot
5 net carbs
Serving Size : 10
5 pounds boneless pork leg or roast, or your favorite cut as long as it fits in the pot
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup apple juice
1/4 cup soy sauce
Mix ingredients and pour over pork. Place in crockpot and cook on Low 4 to 6 hours.
Per Serving : 531 Calories; 34g Fat; 49g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 129mg Cholesterol; 578mg Sodium.

**Marmalade Chicken Curried in Crockpot
9 net carbs
Serving Size :
4 chicken breast, no skin, no bone, (4 to 6)
3/4 cup sugar-free orange marmalade - Smuckers
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours. Serve chicken breasts with juices over hot cooked rice. If desired, thicken juices with a tablespoon of cornstarch mixed with a small
amount of water.
Per Serving : 204 Calories; 4g Fat; 35g Protein; 9g Carbohydrate; trace Dietary Fiber; 96mg Cholesterol; 84mg Sodium.

** Steak Diane Crockpot
1 to 2 net carbs
4 beef tenderloin -- cut into 1/4 inch slices
2 Tbs butter
1 cup mushrooms -- sliced
1 tsp fresh chives -- chopped
1 tsp fresh parsley -- minced
1/2 cup beef broth
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp brandy
Sear the steaks in butter for 1 minute. Place the steaks in the crockpot. Add the other ingredients except the brandy. Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or High for 4 to 5 hours. During the last 30 minutes of cooking, add the brandy.
Whole recipe: 2842 Calories; 232g Fat (75.0% calories from fat); 168g Protein; 5g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 706mg Cholesterol; 3445mg Sodium.

Want more?
Maybe I should just send you some good recipe websites to look at?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:36 PM

See? I forgot something!

Have you tried flax pancakes? Or zucchini pancakes?

Old 10-01-2009, 10:07 PM

7,342 posts, read 7,116,144 times
You might like my stuffed peppers

Jill's Crock Pot Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients

2 lbs lean ground beef
1/3 cup uncooked jasmine rice (you can use a long-cooking rice, but if you do, Id recommend pre-cooking it before mixing it with the beef or it may not cook all the way soft in this recipe)
Salt, pepper, finely chopped fresh herbs, such as basil, parsley & chives
1 29 oz can tomato sauce
1 6 oz can tomato paste
15-20 oz tomato juice
1 or 2 packets Sweet-n-Low (to taste)
2 to 3 sweet peppers (green, yellow or red any combination)

Directions

In the crock pot, mix the tomato sauce, juice and paste, smoothing the past to mix it well. Season with the artificial sweetener.

Cut the tops off the peppers and clean the inside of seeds. Set aside.
Remove and discard the stems from the pepper tops, then chop the remaining portion of the pepper tops into pieces to add to the sauce.

Mix the ground beef with the rice, herbs and seasonings.
Gently stuff the peppers with the meat and rice mixture (dont pack them too firmly)
Make meatballs out of the remaining beef mixture

Place the stuffed peppers in the bottom of the crockpot, then add the meatballs.

Cover, set on low and simmer for 5 6 hours.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
See? I forgot something!

Have you tried flax pancakes? Or zucchini pancakes?
Wow, Gandalara! Thank you very much! I'm printing the recipes, and will revin' up the crock pot.

When I did this before, I stayed on mostly veggies and chicken to start. Just to kick start ketosis.

As the weight began to creep back, I went to zero carbs again. No weight loss.

I'm sure I was well below the 30 grams per day when I was diligent with it. I never got out of the trace ketones level. I drank 64+ ounces of water a day.

At this point I just want to feel better, and this food intake plan had my body feeling well. It took me two years to lose 30 pounds, and that was with major exercise....but I felt better.

Not feeling well, down in the dumps.....I need to do something over which I have some control.

Whoops....almost forgot......never had the zucchini pancakes. I've made flax seed pancakes, and really like them. I'm not sure where I put my recipe for flax seed muffins. Gotta look for that.

Thanks again for your help!

Old 10-02-2009, 06:21 AM

kitty, Thanks for finding and responding to my post.

Jill, Thanks for the recipe. Sounds good! Do you know the carb count?

Old 10-02-2009, 06:38 AM

32,308 posts, read 59,585,988 times
I like to take chicken breasts, a chopped onion, and lots of minced garlic and cook them in about two inches of white wine. For the last 10-15 minutes or so of cooking, switch to high and toss in some broccoli; let it steam until it's done as you like (I like it still a little crunchy). The broccoli absorbs the wine and garlic as it cooks.

Do the same thing with lean pork chops, only use beer instead of wine.

Cook chicken breasts in spaghetti sauce in the crock pot, then serve them and the sauce with steamed spaghetti squash and a little parmesan cheese, and a salad.

A lot of crockpot recipes seem to use veggies like carrots and potatoes -- pretty high-carb stuff, but they hold up better to the long cooking times. Sometimes I'll leave them out altogether; other times I'll give all the potatoes to the spouse and I'll take the carrots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or