U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 10:20 PM

1,055 posts, read 3,601,074 times

Advertisements

Yeah pulled whatever (pork, chicken, beef, etc) is awesome and the crock pot is wonderful for making it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 10:35 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,026,833 times
My fave is a combo of Izzybellas and JustJulia.
Take 4-6 frozen boneless chicken breasts. Toss in crock pot with
your favorite jar salsa and some sour cream. Also you can toss in an
adobo packet to taste. Put on low and let her cook all day.
I've had the chicken as full breasts or have shredded them as it
cuts aparts sooo nice.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,818,332 times
My own bolognese Sauce.

1 &1/2 pound bulk hot Italian Sausage (links will work, but the bulk breaks up better)
1 Whole Red, Yellow, Orange or Green Pepper, chopped into ½ inch pieces
1 Whole Sweet Onion, chopped as above
1 pound Crimini Mushrooms sliced to ¼ thickness
1 8 oz can tomato paste
1 Large Can Chopped Tomatoes
1 Jar Prego Traditional (Can sub other)
1 Small Can Pre Sliced Black Olives (optional)
One Fistful Green Olives sliced (Optional)
5 Cloves Garlic, Peeled and Minced or chopped
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin OO
1 Tablespoon Red Pepper flakes or Sambal (To taste)
¼ Cup Good Quality Red Wine

In a large frying pan at medium high heat, add the oil and then the onions and peppers. As soon as they start turning translucent, drop them into Crock Pot. Add the garlic to the pan and let it flower for about one minute, two at the max. Don’t burn it. Into the crock it goes.

Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, Prego, pepper flakes, and olives to the crock pot. Set aside the mushrooms to be added two hours before serving (Otherwise they shrink up too much) If you prefer you can caramelize them and add them just before serving.

Add the Sausage to the frying pan. Brown it and while cooking chop into quarter pieces. Over the course of several hours in the pot, it will break up further. Add it to the Crock Pot.

Deglaze the pan with the red wine and add to the pot.

Stir now and then and enjoy the smell. This can cook for 8 or ten hours. It just gets better and better. You may need to add water if it gets too thick. Not to worry, there is tons of flavor. I only add salt as needed. Bear in mind, the sauce, paste, olives and sausage all have salt in them, so be careful.

I use a Fusilli or Rotini with this. (Cork Screw) as they soak up the sauce well.

Typical dry pasta will take 8 to 10 minutes. Salt the water generously and test it after 8 minutes. I like mine with just a tiny bite left still in it.

Prep Time 20 minutes. Easy.

Don't forget to drink the rest of the wine with this. And not to worry, this sauce freezes quite well.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:17 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,236,672 times
Teriyaki Chicken
1 cup V-8 juice
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Roasting chicken
Mix sauce ingredients together. Put the chicken in the crock pot, cavity upwards, and pour the teriyaki sauce into and around the bird. Crock on low until done ... about 8 hours. Cook up a bag of frozen oriental vegetables and some rice to serve with it.
Note: Can also use chicken parts, or boneless breasts, or boneless thighs -- just don't cook as long. I still want to try this with pork.

Triple Chocolate Mess
1 package chocolate cake mix, dry
1 pint sour cream
1 package instant chocolate pudding, dry **see note
1 small bag of chocolate chips, about 6 ounces
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 cup water
Spray crock pot with non-stick spray.
Mix all ingredients - mix them well! Pour into crock pot.
Cook on low for 5-1/2 hours. Any longer and it seems to burn around the edges. I have an older pot so it doesn't run hot. Use a paper towel under the lid. It soaks up some of the steam and keeps it from running back into the mess. I usually replace it after about 4 hours.
Spoon into bowls, goes well with ice cream.
Note: If you like it more on the pudding-y side use the larger size box of pudding. If you like it more on the cake-y side use the smaller box.
Other notes: Low-fat ingredients work well. I can't tell the difference (and I usually hate low-fat stuff). Some also use applesauce instead of the oil, but when I tried it, it didn't come out nearly so well, so I can't recommend it.

Old 12-20-2009, 02:15 PM

9,718 posts, read 5,767,286 times
My easiest crockpot recipe yet......

Any size rump roast (or whatever you like)
1 bottle of Sweet Baby Ray BBQ sauce or your favorite.

Cook on low 8-10 hrs. (depending on the size of roast) then pull apart for sandwiches

Old 12-20-2009, 03:26 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,730,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnhoneypot View Post
...and if you are a chocoholic like I am...then you'll think you're in heaven when you taste this delectable dessert!

Crockpot Brownie Pudding

1 pkg. chocolate cake mix
1 pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix {4 serving size}
1 pint sour cream
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 cup water
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted

Spray crockpot with Pam. Mix all ingredients with a spoon until creamy and pour into crockpot. Cook on low setting for 5 hours. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

*I used chopped walnuts in mine*
OH NO! I knew there was a reason I should NOT have looked at this thread! I thought everybody was going to talk about chili and roasts....
Why did I have to read this during the month of December? eek!

Old 12-20-2009, 03:33 PM

I know what you mean Wurzig... I've never tried desserts in the crock but some of these recipes are making me second think that.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:46 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,236,672 times
Huh.
I just noticed I posted the same recipe as Tnhoneypot.

Sorry 'bout that :-)

Old 12-20-2009, 03:58 PM

33,897 posts, read 42,143,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
1 can of condensed golden mushroom soup
+
1 chuck roast

= all you need. except maybe some veggies.
To the above add a packet of Beefy Onion dry soup mix and put a bag of baby carrots on the bottom. Make gravy with the liquid. I use cornstarch for gravy instead of flour. No lumps. You can also add cut up potatoes.

Make meatballs (hamburger (for meatballs I use 90% lean), an egg as binder and some Italian Bread Crumbs. Some people will add Parmesean cheese but I have a dairy allergic kid) and let sit overnight in the crock with your red sauce of choice. I like Newmans Tomato and Basil, although I'll add fresh basil to it in the summer.

Boneless chicken breasts with Cream of Mushroom soup.

Navy bean soup with ham bone from a honey ham. Soak beans overnight and then boil before adding to the crock, use a bit of that liquid or you'll have a "dry" soup, which I happen like but many don't.

Pork Roast and homemade sauerkraut. Add dumpling mix (see Bisquik or Jiffy box) the last hour of cooking.

Whole Turkey Breast.

Old 12-21-2009, 10:56 AM

OK today is quickie Monday... a handful of frozen chicken strips, a bag of frozen veggies, a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and enough water to cover most of it. Once it all thaws I'll mix it up good and throw in some seasonings. Nothing fresh in the house (grocery day is rapidly approaching) but even so it will be a good meal I think.

So much easier than thawing everything out, cooking it all up in different pans, bowls, etc then mixing everything together, simmering, etc. Just throw it all together and pretty much forget about it until tonight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or