U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 08:25 PM

947 posts, read 2,115,729 times

Advertisements

I make Mexican pot roast taco meat in the crockpot. You season with salt and pepper, brown in oil, then put in crock pot with a mess of garlic, onion, jalapenos. Throw in a can or two of rotel and a packet of taco seasoning. Let cook until you can shred it. Skim the fat off. Serve on tortillas with shredded cabbage tossed with oil, cumin, chili powder, salt and a bit of vinegar. Add guacamole, sour cream, salsa. MMMMmmm. so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 11:27 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,601,074 times
Another easy one is...

1 packet of Fajita seasoning
Peppers (I use red, green, yellow and orange)
Onion (I prefer a sweet onion like a Vidalia)
a clove of fresh garlic (crushed)
1.5# stew meat (cubed)

This is for a small crock pot but you can go large by doubling most of it. First I throw the meat into the crock and fill it with cold water to rinse the meat. Drain the water then add the seasoning and crushed garlic... mix well. I do this now only because it is full to the brim when I finish so mixing isn't an option later. Chop up a quarter of each of the peppers and a quarter of the onion... I do big chunks. Add them on top of the meat, cover and set on low.

Come back in about two hours and everything will have settled some and there should be some liquid forming. Give it a good mix then let it sit another 2-4 hours. Serve over rice or noodles.

The veggies come out soft but that is what I want. If you want firmer veggies cut them up but don't add them until a couple hours in.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:29 AM

49 posts, read 61,527 times
Default Easy Slow Cooker Chicken

An easy way to cook a whole chicken in your crockpot with delicious results.
Ingredients

1/4 cup white wine
3 lb whole chicken, raw
2 tbsp butter , sliced into pats
5 medium garlic cloves , peeled and crushed
4 large shallots , chopped (or 1 medium onion)
6 tsp fresh thyme , chopped (about 6 sprigs)
1 tsp black pepper
1 pinch kosher salt
Directions

1 Place chopped shallot in slow cooker. Rinse and pat dry chicken, discarding the organs.
2 Make 4 or 5 slits in the skin of the chicken and stuff butter and garlic cloves into slits.
3 Place chicken in slow cooker. Pour wine over the chicken. Sprinkle thyme, salt, and pepper over top.
4 Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Additional Information
Note: The nutritional information for this recipe is inaccurate because it includes all the skin, fat, and liquid left in the crockpot that is not consumed.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM

193 posts, read 82,516 times
Talking Crock pot recipes...

Hi Everyone
Hopefully its not a repeat thread...I am new to using a crockpot which I love!!! Hope others would share some recipes...the pot roast has been a hit...would love to find more / different chicken recipes also.
Anyone care to share...

Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,254,536 times
Crockpot Scalloped Potatoes

6-8 thinly sliced potatoes
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 cup Velveeta cheese
1 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 can (12 oz.)evaporated milk
salt and pepper

Spray crockpot with cooking spray. Fill crockpot half full of the
sliced potatoes. Layer 1/2 can of soup, 1/2 cup Velveeta cheese,
cut into chunks, 3/4 cup grated sharp cheese, and 1/2 can of milk.
Add salt and pepper to taste. Layer remaining ingredients in same
order. Cook on high about 6 hours. You need to check for you may
need to add more milk. You can preboil the potatoes for quicker
cooking.

Crockpot Oatmeal

Ingredients:
•1 cup steel cut oats
•1 cup dried cranberries
•1 cup dates, chopped
•4 cups water
•1/2 cup half and half
•2 tablespoons honey

Preparation:
Spray inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Combine all ingredients
except half and half and honey in the slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
Stir in half and half and honey, and serve.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,299,590 times
I always have to weigh in here although I know I'll get flamed again.

A crock pot is a great way to make stuff if you can't be around to watch it. Or, if it gonna take 6 hours or more anyway.

Bean soup, split pea soup are good examples of something that should be cooked in a crock pot.

Chicken is not something that should be cooked in a crock pot unless you are making cat food for your very privileged cat. Chicken is best cooked for about an hour and a half in the oven.

But, if you are leaving for work and you want to have a nice meal ready when you get home, and you must have chicken, go for it. But, it comes at a price. It will be nothing like what you can make in the oven.

Same for pork shoulder. Same for green beans and ham.

You can cook these things int the crock pot. But they will be far inferior when compared with the versions that are made in the oven.

Just sayin'

PS, I have a crock pot. Love it for bean and dry pea soup and for heating up a mess of mashed potatoes for Thanksgiving.

PPS: If you are going for ease, try a whole cut up fryer and a bottle of barbeque sauce (I like KC Masterpeice) dumped on top. No spices no other ingredients. Cook all day on low or half day on high.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,133,305 times
We like to use the slow-cooker for turkey thighs. For just the two of us, a pair of turkey thighs is more than enough meat, and the slow-cooker ensures that they come out tender and moist. It has the added benefit of creating the most awesome turkey stock to freeze up for later use in gravies, soups, etc.; I find that the stock that results from cooking meat with skin and bone included is far richer and has a better and more complex flavor than the broth you get from cooking skinless, boneless meats.

For a pair of turkey thighs, add a quartered onion, a stalk of celery cut into three or four pieces, a couple of whole cloves of garlic and a teaspoon or two of dried sage. Add a couple-three cups of water, cover, and crock on low for 7 or 8 hours.

After removing the meat, strain the resulting dark, rich stock into a bowl and refrigerate until the fat congeals on the top of the stock. Peel the fat off and discard, then pack up the stock in pint-size freezer bags or containers, and freeze. The next time you want to make gravy, get out one of those frozen pints of stock to use as the base, and your family will be licking the bowl and begging for more.

We also recently found a crock-pot chicken cacciatore recipe that we really liked a lot. It takes a little more futzing to prep, but I think it's worthwhile.

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in bite-size pieces
1 cup (or more) sliced mushrooms (we like cremini, they hold up better to long cooking)
1 cup (or more) sliced bell peppers
1 cup (or more) sliced onions
At least 1 clove of minced garlic (we used three cloves and thought that was just right)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 can of crushed tomatoes
A good splash of dry red wine
Dried oregano - a teaspoon or two
Dried basil - a teaspoon or two
Salt and pepper

Dump all of that in your crock-pot, stir up, cover, and cook 5 or 6 hours on high, or 6 to 8 hours on low. Serve over short pasta (rotini, gemelli, farfalle, etc.). Amazingly good stuff, cheap, filling and easy - my kinda dish for sure!

Old 03-26-2011, 01:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,396,268 times
I make Pot Roast and Beef Stew in the crock pot regularly. I have also made a chicken oven roaster in the crock pot, and it works out well. I put the whole roaster in the crock pot, add some chicken broth and some seasonings, cook on low for 8 hours. Comes out moist and delicious.

I also make Pasta E Fagioli in the crock pot - this is my recipe
Pasta E Fagioli Recipe - Allrecipes.com

AND

This is a recipe I'll be making in the next day or two - but I haven't tried it yet.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Oh yeah! I made Corned Beef and Cabbage in the crock pot this year for St. Patty's day ...was awesome!

You can find a bunch of recipes here http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Main-D...oker/Main.aspx

Old 03-26-2011, 01:05 PM

5,417 posts, read 5,402,526 times
I always make both my Chili and Rump Pot roast in the crockpot. After the rump is done, I put it in the fridge overnight to cool, it is much easier to cut the next day and the gravy is to die for.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:04 PM

511 posts, read 791,857 times
I have a really Yummy Party snack recipe

Sweet and Sour Meatballs (You can also use Keilbasa in place of the Meatballs)
1 jar of grape jelly
1 jar of chili sauce
1 bag of frozen meatballs

Put all ingredients in the crock pot and stir through. Cook on low for 4 hours, stir once every hour. I make these at all our gatherings and they are a very big hit. Enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or