U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 05:18 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,107,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
. . . . and then dumped a big can of beef or chicken broth on it for the last couple hours. . .
If you can possibly manage it, use home-made beef stock instead of canned broth. The difference in flavor is just astounding.

We roast beef soup bones in the oven until they're cooked into richness, then dump them into a stock pot for a long slow simmer. A crock pot works fine, but as with anything else you put into a crock pot, it's important to remember that none of the liquid will cook off, as it would on the stove. That's why you use less liquid to start with.

Once you get your stock simmered into deep brown goodness, take it off the fire and let it cool until you can handle it without getting burned. Strain it into a bowl (line the strainer with muslin if you want it really clear of all particles) and refrigerate, then peel the congealed tallow off the top. THEN you start building the onion soup.

I know, it takes a significant investment of time. But if you love onion soup, why not make it the very best it can be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:27 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,184,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Here's a question. What do you think would happen if you put 4 big onions all cut up in the crock pot with a 1/4 cup of EVOO, maybe a little sugar, and a bunch of garlic cloves and cooked it all day and then dumped a big can of beef or chicken broth on it for the last couple hours. Onion soup?

I mean does anyone know if the onions would caramelize in the bottom of a crock pot with just EVOO and a little sugar?

I love onion soup but can't stand spending an hour with the onions.
Caramelized onions in a crockpot:

Slice many many many onions. Fill crock pot to the top. Press down and add some more. Put 1/4 to 1/2 pound of butter on top of the onions. Force the lid on tight. If it goes down easy, you don't have enough onions in there Cook on low for 12 to 24 hours. Don't open the lid to stir. Just leave it. Go to work, go to bed, whatever.

After they get brown enough for you (I had one batch that I cooked for over 24 hours), freeze in several baggies in serving size. For onion soup - add 2 cups beef broth to one baggie of onions. Nuke in the microwave. Sprinkle with cheese. Enjoy. Other uses - any time you need cooked onions for a dish ... just open your freezer

Old 03-26-2011, 05:48 PM

511 posts, read 790,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Those are always a hit here, too. Some variations that I like include using a can of jellied cranberry sauce instead of the grape jelly (adds a bit more zip, I think, and isn't quite so sweet), and adding those little smoky-link sausages to go along with the meatballs.
I like the Cranberry sauce idea in place of the jelly, I will have to try it.

Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,107,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
Crockpot Oatmeal

Ingredients:
•1 cup steel cut oats
•1 cup dried cranberries
•1 cup dates, chopped
•4 cups water
•1/2 cup half and half
•2 tablespoons honey

Preparation:
Spray inside of slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Combine all ingredients
except half and half and honey in the slow cooker, cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
Stir in half and half and honey, and serve.
We tried this one for breakfast today (left the slow-cooker going overnight), and it was mighty tasty indeed. But I can't imagine adding the honey - MAN, that stuff comes out sweet from the dates! Really good texture, though, and very solid. We've got enough left over (just two of us at home) that it'll do for at least one more breakfast, too.

Have you tried that with any other dried fruit? I was thinking that raisins and dried apples with cinnamon would make a really good combination, or possibly raisins and dried apricots with a bit of nutmeg. And a handful of toasted walnuts sprinkled over the bowl would add a wonderful crunch.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:25 AM

4,196 posts, read 5,228,555 times
Heres something I have made here a few times, as far as I know it does not have a name or printed recipe.
It was just kind of something I threw together once but simmered it on the stove.
I found it's great in a crockpot.

Brown a few bone in pork chops, as many as you need.
Chop an onion and a green pepper, I do big slices.
3 cans of tomato soup 1 can H20.
Season as you wish, garlic, herbs..it's up to you.

Cook on high, or low depending on how long you will be away from the house.
You know when it's done because the pork is falling off the bone.
Also works with country style pork ribs...

Old 03-29-2011, 11:01 AM

14,523 posts, read 7,563,733 times
^^ That recipe is almost exactly the one found in the original Campbell's Soup Crockpot Recipe book. (Yes, I'm that old....) I still have that little booklet: it came with the first crockpot I bought.

I remember how good that was; I no longer eat meat, but recall that one with fondness.

Oh, and the soup called for was Campbell's Old Fashioned Tomato Rice and I think that was discontinued quite a while ago.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 PM

17,262 posts, read 21,107,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
Sounds good! I like 5 spice..
When I started doing Asian cooking in a Wok a month ago, any # of recipes called for 5-spice powder, but I had a difficult time finding it. I even went to an Oriental (largely Philippino) store and they didn't know what I was talking about.

But in the most recent book I found on Oriental cooking, it actually gives the recipe for 5-spice powder, in case anyone is interested.

1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp, crushed aniseed or 1 star anise grounded, 1/4 tsp. crushed fennel seed, 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper or crushed Szechwan pepper, and /8 tsp. ground cloves.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:56 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,942,934 times
This sounds superb!

Old 07-16-2011, 10:19 AM

71,671 posts, read 83,230,487 times
I think one of these days I am going to give it a try. The few times I have had pork or pot roasts cooked in the slow cooker there has been something about the texture that I am not crazy over, but it seems more people are doing this all the time, so I guess I better get with the times.

I did my pork butt in the oven last Sunday for about 8 hours (250 degrees) then sliced a couple of pieces and put it back for another couple of hours. All I spiced it with was a little salt and pepper, garlic and a can of beer. OMG, it was wonderful. As a kid I didn't care for pork, as a young adult I didn't either except for ham and sausage. Now, give me pork or chicken anyday and I will have trouble stopping every bite on my plate and someone elses from going into my big mouth.

Nita

Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 PM

36,927 posts, read 45,365,815 times
This sounds great. I've done bbq pork in the slo cooker, but this would be a nice change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or