U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM

12,295 posts, read 9,916,888 times

Advertisements

My favorite.

Take a chuck roast. (Must be chuck). The amount does not matter. But it should be big enough to occupy some space in the pot. More than one is fine too. Sear the meat in a heavy frying pan. Put in the crock pot with some onion. Cook all day. Best pot roast ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,493,950 times
Braised short ribs, with bone. Braise ribs on top of stove. Then slow cook ribs, potatoes, onions, carrots, garlic, whatever else you want for 6-8 hours.

Ribs will fall off bone and melt in your mouth.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:06 AM

120,081 posts, read 14,309,176 times
I do all my East Indian lentil /legume soups in the slow cooker (crockpot),I have one separate where I even make my "kheer" (milk rice) and just like above poster I make a roast and add later some vegetable to it

Old 01-07-2014, 11:18 AM

5,683 posts, read 9,137,803 times
The best crockpot advice I can give you is to always use less liquid than you think you'll need. Crockpot cooking is a wonderful way to make tough meat tender, but if you use too much liquid, all the flavor cooks out of the meat into the broth. You wind up with fabulous broth, but the meat is flavorless.

Things we like to do with a crockpot include:

Put a couple of turkey thighs in the crock with your preferred seasonings (sage, bayleaf, garlic, onion, thyme, black pepper - whatever you like) and a half-cup or so of water. Crock all day on low if the turkey thighs were frozen, 4 to 6 hours on low if they were thawed.

Put a pork roast in the crock with half a cup or so of apple juice, onion slices, garlic and rosemary. Crock on low 4 to 6 hours.

Crockpots are great for dried legumes, too. You need to do the usual pre-soak (either soak them overnight or else bring them to a boil on the stovetop, take off the heat and let sit for an hour), then drain and rinse the beans and dump them into the crockpot. Add about twice as much water as you have beans and crock on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours. (This is the one time when you do need to add the full amount of liquid, by the way; it's only when you cook meat that you need to cut way back on liquid.) Do NOT add any salt or acidic ingredients like tomatoes to your beans until they have cooked into softness. Add flavoring elements (spices, onions, tomatoes, peppers, ham, bacon, etc.) during the final hour or two of cooking.

The nice thing about crockpot cooking is that you really don't HAVE to follow specific recipes, beyond a few basics, at least. If you like onions, dump in extra. If you don't like garlic, don't use it. Experiment with flavoring elements; try using a little orange juice with pork, or red wine with beef. If you have broth or stock on hand, great, but if you don't, water will work just fine. Just don't drown meat when you crock it, and have fun!

Old 01-07-2014, 11:55 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,201,811 times
Pork loin seasoned with salt and pepper, spread course ground mustard on top, finally apricot marmalade. Slow for six to eight hours , yummy!

Baby back ribs or spare ribs, rub with smoke house seasoning baked at four hundred 15 mins rib side up, another 15 rib side down, put in crock pot, add 1/2 cup of sweet baby rays hickory BBQ sauce, low 6 hours.

You can even roast a chicken, just make foil balls and put whole chicken on top of them, seasoned, with a lemon and herbs in the cavity.

I have tons more since I used my crockpot lots of times when I would not get home till after six.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:01 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
You might want to look at

Crock Pot / Slow Cooker Recipes

and
http://www.city-data.com/forum/recip...t-recipes.html

and
Crockpot ideas for work holiday luncheon?

Old 01-07-2014, 03:19 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,938,021 times
I second others that says less liquid is best. Most recipes shouldn't call for more than a cup of liquid if not a stew/soup. In fact my favorite recipes have no liquid.

Here's a crazy recipe for Mississippi Roast. I usually like everything from scratch but this recipe is my "dirty" little secret. lol

Take a chuck roast place it in crock pot. Sprinkle a packet of ranch over it. Sprinkle a packet of au jus over it. Half stick of butter. Throw 10 peperocini pepper rings around it. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. No liquid needed. And the most mouthwatering beef roast plus the crockpot condenses like mad and you will have a most luscious gravy.

Another one is Hawaiian Pork.

Take a pork roast, place in pot. Sprinkle liberally this salt 1/4 cup of water. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Shred and serve with rice.

I often find that special red clay salt at World Market, Marshalls or a specialty food store.

Old 01-07-2014, 03:59 PM

1,632 posts, read 1,500,710 times
Not a recipe but I happened to find disposable crock pot liners a few months ago, haven't used one yet but they seem to fit the usual oval pots that I'm sure we all use , must save a lot of clean up too.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:42 PM

6,191 posts, read 15,380,921 times
I went two months last winter without a stove and made heavy use of my crock pot. I still use it a lot!

Here's a link to one I've made a bunch of times over the years. I get requests for it. The only thing I change is using chicken thighs with the bone and skin still attached instead of chicken breasts because I find white meat chicken to be tasteless and dry.

Crock-Pot Chicken With Black Beans And Cream Cheese...yum! Recipe - Food.com - 89204

Another good one is a variation of momtothree's pork recipe.

Put a pork roast in the crock pot. Add either a large jar of apple sauce with cinnamon, or several sliced apples with cinnamon (I cannot tell the difference once it's cooked.) Do 8-10 hours on low. The meat will be incredibly tender. Use for sandwiches, serve on rice or with potatoes, or my favourite way: doused in hot sauce and melted cheese.

I also have lots of vegetarian recipes.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:55 PM

5,683 posts, read 9,137,803 times
I've been trying unsuccessfully to dig up a recipe I found a while back that we liked a lot - it's approximately this:

Put two pounds of quartered tomatillos, a couple of quartered onions and a jalapeno or two on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil for 5 to 10 minutes, until the veggies are starting to get a little scorched.

Dump the veggies into a crockpot. Add a 3-pound pork roast and half a cup or so of chicken broth or water. Crock all day on low.

Take the pork out and set on a platter. Using an immersion blender, puree the tomatillo/onion/jalapeno/broth mixture until smooth. Serve the the pork drizzled with the sauce.

The bonus with this is that you wind up with a whole lot more of that tomatillo sauce than you need for the pork roast. Bung the excess into zip-lock freezer bags and freeze it to use in enchiladas verdes at a later date. The pork-infused sauce is unbelievably good as the green sauce for enchiladas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or