U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2014, 11:45 PM

12,446 posts, read 10,897,061 times

Advertisements

I have a batch of boiled peanuts cooking in the crock pot overnight. So easy and so good. A bag of raw peanuts in the shell dumped in the crock pot, fill 3/4 full with water, add enough salt for a brine similar to Gulf sea water, add some pepper flakes and/or pepper sauce if you want a kick, turn crock pot on high and cook on high for an hour after water comes to temperature. Cook on low overnight or until done. The length of time to cook depends on the freshness of the raw peanuts.

When done, the peanut shells and the brine will be a dark grey and the peanuts within will have lost their firmness - like cooked beans.

They aren't for everyone, but we sure like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 02:54 PM

Well... we're now eating those boiled peanuts that cooked all night (yum). I left the crock pot on high for the first three hours instead of one, then cooked them on low for 14 hours.

You have to try them at least once before you say "never." You might be pleasantly surprised.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:08 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,344,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I have a batch of boiled peanuts cooking in the crock pot overnight. So easy and so good. A bag of raw peanuts in the shell dumped in the crock pot, fill 3/4 full with water, add enough salt for a brine similar to Gulf sea water, add some pepper flakes and/or pepper sauce if you want a kick, turn crock pot on high and cook on high for an hour after water comes to temperature. Cook on low overnight or until done. The length of time to cook depends on the freshness of the raw peanuts.

When done, the peanut shells and the brine will be a dark grey and the peanuts within will have lost their firmness - like cooked beans.

They aren't for everyone, but we sure like them.

That sounds easy, but how much salt are you adding to how large a slow cooker? And raw peanuts come in what size bags? (Not that I've ever seen those in my life, come to think of it...)

Old 03-23-2014, 06:52 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,498,663 times
I love to cook Italian beef in the crockpot! So, this morning I cut up the beef in cubes and put it in the crockpot with a part of a package of Louie's seasonings and several peperoncini peppers and a bit of the juice from the pepper jar. I like the taste of the meat when I use Louie's. You don't have to add any other spices when using this. (Get it at Walmart or most grocery stores)

Louie′s Seasoning Co.

Old 03-27-2014, 12:50 PM

7,112 posts, read 9,344,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishgirl43 View Post
My California Kid doesn't eat gluten, dairy or use sugar. Unfortunately, almost all my recipes require cheese. I love cheese. So I have to get creative when they come to visit. This recipe was a real hit with them and I hope you'll like it too Don't you just love the convenience of using a crockpot?

Crockpot Spanish Rice

2 lb. lean ground chick
2 medium onions, chopped (I used 1 pretty big one)
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cans (14-1/2 oz. ea.) tomatoes
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
1 c. water
2-1/2 tsp. chili powder
2-1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. rice, uncooked and NOT Minute Rice

Brown beef in skillet and drain off fat. Put all the ingredients in Crockpot and stir thoroughlyly. Cover and cook on low 6 hours or on Hi 3 hours. Note: My recipe says 6-8 hours but the rice is cooked way before that.

Have you ever tried this one with the beef browned in the bottom of the crockpot itself? It sounds good, that's for sure.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:40 PM

36,614 posts, read 41,896,432 times
Right now, smoked sausage, sauerkraut, beer, onions, brown sugar, and mustard are simmering in the crock pot.

Old 03-27-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Right now, smoked sausage, sauerkraut, beer, onions, brown sugar, and mustard are simmering in the crock pot.
Gotta love that concoction - I can smell it from here. We have a sausage brand here in Dixie called Conecuh and it's great for crock pot recipes.

Old 03-27-2014, 11:47 PM

36,614 posts, read 41,896,432 times
My husband didn't like it. The kraut got too sweet from the beer and brown sugar for his taste.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
My husband didn't like it. The kraut got too sweet from the beer and brown sugar for his taste.
Then try it without the brown sugar - and he darned-well better give you kudos for taking the time to cook.

My wife has lots of tried-and-true recipes, but I'm the one in our household who experiments with recipes and sometimes they aren't well-received. There's this time I fixed a braised beef cheek recipe. It took two days to prepare and resulted in something resembling beef jello.

If every recipe everyone made was a resounding success we'd all be award-winning chefs.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:19 PM

676 posts, read 745,359 times
Default Slow Cooker Recipes

Would you all share some of your favorite Crock Pot recipes? I have three sizes of crock pots, a couple of them were bought at yard sales so don't think I am obsessed with buying crock pots! Please tell me the size you use...thank you

Last edited by tarajane2013; 06-09-2014 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: added info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or