Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:23 PM

187 posts, read 614,007 times

Advertisements

Ok I have been meaning to try this so tomarrow is the day I bought the roast, banana peppers and cheese, so Cant wait!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
crockpot bbq chicken my mom goes nuts when i fix it.
bake thighs for 1 hr at 350 in oven then put in crock pot with a whole bottle of
bbq sauce 3 hrs
yum yum

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-13-2007 at 10:28 PM.. Reason: misspell

Old 11-14-2007, 06:31 AM

369 posts, read 1,960,673 times
Default Maybe try this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
I don't use my crock-pot that often. I usually can't get myself out of bed in time to spare the few extra minutes it would take to throw something in the pot before I have to be out of the door. However, I am a big fan of dressing up very basic foods to make a quick and yummy meal, like this recipe for Asian Noodles (http://better.tv/bettertv/?cid=713290235&lid=626893502&tid=800772021&ordersr c=rafbettertv - broken link) made with ramen. This recipe just happens to be cheap too!
Assemble everything in the crock the night before. Put it in the fridge. In the morning, take it out before you leave for work or school and when you come home - dinner's ready! I do this almost every time. It just makes it easier.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
I use our crockpot all the time. I actually had one that I used so much it gave up the ghost so I went and got a new one. Of course I use it to make chile and soups and the standard pot roast but I also use it to cook whole chickens too.

Lemon chicken:

Salt and pepper whole chicken
Juice one lemon and zest it about a tsp.

Place chicken in crockpot

Pour lemon juice over chicken along with zest.

Cook on low 8 hours or until done.

Get a good cookbook. They have many tasty recipes out there. I tend to use the ones that call for all natural ingredients not use a can of this soup with a can of this prepared thing a ma ***. I find that those recipes don't work out as well as the ones that use fresh ingredients.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:05 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,368,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnaie View Post
You can also make a mean meatloaf in a cp. Just make a meatloaf using your regular recipe in the cp, cover it with ketchup or bbq sauce and cook on low 4-6 (for older pots). While I am doing that in one crock, in the other I will cook baked potatoes. Take as many potatoes as you need, wrap each in foil, poke with a fork, stack them all in the crock with NO LIQUID, and cook. I cook them the same amount of time as the mealoaf. When you come home, you have an entree and a side...DONE. If you want to get crazy about it, in the third crock you can make dessert...talk about easy...Have fun!
There are large double urn crockpots out there (walmart has them) that would work great for this recipe of yours. A couple of other little tips that I'll pass on for roasts: take a sharp knife and make incisions so you can slip garlic cloves in there (or olives, capers, chorizo, whatever you like), it permeates the meat for a great flavour. Before you put a roast in the crock put it under your oven broiler on the low rack for 10~15 minutes a side, it really adds flavour and eye treatment for a great end result. One more thing, I use a turkey baster and baste roasts with the juice every hour or two if I am around to do so. How great is it to have the house smell good All day or to come in from the outside and have that scent hit you. Mmm mmm mmm.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:50 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Copied and pasted from another site. My girlfriend made it and loved it. She ended up adding ham cubes the second day for a meal.

Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese

1 8 oz box large macaroni
1 stick of butter
3 cups sharp (New York Sharp) cheddar cheese
1 12 oz can evaporated milk
1 ½ cups homogenized milk (whole is best)
2 eggs
salt
pepper

Grease crock pot or spray with Pam. Cook macaroni in salted water and drain. Pour into crock pot. While still hot, add butter and cheese and stir. Add homogenized milk and stir. Beat eggs and add evaporated milk to the eggs. Add this to macaroni mixture. Can sprinkle top with grated cheese.

Cook on low for three hours. DO NOT open lid during this time.

This was given to me by one of the members of McCarter Presbyterian Church (PCUSA) in Greenville, SC where I was married.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:32 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,262,639 times
Default Crock pot dinners

I thought it would be interesting to share some of our crock pot dinner ideas. Lets be creative and see what we can come up with, other than beef stews and stroganoff ideas..I have a great chicken cacciatorre recipe that I will post.. I love my Pot, but don't have many ideas, they seem so boring!!.. Whats better than throwing it all together, and enjoying a cocktail while dinner prepares itself! Please share..

Old 02-27-2008, 01:28 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
I would love it if anybody has some ideas for chicken parts such as drumsticks and thighs.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
Oh man.....we do thighs all the time in the crockpot. Just de-skin and trim the thighs. Pat dry and season with salt and pepper. Place in crockpot and cover with your favorite bbq sauce (or anything really). Cook on low until meat falls off the bone!! Serve with coleslaw and cornbread.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM

214 posts, read 270,681 times
Chicken, any parts. Some times I do this with Turkey sausage links, turkey thighs or turkey breast. This is awesome witrh Lamb
Add a can of rotel diced tomatos, use what ever flavor you like.
2 cans for anything more then 6 pieces,
A large can of tomato paste,add a can of chicken both or vegetable broth, use the can from the tomato paste.
Add 1/2 cup of graded cheese
Stir everything together
Salt and Pepper
Garlic and onions if you like
Some times I add fresh sliced mushrooms.
Sometimes I put rosemary or a couple basil leaves, sometimes I use both.
Now this is where I mix it up, sometimes I put perogies in it, sometimes quick cooking barley, egg noodles, rice..what ever your famiy likes the best.

Chinese Cashew Tuna

7 ounces tuna in water -- drain/flake
1 cup celery -- diced
½ cup onions -- minced
3 tablespoons margarine
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cups bean sprouts -- drained
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 cup cashews -- coarsely chopped
1 cup chow mein noddles.

Combine all ingredients except chow mein noodles in Crock-Pot; stir
well. Cover and cook on Low setting for 4 to 9 hours. Serve over rice with chow mein noodles.

Yum Yum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes