Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:57 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Once you've tried stone ground grits you will not go back to regular grits. I make cheese grits casserole or souffle for every holiday meal. And many times in between.
Girls are having End of Grade tests this week and have been told to eat a good hot breakfast all week. Both requested the cheese grits casserole I make. I also add a dash of Lea and Perrins and Lawry's seasoned salt. I simply cook my grits in chicken broth instead of water.
Post the recipe!!

I think most people outside the south have misconceptions about grits.

I use stone ground but outside the south, most people cannot find them. I know here in South Florida, they are almost impossible to find but my Publix carries them for me because they carry them in Publix in South Carolina. I had to beg the GM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 03:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
Gosh don't really have a recipe.

I cook stone ground grits in chicken stock according to directions on package. Dash to Lowry's season salt, 1/2 to whole stick of butter,dash of Lea and Perrins, add cup of grated SHARP cheddar cheese and one egg- be sure to temper small amount of grits with egg before adding egg to hot grits or you will get scrambled eggs. ...bake in casserole at 350 till it is golden on top- 30 minutes

For souffle after adding cheese I let them cool a bit then mix in 2 or 3 egg yolks. Whip up the whites and fold them in grits and cheese. Then bake 350 for about 30-45 minutes. Sometimes I add garlic sauteed in butter or garlic powder. As close to a recipe as I can get. I think I could make it blindfolded. But I'm sure there are a zillion recipes for cheese grits casserole or souffle on the internet.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:01 PM

20,926 posts, read 28,393,733 times
I love grits with cheese and butter. The best grits I ever had was at the eagle diner in Laurel Delaware. Loaded with butter which is how I like mine.

Old 06-03-2014, 08:55 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I think most people outside the south have misconceptions about grits.
Around here, the most common type is watery Quaker instant grits. Blech. Even a lot of diners use instant grits.

I like the stoneground grits, too. Butter and salt is all I need; sometimes cheese.

Old 06-03-2014, 09:07 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,231,390 times
Quote:
Once you've tried stone ground grits you will not go back to regular grits. I make cheese grits casserole or souffle for every holiday meal. And many times in between.
Girls are having End of Grade tests this week and have been told to eat a good hot breakfast all week. Both requested the cheese grits casserole I make. I also add a dash of Lea and Perrins and Lawry's seasoned salt. I simply cook my grits in chicken broth instead of water.

I love cheese grits casserole. My wife is a good cook and has a southern branch to her family. She also adds the Lee and Perrins but she uses Old Bay seasoning and chives. We have grits at holiday dinners too.

Where do you get these stone ground grits?

Old 06-03-2014, 09:26 PM

Some stores where I live carry Bob's Red Mill, but I don't like them - the texture seems odd to me.

Mail order is your best bet - Amazon has several brands.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 AM

I've never had a problem finding stone ground grits in Atlanta or N.C. How sad to live in a place where stone ground grits aren't readily available!

DH mistakenly bought instant grits one time and i almost turned to a pillar of salt after trying it. Good Lord it is nothing more than salt and water with "corn" whispered over them. If people base their like or dislike of grits based on instant grits----well no wonder.

I've been in some restaurants where the grits are very watery. Don't like that. We like our grits with some body. And why would anybody buy instant grits anyway. It only takes 5 minutes to fix the other kind and a bit longer for stone ground. Not a major time investment.
Want to know what i did with the instant grits? I learned long ago that they kill or at least run off moles. and sometimes ants. Just sprinkle grits in a mole hole and he will eat it and them "blow up" after it expands in his stomach. Bye bye Mr. Mole!!!!

Old 06-04-2014, 06:28 AM

986 posts, read 1,665,490 times
Quote:
I've never had a problem finding stone ground grits in Atlanta or N.C. How sad to live in a place where stone ground grits aren't readily available!

DH mistakenly bought instant grits one time and i almost turned to a pillar of salt after trying it. Good Lord it is nothing more than salt and water with "corn" whispered over them. If people base their like or dislike of grits based on instant grits----well no wonder.

I've been in some restaurants where the grits are very watery. Don't like that. We like our grits with some body. And why would anybody buy instant grits anyway. It only takes 5 minutes to fix the other kind and a bit longer for stone ground. Not a major time investment.
Want to know what i did with the instant grits? I learned long ago that they kill or at least run off moles. and sometimes ants. Just sprinkle grits in a mole hole and he will eat it and them "blow up" after it expands in his stomach. Bye bye Mr. Mole!!!!
In my case, I've had to cook instant because stone ground are hard to find out here. It's amazing what you take for granted regionally, until you move.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:47 AM

My sincere condolences. At least the Quick Cooking Grits are good enough to taste like real grits. They only take 5 minutes.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I've never had a problem finding stone ground grits in Atlanta or N.C.
Well, duh, maybe because Atlanta and North Carolina are in the South? Not all of us are privileged to live there, nor do we feel compelled to move just so we can get good grits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes