Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 06:08 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,410,951 times

Advertisements

Whenever I search around for recipes online, and user feedback is available, I've noticed that 99% of people don't bother to make the recipe exactly as described. They make substitutions, cook for longer or shorter periods, leave things out, add things in, etc.

I find that there are some recipes that I will follow exactly, especially the first time I try them. Then there are other recipes that I feel comfortable enough to make some of my own modifications to. And once I've tried a recipe, if it's pretty good but not great, I have no problem doctoring it up differently if I'm going to try it again. And there are recipes that I use strictly as a guideline, and make my own version up as I go along.

So, are you an experimenter, or must you follow the ingredients list and the cooking directions exactly, or else you'll panic about the results?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 06:36 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,014,665 times
I rarely follow recipes exactly. Whenever I share a recipe with my friends they always ask me what I did different!

Old 11-21-2009, 06:51 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,273,661 times
A recipe is a place to start. If I don't like something in it I leave it out to suit myself. I'm an independent cuss.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:58 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,410,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nALgirl View Post

I rarely follow recipes exactly. Whenever I share a recipe with my friends they always ask me what I did different!
My great aunt had a recipe for pound cake that was UNbelievable. EVERYONE wanted the recipe, which she was more than happy to share. The only problem was, NO ONE could make it quite like she did. She kept insisting she wasn't leaving any important ingredients out, but everyone had their doubts. My mother finally decided that it must have had something to do with how often, and for how long, she'd open the oven door during baking. Nobody could ever figure it out and she took the secret to her grave.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post

A recipe is a place to start. If I don't like something in it I leave it out to suit myself. I'm an independent cuss.
That would be me and sage. There are plenty of delicious herbs without adding the one that tastes like dirt. Blech.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:14 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,765,779 times
I make modifications often, but not to the extent that some people do. I have seen some very odd substitutions made by people and then they give a bad review of the recipe. Some of these things are just way out there and make no sense whatsoever. I wish I could think of a specific example...I have laughed out loud at some of the things I've seen on recipezaar and foodnetwork.

Old 11-21-2009, 08:14 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,373,327 times
I'll follow it as exactly as I can the first time.

Then I play!

Old 11-22-2009, 04:06 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,783,332 times
Very rarely do I follow a receipe. Very hard for me to share with people as I never measure anything. I go with my gut and have rarely messed up.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:34 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,843,211 times
Jill61, we don't like sage, either. We usually skip T'giving stuffing because of it, but I'm trying out a new recipe this year with bakery baked sourdough bread---and I'm cutting the sage called for in the recipe by half. So to answer the question, I usually follow the recipe exactly, but if it calls for an ingredient my family doesn't care for, I'll eliminate it, or at least halve the ingredient.

One thing I've learned at recipe sites that have reviews posted, is to take those reviews "with a grain of salt". Meaning, I don't make major changes to a recipe because some say the recipe is better that way. I once made a mac n cheese recipe, and doubled the amount of noodles the recipe called for, because so many reviewers stated they did so, and preferred it that way. But I ended up with a very bland, dry dish. So now I try out the recipe as stated at first, then adjust it the next time if it shows promise.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:05 AM

5,855 posts, read 11,855,289 times
It completely depends on the recipe and the degree of difficulty. Sometimes I'll read a recipe and think "whoa, that sounds like a lot of xxx" and I'll cut it back - or in the case of hot spice, I always add more. Other times, if I'm totally unsure of what the result will be, I follow the recipe exactly and then decide if I want to modify it the next time. I like to read the reviews and see what other people have done but I use my own judgement as to how those changes will affect the final outcome.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:45 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,597,893 times
If it is baking I follow it exactly. If it is just a cooking recipe then I'll make whatever modifications I feel like.

I agree that it is annoying when people leave a bad review for a recipe that they didn't follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes