U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 05-16-2007, 06:40 AM
 
Location: mid-Illinois
1,176 posts, read 1,139,855 times
Reputation: 640
Default Need A Brocolli Soup Recipe NO cheese

Can someone help me please. I really like Brocolli Soup with no cheese. I have tried several recipes I got off the internet and the result is just bland and I can't taste the brocolli.

Does anyone have a really good recipe that you have used ... and one for which the brocolli taste is there.

Is it best to partially cook the soup, then put it in the blender and blend it a while to get more flavor into the soup???

doll lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-16-2007, 08:44 AM
 
Location: United States
688 posts, read 1,771,710 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
Can someone help me please. I really like Brocolli Soup with no cheese. I have tried several recipes I got off the internet and the result is just bland and I can't taste the brocolli.

Does anyone have a really good recipe that you have used ... and one for which the brocolli taste is there.

Is it best to partially cook the soup, then put it in the blender and blend it a while to get more flavor into the soup???

doll lady
This is simple, and I think when you keep it simple and don't clog it up with all sorts of other ingredients, you get that stronger broccoli flavor your looking for, also, you could tone down the chicken stock in this by adding the same amount in a chicken stock/water combination. The handheld immersion blender is best because it still leaves some pieces chunky and blending it does make the flavor of the broccoli come out more.....
Let me know how you like it...........

Cream-o-Broccoli Soup

1/2 stick butter
1 large onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 to 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 (10-ounce) package frozen broccoli
1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper


Melt butter in large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Sweat onions, and stir in the flour until incorporated. Gradually whisk in the stock. Add the broccoli and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Finish with cream. Roughly puree with an immersion blender and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

I like to add a little seasoned salt on top of mine also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2007, 01:57 PM
 
Location: mid-Illinois
1,176 posts, read 1,139,855 times
Reputation: 640
LuLu.....thanks so much....I will be trying that this weekend for sure!

I have to be careful eating salt so that low sodium chicken stock is just right!

I can't wait!

I may have to go to the grocery store in a little bit and make it NOW! LOL

I don't have an immersion blender but I will try my blender or my heavy duty mixer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2007, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, home of the NY/NJ refugees
1,384 posts, read 13,291 times
Reputation: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
LuLu.....thanks so much....I will be trying that this weekend for sure!

I have to be careful eating salt so that low sodium chicken stock is just right!

I can't wait!

I may have to go to the grocery store in a little bit and make it NOW! LOL

I don't have an immersion blender but I will try my blender or my heavy duty mixer!
I use fresh broccoli and in a pot simmer for 35 min:

1-2 large clusters of broccoli
1 onion, chopped coarsley
1 large carrot chopped coarsley
1 large rib celery chopped coarsley
3 cloves garlic chopped
2 cans of low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2-1c water
chopped parsley and basil to taste
salt and pepper to taste

-sautee onion and garlic in 1 tbsp oliv oil a few min in stock pot and then add all the other ingredients.
after simmering for 35 min blend in blender in batches.

This is very flavorful and low-cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2007, 09:04 AM
 
Location: United States
688 posts, read 1,771,710 times
Reputation: 439
Glad you like it doll lady!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2007, 11:54 PM
 
Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,144 posts, read 3,023,601 times
Reputation: 3737
Thumbs up Hello Lulu108! Great Recipe!

HELLO LULU108!
Thanks for posting this recipe! It was YUMMY!!!!!!!

I tried it and everyone liked it!
The one thing I did differently, is that I left the cream out until the end and asked if the person wanted it in or not...So if someone really wanted LOW CAL=no cream, and for the rest I added the cream.
Also, instead of the flour to make it thick, I used two medium size potatoes.
Anyway, THANKS FOR POSTING the recipe, because I also love broccoli!
THANK YOU!
COUNTRYLV22


Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLu108 View Post
This is simple, and I think when you keep it simple and don't clog it up with all sorts of other ingredients, you get that stronger broccoli flavor your looking for, also, you could tone down the chicken stock in this by adding the same amount in a chicken stock/water combination. The handheld immersion blender is best because it still leaves some pieces chunky and blending it does make the flavor of the broccoli come out more.....
Let me know how you like it...........

Cream-o-Broccoli Soup

1/2 stick butter
1 large onion, finely diced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 to 6 cups low-sodium chicken stock
1 (10-ounce) package frozen broccoli
1/2 to 3/4 cup heavy cream
Salt and freshly ground black pepper


Melt butter in large, heavy pot over medium-high heat. Sweat onions, and stir in the flour until incorporated. Gradually whisk in the stock. Add the broccoli and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Finish with cream. Roughly puree with an immersion blender and season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

I like to add a little seasoned salt on top of mine also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2007, 11:58 PM
 
Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,144 posts, read 3,023,601 times
Reputation: 3737
Thumbs up Hello Kmway! Thank You!

HELLO KMWAY!
GREAT RECIPE AS WELL!
THANK YOU FOR POSTING IT! YUMMY!

BY : COUNTRYLV22


Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
I use fresh broccoli and in a pot simmer for 35 min:

1-2 large clusters of broccoli
1 onion, chopped coarsley
1 large carrot chopped coarsley
1 large rib celery chopped coarsley
3 cloves garlic chopped
2 cans of low-sodium vegetable broth
1/2-1c water
chopped parsley and basil to taste
salt and pepper to taste

-sautee onion and garlic in 1 tbsp oliv oil a few min in stock pot and then add all the other ingredients.
after simmering for 35 min blend in blender in batches.

This is very flavorful and low-cal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2007, 08:16 PM
 
Location: United States
688 posts, read 1,771,710 times
Reputation: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
HELLO LULU108!
Thanks for posting this recipe! It was YUMMY!!!!!!!

I tried it and everyone liked it!
The one thing I did differently, is that I left the cream out until the end and asked if the person wanted it in or not...So if someone really wanted LOW CAL=no cream, and for the rest I added the cream.
Also, instead of the flour to make it thick, I used two medium size potatoes.
Anyway, THANKS FOR POSTING the recipe, because I also love broccoli!
THANK YOU!
COUNTRYLV22

It was my pleasure! [A broccoli lover as well! ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2007, 09:26 PM
 
Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON!"*"CHRISTE, ELEISON" KYRIE, ELEISON!"0)
2,144 posts, read 3,023,601 times
Reputation: 3737
Thumbs up Hello Doll Lady! Thank You!

HELLO DOLL LADY!
THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS THREAD!

BECAUSE OF YOU, I GOT TWO GREAT BROCCOLI RECIPES!

I AM A BROCCOLI LOVER TOO!
Have a nice one!
COUNTRYLV22


Quote:
Originally Posted by doll lady View Post
Can someone help me please. I really like Brocolli Soup with no cheese. I have tried several recipes I got off the internet and the result is just bland and I can't taste the brocolli.

Does anyone have a really good recipe that you have used ... and one for which the brocolli taste is there.

Is it best to partially cook the soup, then put it in the blender and blend it a while to get more flavor into the soup???

doll lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2007, 03:48 AM
 
Location: mid-Illinois
1,176 posts, read 1,139,855 times
Reputation: 640
YAY....to update this....I tried LuLu's recipe thus far. It was really good, but I did modify it a bit .... rather than heavy cream I used 1/2 and 1/2. I am supposed to watch fat grams.....I probably should have gone with milk rather than the cream avenue....but oh so good. And I froze the rest for another day!

Next time I will try kmway's recipe.....it sounds good too but I might have to leave the carrot out.....Not a lover of cooked carrot!

Thank you all for responding to this post.

doll lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top