U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2009, 02:04 PM

2,185 posts, read 4,081,308 times

Advertisements

Looking for a good authinic recipe for lebkuchen. I grew up on Germany, now live in the states. I never cooked them myself but now that my mom has passed away and I don't have any of her recipes I have been trying to some I found on the internet but they really don't taste the same and there are so many different variations.

If anyone has one they have made themselves and know it's good. please post it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 04:08 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,184,498 times
Thumbs up These are from my 'first' daughter ...

My German exchange student made these for me in 1989 - they were good! Yes, I keep almost everything

Lebkuchen (from Isabel S.)
6 dozen

1/2 cup honey (120 ml)
1/2 cup molasses (120 ml)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (165 g)
1 egg
1 tablespoon lemon juice (15 ml)
1 teaspoon lemon zest (2 g)
2 3/4 cups flour (345 g)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (2 g)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (2 g)
1 teaspoon cloves (2 g)
1 teaspoon allspice (2 g)
1 teaspoon nutmeg (2 g)
1/3 cup diced (really really small) candied citron (80 g)
1/3 cup chopped (really really small) hazelnuts (80 g)
Icing:
milk or water, your preference
powdered sugar

Mix together the honey and molasses. Warm it up in the microwave and then stir in the brown sugar, egg, lemon juice and zest. In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, and spices. Add the molasses mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in the citron and hazelnuts. Cover it and put in the refrigerator overnight.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease your cookie sheets. Using a small amount of dough at a time, roll out on a lightly floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into your shapes and place them 1 inch apart onto the cookie sheet.

(Make the frosting while they bake!) Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until no imprint remains when you touch them. Brush the icing over the cookies while they are still hot and quickly remove them to wire cooling racks. After they cool, store in an airtight container. (if you put a piece of apple or a wedge of orange in with the cookies for 5 to 6 hours, it seems to make them ... better :-))

To make the icing: Combine the sugar and liquid to the consistency you like; should be on the thin side. You can always warm it in the microwave to make it thinner and easier to frost quickly.

Old 11-27-2009, 05:45 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,140,304 times
Serendipity, I just heard this on NPR's All Things Considered regarding Lebkuchen cookies. Listen, read or download the podcast - 5 minutes. Scroll down the page to "Cookie Day In The Garage" to read and copy the recipe. (The other stories here are great too. I like "Drop The Brussels Sprout" )

Nontraditional Thanksgiving Traditions: Leftovers : NPR

Courtesy NPR and Brian Merrell, Lee's Summit, MO

Lebkuchen Recipe
2 eggs
1 C sugar
1/2 C candied orange peel finely chopped
1/2 C candied lemon peel finely chopped
3 C flour
1 t cinnamon
1 t cloves
1/3 C honey
1/4 C oil
1 C finely chopped filberts (hazelnuts)
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t soda or baking powder
1/3 C rum

Beat eggs and sugar, add oil and honey, then nuts and peel and mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add to create a stiff dough so will need to be mixed by hand. Add rum and mix. Roll out and cut. Chill dough first if desired. Bake on greased cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 10 minutes (or to your liking — soft or crispy). While warm, ice with powdered sugar icing flavored with rum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes