Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:52 AM

1,808 posts, read 6,496,398 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm an unimaginative cook! DH and I have invited another couple over on Sunday. I'd like to be able to serve some appetizers. Does anyone have any suggestions for something easy I can make?

TIA for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 07:35 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
How about a vegetable, fruit, and cheese tray. You can also make a couple dips (spinach, french onion, cucumber yogurt) and set out some fancy crackers.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 AM

7,525 posts, read 16,983,404 times
mix one 4 ounce can of mild green chili's (Chi Chi's, Old El Paso, Hatch, Ortega's, etc) with one pound of cream cheese (two packages). spread thickly on flour tortillas. roll the tortillas in a tight roll. cut the "tortilla cigar" into one inch slices and arrange on a platter. make the day ahead and cover with wrap and refrigerate.......make lots, they will go fast...............

Old 12-03-2009, 08:56 AM

51 posts, read 87,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
mix one 4 ounce can of mild green chili's (Chi Chi's, Old El Paso, Hatch, Ortega's, etc) with one pound of cream cheese (two packages). spread thickly on flour tortillas. roll the tortillas in a tight roll. cut the "tortilla cigar" into one inch slices and arrange on a platter. make the day ahead and cover with wrap and refrigerate.......make lots, they will go fast...............
You can also make something similar in a hot appetizer. I usully combine cream cheese, green chilis, shredded cheddar cheese, garlic, chopped onion, and sometimes little jalepeno. (no particular amounts, just what tastes good) I roll them, chill them, slice them, and brush them with a little vegetable oil. I bake them at 350 until they start to turn brown and crispy. I serve them with a little salsa and/or sour cream. People always want the recipe!

Old 12-03-2009, 09:55 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Cocktail weiners & BBQ sauce, heat and serve beside a plate of crackers and cheese. Doesn't get much easier.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:19 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Bruschetta. You just chop up the tomatoes, onions, and basil (or buy it in a jar). I can't remember the name, but I also made something that I called "Spanish bruschetta" where I deseeded some tomatoes and put them in a food processor with garlic, olive oil, and some basil. Spread it on some toasted baguette and top with a thin slice of machego cheese (or parmesan also works well). People always like it when I make it, and it's a little different I suppose.

A cheese plate is always good. Go buy some cheeses and crackers, slice up an apple or two, throw some grapes on, and you're done.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:00 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,615 times
Get some regular hotdogs.. not the all beef kind. Cut them in 4th's(don't cook them) and get some bacon and cut that in sections and wrap the raw bacon around the hotdogs. Secure with a toothpick. Put in a pan and cover with brown sugar at about 350 degrees. When the bacon is brown and done take out and serve........Don't be afraid to use alot of the brown sugar........This is a tasty and very easy treat!

Old 12-03-2009, 08:41 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Cocktail weiners & BBQ sauce, heat and serve beside a plate of crackers and cheese. Doesn't get much easier.
Do you have a 1 quart crockpot? Frozen meatballs, 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce and a 1/4 cup of grape jelly.

On that plate of crackers and cheese, throw bunches of green and purple grapes.

For something sweet, buy some graham crackers, pre made cheesecake filling and defrost a tub of frozen strawberries in the frig overnight. I spread the cheesecake filling on the graham crackers and put the strawberries in a small glass bowl in the center with a little jam spoon. Goes quick! (Great for "high tea" with little girls too)

Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,522,451 times
Take one package of Cream Cheese let it sit out till soft
Cut up some Corned Beef and green onions mix well and shape
into a snowball put in the fridge for an hour.

Place it in a center of a plate with crackers around the outside.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
Take one package of Cream Cheese let it sit out till soft
Cut up some Corned Beef and green onions mix well and shape
into a snowball put in the fridge for an hour.

Place it in a center of a plate with crackers around the outside.
Thats my easy go to recipe. Only I use very thin cut strips of deli ham.
My original recipe calls for "Chipped Ham" or "Chipped Beef" (sold in bags) and a bit of garlic powder.
I also roll the ball in a small amount of dried parsley just cuz it looks nicer.
Its always a hit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes