U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 06:51 AM

25,906 posts, read 36,199,574 times

Advertisements

I make a lot of soups in the wintertime, and my husband has been asking for turkey rice soup, so I made some on Saturday. I found a recipe and changed it up a bit (as usual). It was so good that I made it again on Sunday.

The recipe called for wild rice, which I mistakenly thought we had. I substituted Trader Joe's wild rice mix, which has brown and wild rice and yummy little black grains that crunch pleasantly when you eat them. LOVE that rice. I had to use a regular brown/wild rice mix on Sunday, and the TJ mix was better.

The original also calls for draining the bacon and then making a roux from butter and flour. I just used the drippings and omitted the butter. Adjust the amount of flour according to how much fat you have from the bacon (should be equal parts). If you don't eat bacon, use butter.

Turkey and Wild Rice Soup

4 cups water
4 cubes bouillon
1/2 cup wild rice
1/2 cup sliced green onions, white and green parts

8 slices bacon
3/4 cup flour
1 tsp rubbed sage
Pepper
2 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded turkey meat
2 tbsp dry sherry (I left this out)

1. In a medium saucepan, bring first four ingredients to a boil. Cover pot, turn heat to low, and simmer for 40 minutes. Remove from heat.

2. Meanwhile (I wait 20 minutes before this step), cut up bacon with kitchen shears and fry in soup pot. Cook until golden brown, stirring frequently until crisp but not overdone. Remove bacon to drain on paper towels.

3. Add flour, sage, and pepper to drippings to make a roux. Cook over medium-low heat until golden and bubbly. Slowly add milk, stirring constantly, until it thickens. (Turn up the heat if you have to but do not boil.)

4. Add rice and broth to soup pot, stirring well. Add bacon, turkey, and sherry, and heat through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 08:44 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,187,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
4 cups water
4 cubes bouillon

Not homemade broth from your Thanksgiving carcass?

Kidding, kidding!
Sounds really good, I plan on making it after Christmas. Although I'll probably add a few shakes from the Tabasco bottle

Old 01-16-2011, 03:04 PM

I love finding recipes I forgot about.

I searched for a turkey recipe I posted once (roast turkey basted in butter, beer and herbs) because I am making it again today and don't remember where the original recipe is. I found this recipe too ... yum! I am going to make turkey soup tomorrow with the leftover turkey (and yes, homemade broth from the carcass, Gandalara!), but I should have more leftovers for this recipe too. I have some frozen stock in the freezer too, yay!

I love being able to unexpectedly make a whole meal out of stuff I have on hand.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:11 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,212,658 times
I can't imagine turkey and rice without a turkey carcass and bones being the stock. And, since most of the good meat is gone and the pan is used for gravy, I even have trouble with that. But boullion cubes? Oh, geez. Can I just make up a recipe here?

Get two turkey legs. Roast in roasting pan with carrots onions celery and other favorite vegetables. Remove large piecces of dark meat from the turkey and reserve for sandwichices and a little turkey for the soup.

Deglaze the pan, simmer with can of chicken broth and two cans of water. Strain everything out and use the stock for your soup. New carrots, onions and celery, diced and lightly sauteed in butter until translucent. Make the roux, add the turkey stock, add the wild rice and cook until rice is just tender. Add a little reserved turkey meat and serve.

Old 01-16-2011, 05:54 PM

Hey, I know, bouillon, yuck. This was over a year ago, and I've learned a lot about cooking since then. I don't use bouillon anymore. The good cooks will look at any recipe and be able to improvise into something better suiting his or her family (taste, healthiness, whatever). But sneering at bouillon is no different from someone else's turning up a nose at using canned broth. The green onions and the sage are a nice addition and a more unusual taste, so I think the recipe is worthwhile.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:00 PM

25,584 posts, read 31,700,505 times
That sounds really good.

Old 01-16-2011, 07:24 PM

10,139 posts, read 23,212,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hey, I know, bouillon, yuck. This was over a year ago, and I've learned a lot about cooking since then. I don't use bouillon anymore. The good cooks will look at any recipe and be able to improvise into something better suiting his or her family (taste, healthiness, whatever). But sneering at bouillon is no different from someone else's turning up a nose at using canned broth. The green onions and the sage are a nice addition and a more unusual taste, so I think the recipe is worthwhile.
Sorry about the sneering.

Old 01-17-2011, 06:31 AM

Eh, no worries. I apologize for sounding snarky. I didn't mean to at the time, but reading it now ... yeah. Sorry about that.

Come have some soup and make it all better.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:16 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,704,214 times
This sounds really good, I love wild rice. I think I might try it with Kitchen Basics beef or chicken broth which is all natural ingredients. (not sneering!) And maybe ground turkey? I have made soup before by browning ground turkey and then adding it, it actually worked well. TFS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or