U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 07:54 AM

1,362 posts, read 3,805,987 times

Advertisements

I want to do a traditional southern New Year's Day meal.

What is the best way to prepare blackeyed peas?

I think I also need to make collard greens and cornbread.

Thanks from a new southerner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:14 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,328,819 times
Are you using dried peas or fresh/frozen peas? Would you rather use pork fat or smoked turkey?

Old 12-30-2009, 09:00 AM

I'd say the pork fat. I'll use whichever peas you think would be better. I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

Old 12-30-2009, 09:10 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,256,926 times
Use fresh or frozen. NEVER use the can variety, barf.

Put them on early. Here is what I do and let them cook on low-low for several hours, 3 is good. You have to understand I don't measure everything either so it is kind of a whatever on that point

One bag of frozen black-eyed peas in pot and add water, enough to cover and a little extra.
About 2 tablespoons diced onion
Pork - bacon or ham cut into small pieces is great as well as salt pork (found at the meat counter and comes in a small package).
Salt and pepper
stir, cover and simmer low for hours while occassionaly stirring them. Once they start to get done I like to squish a few of them with the back of the spoon while I'm stirring them to make the juice thicker. Your house will smell divine.

fyi: I'm usually fixing a ham for lunch but when I put the peas on earlier in the day I'll take 2 pieces of bacon, uncooked, and tear into small pieces and put in the peas. Then just before I put the ham in the oven I'll pull a piece out (spiral ham) and cut it up into small pieces (about 1/4") and put in the peas and stir. Even if I have the salt pork or pork fat I like to do this as having the little small piecs of pork in with them to eat is really good.

As for the collard greens if you are using fresh:
wash, pat dry and tear into smaller pieces (they will shrink down so the pieces you tear are not "bite size")
Put in a pot of water w/ some sugar and pork (bacon, ham, etc)
When they are done it will look like spinach and your house will stink. The black-eyed peas will help in the aroma department
You can also buy frozen chopped collards. Have some pepper sauce on hand to add to them when you serve them. Pepper sauce is a condiment and comes in a bottle that you shake the liquid out of that is full of small peppers.

Corn bread......... a meal all on its own. yum

Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM

Thank you so much. I'm going to print this out. We had a spiral sliced ham for Christmas and I saved the bone with some of the ham on it. I'll use this.

I will officially have my first southern meal for New Years!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,256,926 times

Don't forget the sweet tea. Boil water and add two family size teabags when it boils and turn off heat. Let steep for about an hour. Put a cup to a cup and a half of sugar in a LARGE pitcher (I make the big almost 2 gallon pitcher). Pour tea over sugar and stir and then add water and stir. Pour over ice into glasses and serve. I prefer the Luzainne Decaf tea.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:39 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,113,590 times
I can't add a gosh-darn thing to what Momof2DW said in terms of how to best prepare the black-eyed peas (and again, fresh is best, dried will work, but cannned is to be avoided unless in the case of true emergency!).

However, let me just mention that if one can find some fresh okra to go along with it all? Then ya got a sweet bit of Dixie heaven!

Old 12-30-2009, 12:50 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
I always cook fresh peas by first soaking. Then I use a pork bone with scapes to make a stock. I use a onion not peeeld to cut in qaurters;a piece of celery and a large clove of garlic not peeled cut in quarters then two quarts of water. I bring to a boil then simmer for upto 8 hours and then strain. After soaking I then do the beans in this instead of water. Great for green beans and other vegatables incluidng new years cabbage.The left over stock can be forzen for later use.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:26 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,328,819 times
Sorry, I forgot that I asked you what you were using.

I also use diced onions in my peas. I cover them in water and add smoked turkey or pork fat. I then drop in a chicken bouillon and season them with a little onion powder, garlic powder, salt & pepper, and olive oil once they start rolling (boiling).

I use fresh frozen that I shelled with my own hands or dried peas. I only soak the dried ones prior to cooking.

P.S. You could use the same recipe for your greens, too. Now that I think about it they both cook the same and just about at the same time, too. However, personally I don't put diced onion in my greens. Every now in then a diced chile or jalapeno.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:38 AM

Thanks everyone! I forgot all about the sweet tea, and I just love okra! I'll be off to Krogers again this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or