U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2009, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,831 times

Advertisements

im looking for a cole slaw, my grandma used to make. my mother cant remember and g-ma must have took the recipe to heaven. it was sweet and tangy no mayo stuff she was german.i just found this site trying figure out how to navigate. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 PM

98 posts, read 173,240 times
The dressing is probably just some sugar and apple cider vinegar. Put in a jar and shake it well til sugar is dissolved. Maybe a tiny pinch of poppy seeds mixed in, too. I just eyeball it, but try with about 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup of the vinegar. Just keep tasting til you get it right. Pour it over coarse shredded cabbage and a finely shredded carrot.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:52 PM

161 posts, read 300,893 times
We use equal amounts of sugar and white vinegar. Other things you can add if you like is: green pepper, celery seed, onion, a small amount of turmeric....just about anything you like! We use the same dressing over an italian pasta salad...and for corn relish. It's great over cucumbers too, makes them taste kind of like bread and butter pickles after sitting for awhile.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:38 PM

2,160 posts, read 6,710,762 times
you might also try a herb infused vinegar. A caterer I used to work for used tarragon flavored cider vinegar and it was a big hit.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:28 AM

31 posts, read 67,632 times
Are these 2 recipes similar to your g-ma's recipe?

1 medium head cabbage, shredded
1 large red onion, diced
1 cup grated carrots
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 cup white sugar
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dry mustard
black pepper to taste

In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onion, carrots, and celery. Sprinkle with 1 cup sugar, and mix well. In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, oil, salt, dry mustard, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Pour hot dressing over cabbage mixture, and mix well.

the other recipe is this one

2 (1 lb) packages coleslaw mix
1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tsp. celery seed
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup canola oil

Bring to boil, cider vinegar, oil, sugar, salt, celery seed & garlic powder, stirring.
Pour the hot dressing over the 2 lbs of cabbage mixture and onions and stir (It will look like there is not enough dressing for the amount of cabbage, but as the cabbage breaks down, you will have plenty).
Cover tightly.
Let sit on the counter for 2 hours (stirring occasionaly during the 2 hours while it marinates), then refrigerate. Dont skip the step of leaving it on the counter to marinate for a few hours because this is the secret that makes it so good.

Last edited by kadieroo81; 01-04-2010 at 12:46 AM..

Old 01-04-2010, 07:17 AM

507 posts, read 2,021,694 times
Overnight Coleslaw

12 cups shredded cabbage (1 medium head)
1 medium green pepper, chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, shredded
1 cup sugar

DRESSING:

2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup vegetable oil

In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients. Sprinkle with sugar; set aside.

In a saucepan, combine dressing ingredients; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; pour over vegetables, stirring to cover evenly. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Stir well before serving.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:48 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,899,898 times
Except for the sugar cole slaw is a nearly perfect dish, healthwise. Cabbage and carrots, shredded and uncooked maybe a bit of apple shredded into it, a nice tart vinegar dressing with poppy seeds......then we add sugar and blow it..........

I tried this the other night and it was REALLY good. Use Stevia (available at Wal-mart) at 50% of the sugar. If you use a half cup of sugar, then use a quarter cup of stevia with your vinegar dressing then adjust as you taste. Stevia is an herb and does not contain the calories or refined glucose of sugar. Its been used in the treatment of both diabetes and hypoglycemia.........

Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 AM

507 posts, read 2,021,694 times
You're right and I use it all the time, especially in my coleslaw dressing. This reminfds me to get more, I'm all out!

Old 01-07-2010, 07:31 AM

3,168 posts, read 4,326,482 times
I bet she used sugar, vinegar, and oil. You also stir in just a small amount of milk (sweet or butter) and some sour cream (or Greek yogurt) to get it to that creamy consistency.

I had mayo. For a long time I thought I hated cole slaw because it was always full of that nasty mayo. Try making it with the ingredients above.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM

36,588 posts, read 41,867,584 times
I love both creamy cole slaw, and the more vinegar-y version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes