Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 12:27 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times

Advertisements

I bought two packages of chicken thighs on sale a few weeks ago (don't worry, I froze them!), and after using one package to make BBQ chicken sandwiches, I realized I really don't like thighs! I much prefer boneless/skinless breasts.

Does anyone have a recipe that will "disguise" the thigh taste? I was thinking of boiling them whole to make a broth to use for soup.

I don't want to do anything in the crock pot--that's what taste will turn me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 01:47 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Ha, I was poised to tell you several crock pot recipes and then ... oh. No crock pot recipes!

Are these with or without the bone? Without, you could marinate them, throw them on the grill, and them chop them up for tacos. Maybe a chipotle or adobo sort of sauce? I love pollo asada, which I believe is made from thighs.

Thighs are kind of fatty for me, so I don't usually buy them with the bone. I like grilling the fat off.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,808,426 times
I think thighs make the best chicken cacciatore, but hubby doesn't care for tomato dishes. I usually grill them or bake them with Greek seasonings.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:09 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,420,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Ha, I was poised to tell you several crock pot recipes and then ... oh. No crock pot recipes!

Are these with or without the bone? Without, you could marinate them, throw them on the grill, and them chop them up for tacos. Maybe a chipotle or adobo sort of sauce? I love pollo asada, which I believe is made from thighs.

Thighs are kind of fatty for me, so I don't usually buy them with the bone. I like grilling the fat off.
Yes, they are bone-in, which is why I thought it would a good idea to boil them...

Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM

507 posts, read 2,295,989 times
I haven't personally tried this recipe yet, but everyone that has, says that it is really AWESOME! Recipe calls for boneless thighs, but do not think it will matter if yours are bone-in.

VANILLA BALSAMIC CHICKEN

½ cup fat free, less sodium chicken broth
½ cup balsamic vinegar
¼ cup chopped shallots
¼ cup packed brown sugar
¼ tsp grated orange rind
¼ cup fresh orange juice
1 (2 inch) piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
¾ tsp salt, divided
16 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
Cooking spray
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Orange rind strips (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 450°.

2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a small saucepan. Scrape seeds from vanilla bean, stir seeds into broth mixture, reserving the bean for another use. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer until reduced to ½ cup (about 20 minutes). Stir in ¼ tsp salt.

3. Arrange chicken in a single layer in the bottom of a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken evenly with remaining ½ tsp salt and pepper. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes.

4. Brush half of broth mixture over chicken; bake 5 minutes. Brush remaining broth mixture over chicken, bake 15 minutes or until a thermometer registers 180°. Garnish with orange rind, if desired. Yield: 8 servings (serving size 2 chicken thighs).

Last edited by Tnhoneypot; 01-14-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 02:45 PM

507 posts, read 2,295,989 times
Baked Ranch Chicken

8 medium to large chicken thighs
24 oz bottle of Ranch salad dressing
Seasoned breadcrumbs
2 large resealable plastic bags

Remove skin from all chicken pieces. Place 4 pieces of chicken in resealable plastic bag. Pour 12 oz of the dressing over chicken in bag. Repeat for other 4 pieces. Seal bags, turning repeatably to coat all chicken pieces well. Refrigerate both bags at least 1 hour to marinate.

Preheat oven to 400°F. Pour breadcrumbs into a large baggie and add 2 chicken pieces at a time. Shake well to coat. Add more breadcrumbs as needed to coat all the chicken. Arrange on baking sheet. Sprinkle any remaining coating from baggie over chicken.
Bake 40 to 45 minutes.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:54 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
We had some grilled, just last night. We marinade ours in a sauce first, similar to Italian dressing, you could use anything similar to that. We add garlic, and Jane's Crazy Mixed up s & p, and maybe some paprika, too. You could also add any herbs/lemon juice/hot sauce etc. if you'd like, it's up to your personal taste.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:50 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
I like thighs because I like dark meat and cheap prices. But the last time I roasted about 6 of them (bone-in), it took almost a full hour and even after the temp registered 200 degrees, they still seemed awfully pink. My husband's portion even sprung a leak of blood all over his plate. I though he was going to be sick. I'm going to stick to boiling them from now on.

I usually do an adobo type sauce which also works well with pork.

It really depends on how many thighs you have, but I usually just do enough liquid to almost cover the thighs.

Combine soy sauce with white vinegar (1 part soy sauce to 2 parts vinegar). Pour over thighs in large stock pot. Add some peppercorns, bay leaves, ginger...whatever you'd like. Boil until the chicken begins to fall off the bone. Shred and serve with white rice and chopped scallions.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
I coat them with seasoned flour, then bake them for an hour at 375 - 400 on a cookie sheet lined with foil with a cooling rack on top. This lets the a lot of the fat drain off the chicken, rendering the meat less greasy, and gives you a beautifully crispy skin if you wish to indulge.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:36 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
I would probably find my favorite BBQ sauce and BBQ til crispy.

Or find a recipe with lots of strong flavored spices.

Do you like Olive Garden? Maybe this would work:

Olive Garden's San Marco
Recipe By :Olive Garden Restaurants
SAN MARCO SAUCE
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds skinless chicken thighs -- cut 1" cubes
2 large yellow onions -- diced
1 cup peeled, julienned carrots
1 tablespoon finely-chopped garlic
1 cup chicken broth
28 ounces canned Italian plum tomatoes -- with juice
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons Wondra flour
VEGETABLES
1 cup julienned green bell pepper
1 cup julienned red bell pepper
1 3/4 cups small broccoli florets
1 cup zucchini in halved 1/4" slices
1 cup yellow squash in halved 1/4" slices
3 tablespoons olive oil
PASTA
6 cups fettuccine -- cooked, drained
1 tablespoon olive oil

For the Sauce: Preheat a heavy non-aluminum Dutch oven or similar 6-quart pot over moderate-high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is fragrant, add the chicken meat pieces and sauté, turning frequently for 5 or 6 minutes until lightly browned on all sides. Add the onions and carrots and sauté, stirring constantly, until the onions are translucent, about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté about 30 seconds. Do not allow the garlic to brown.

Immediately add the broth to the pot. Stir bits and pieces loose from the bottom of the pot. Add all additional sauce ingredients, lower the heat to a gently simmer and cover the pot. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the chicken meat pieces are tender, but not soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.

As the sauce is finishing cooking, add 3 tablespoons oil to a heavy skillet and sauté the bell peppers, squashes and broccoli over medium heat until just crisp-tender. Add the vegetables to the sauce when the chicken meat is tender, blend all together and turn off the heat. Adjust the salt, pepper and herb levels to taste.

Toss the cooked pasta with 1 tablespoon oil to prevent sticking and add to the sauce; blend chicken, vegetables and sauce thoroughly and serve along with Parmesan cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes