Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 10:28 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times

Advertisements

After I read one of Tnhoneypot's recipes that I used to make, I thought of something else that I haven't made in a while and has always been a favorite. There are actually versions with real measurements and amounts (LOL) but I'm giving the "word of mouth" recipe here.

Hot Chicken Salad

Cooked, diced chicken breast or tenders (I like small dice)
As much diced celery as you like (again, I like small dice)
About a teaspoon of lemon juice (you can check the seasoning before you bake the dish)
Two or three tablespoons of mayonnaise (depends on what size you are making and how moist you like chicken salad, I don't like dishes "swimming" in mayonnaise)
Salt and pepper to taste
Crumbled potato chips and shredded cheddar cheese

Cook the chicken and dice. Dice the celery. Combine chicken, celery, lemon juice, mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Check for seasonings. Place mixture in baking dish. Combine potato chips and cheese and top the chicken mixture with them. Bake at 350 just until cheese melts and chicken is heated through and through. I serve this with a baked potato. The first time I had this was in a restaurant about 23 years ago and they had a baked potato as the side. Everyone has always loved this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 03:47 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Sounds interesting. Don't have chips but have Ritz crackers.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 PM

Just finished eating this and it was so - o - o good! I don't know why I quit making it -- just forgot, I guess. I don't think the crackers would work well here (although I love Ritz crackers). It's the combination of the creamy salad and crunchy topping that makes this unique. There's also a variation where you add water chestnuts to the chicken mixture.

Now, the Tnhoneypot recipe I used to make (and had yesteray -- yummy!) uses Ritz crackers and it is so good. It has cooked chicken, sour cream, a can of cream of chicken soup and something else. The crackers make the topping. Those buttery crackers taste good with the chicken! Her version serves it on rice and the version that went around my way had it on noodles. I was thinking back and the first friend that gave me the recipe didn't serve it on top of anything. Search Tnhoneypot and ifyou still can't find it I'll give you the recipe -- I wrote it down when I was searching the other night.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,767 times
Yum. I'm going to try this. Hubby would love it and the leftovers would be great on a sandwich or with crackers. Thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 PM

You are so welcome! I am dragging out some more "oldie goldies" I haven't made in awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes