Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:28 PM

271 posts, read 785,253 times

Advertisements

Ok they are in the oven right now! I'll let you know how they turn out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 09:57 PM

OMG they tasted so freakin' good!!! They had a totally different texture compared to steaming them and I really really loved them! YUM! Thanks for sharing...will definitely make these again! I might have to try it with asparagus too.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:48 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,023,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannasmomma View Post
OMG they tasted so freakin' good!!! They had a totally different texture compared to steaming them and I really really loved them! YUM! Thanks for sharing...will definitely make these again! I might have to try it with asparagus too.
YAY!!!!

I'm so happy that you liked them so much, especially since you eat brussels sprouts so often.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:52 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,896,837 times
I love brussel sprouts, but my family won't eat them. Once several years ago someone did bring a brussel sprouts casserole to a family dinner, and it was so good that even dh liked them----but the person gave me the wrong recipe when I asked for it. The original recipe she made had brussel sprouts, cream or half & half, bacon, and cheese in it, something like gruyere. I've never been able to find a similar recipe. I go to TJ's a lot, I might buy a big stalk and try out this recipe just for myself, TFS D&J.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I love brussel sprouts, but my family won't eat them. Once several years ago someone did bring a brussel sprouts casserole to a family dinner, and it was so good that even dh liked them----but the person gave me the wrong recipe when I asked for it. The original recipe she made had brussel sprouts, cream or half & half, bacon, and cheese in it, something like gruyere. I've never been able to find a similar recipe. I go to TJ's a lot, I might buy a big stalk and try out this recipe just for myself, TFS D&J.
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if your family actually likes them this way (roasted with the olive oil and salt, I mean). There's a sweetness to them, and a balsamic-like tanginess. It's all good. Anyway, if they won't eat them, more for you! Enjoy!

Old 01-26-2010, 01:27 PM

I'm curious if it takes out more nutrients by baking them vs steaming them.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The Trader Joe's where I shop has started to sell entire stalks of sprouts still attached for $2.99. Best deal in town - here's a photo for those who've never seen a stalk of sprouts.

http://4.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kuf...8flyo1_500.jpg

I have a great recipe for sliced sprouts with prosciutto and shallots somewhere - if I find it I'll post it!
I'm so excited! I found those stalks at my local grocery store this weekend. I swear that they'd never had them there before -- I would definitely have bought one if they had. It was $3.99 for the stalk, which is a great deal because I used to buy the sprouts in a little "bucket" (maybe it held 12-14 heads) for $2.99. The stalk has a whole bunch more than 12-14!!! Soooo happy!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 AM

507 posts, read 2,296,653 times
I love them, and have grown them in our garden before. I may have to plant them again this summer! This is a great recipe too....ENJOY!

[SIZE=6]Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Pecans:
[/SIZE]
Makes 6 servings. Prep Time: 25 minutes

Ingredients:
1 1/2 lb fresh brussels sprouts
4 slice bacon
1 tsp all-purpose flour
1 tbs brown sugar
1 tbs water
1 tbs cider vinegar
1 tsp Dijon style mustard
1/4 c chopped pecans

Directions:
1. Wash and trim Brussels sprouts. With tip of knife, cut an X in base of each. Place in large saucepan; add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 8 to 10 minutes or until tender.

2. Meanwhile, in medium skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons bacon drippings in skillet; cool. Add flour to cooled drippings; cook and stir over medium-low heat until bubbly. Remove from heat.

3. In small bowl, combine brown sugar, water, vinegar and mustard; mix well. Gradually stir into bacon drippings mixture.

4. Drain Brussels sprouts; place in serving bowl. Add hot bacon dressing mixture; toss gently. Crumble bacon over Brussels sprouts. Sprinkle with pecans.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:00 AM

507 posts, read 2,296,653 times
here's another outstanding recipe...

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts, Apples and Bacon

Makes 4 servings

1 pound (about 3 ½ cups) brussels sprouts
Kosher salt
4 ounces thick bacon slices (4 to 5 slices), cut crosswise
into ½-inch pieces
1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large Golden Delicious apples, peeled, halved, cored and
cut into 1-inch cubes
1 ½ tablespoons chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley

Cut off and discard the bases from the brussels sprouts, then halve the sprouts. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add sprouts and 2 teaspoons salt. Cook until the sprouts are tender but not mushy when pieced with a small, sharp knife, 8 – 10 minutes or longer. (Cooking time can vary depending on the size of the brussels sprouts.) Drain brussels sprouts in a colander, then place them (still in the colander) under cold running water until they are completely cool. Pat dry and set aside. (Brussels sprouts can be prepared 6 hours ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.)

Sauté bacon in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat until browned and crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels. Pour off and discard all but 2 teaspoons of the drippings in the pan. Return the pan to medium heat and add butter. When hot, add the apples and cook, turning often, until softened and just lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked brussels sprouts and the bacon to the skillet. Stir and cook until these ingredients are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Taste mixture and season with salt as needed.

Mound vegetables in a serving bowl and sprinkle with parsley. Serve hot.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:02 AM

Thanks for those, Tnhoneypot.

The good news is that husband won't eat bacon (no red meat, actually) so MORE FOR ME!

(Please don't tell me to omit the bacon or substitute chicken sausage; that will defeat the purpose of "MORE FOR ME!" )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes