U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2010, 12:01 PM

12,210 posts, read 11,573,576 times
Default 24-Hour Omelet

24-Hour Omelet

This is a really good recipe for breakfast or brunch where you, as the host, aren’t locked in the kitchen while everyone else is having fun. The whole thing gets prepped the day before (it has to) and you only need to stick it in the oven the day of … and then remove and serve.

What you need:
1 challah (egg bread) – square is easier, if you can find one
12 eggs
3/4 lbs. grated cheddar cheese
3/4 lbs. grated swiss cheese
8 oz. cream cheese, cut in 1/2-inch cubes)
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. scallion/green onion (more if you want)
2 drops Tabasco sauce
Dash of paprika
3-4 drops of Worcestershire sauce
Fresh dill to taste

What to do:
Take the crust off the bread and tear the bread into chunks
Place bread chunks into greased 9 x 13 pan (if you have a deep one, you’ll want to use that so that you have room to stir)
Sprinkle with grated cheeses (yes, all of it)
In a bowl, beat eggs and all other ingredients (EXCEPT for the cream cheese – that’s tomorrow!)
Pour egg mixture over bread and cheese
Mix it all up
Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight

The next day:
Add cream cheese cubes by poking them into the omelet here and there – leave some close to the top
Bake covered (with the foil) at 325 degrees for an hour until egg mixture is set.
Uncover for an additional 10 or so minutes of baking so that it browns a bit.

Serve. You can serve this alone (it’s rich!) or with sour cream (oh my!) or with fruit or with sour cream AND fruit or…
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 12:54 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,786,744 times
Thank you so much! This sounds absolutely delicious and is going into my recipe file immediately. I love dishes you can prep ahead of time and am hungry just reading about this one. I'm thinking that this will fit the bill perfectly for one of my clubs. There are a lot of diabetics and many don't eat sausage. How long does it hold up after you take it out of the oven? I take dishes to other places a good bit but the locations are all close to my house. Thanks again for sharing this recipe with the forum.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Thank you so much! This sounds absolutely delicious and is going into my recipe file immediately. I love dishes you can prep ahead of time and am hungry just reading about this one. I'm thinking that this will fit the bill perfectly for one of my clubs. There are a lot of diabetics and many don't eat sausage. How long does it hold up after you take it out of the oven? I take dishes to other places a good bit but the locations are all close to my house. Thanks again for sharing this recipe with the forum.
Oh good! I'm happy that you're going to try it.

I know that it's sat on my aunt's table for an hour or more -- and I've picked at it -- after it's been out of the oven. Maybe you can pop it in the other person's oven for a couple of minutes once you get there? Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it -- it's pretty hardy.

As for leftovers, pop 'em in the fridge and then back in the oven the next day until it gets warm again. Cover it this time. It's just as good.

Old 01-26-2010, 01:57 PM

3,647 posts, read 2,786,744 times
The timing is perfect. By the way, I love "picking" at the food! I also love the "reheat" factor. I have one breakfast casserole recipe that's delicious but I rarely make it because it's only pretty right when you take it out of the oven. Thanks again.

Old 01-26-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
The timing is perfect. By the way, I love "picking" at the food! I also love the "reheat" factor. I have one breakfast casserole recipe that's delicious but I rarely make it because it's only pretty right when you take it out of the oven. Thanks again.
I think everything tastes BETTER when it's picked at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes