Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:04 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
Thank you! Didn't i see you say earlier you omit the can of cream chicken. Or were you just out of it? I love the recipe just as it is, but everyone's tastes are different and it's fun to experiment.

On the subject of chicken though not a casserole.. I've been coating breasts with baking soda. Oops first I de-bone them if not boneless and pound them flat. Maybe an inch thick. I let them sit at least 30 minutes. Then rinse them off and apply a chicken rub liberally. Let sit in a bag or wrapped for a little while. Throw them in a hot fry pan with a little olive oil. Brown both sides cook with cover on til nearly done. Sprinkle lemon juice liberally over them ...finish cooking. Great stuff!
I love that baking soda trick!!! Or is it baking powder? I never remember until I pull out the box from my pantry.

For this casserole, I just bake three or so breasts that are liberally sprinkled with garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Yum, yum. Then I chop them up into bite-size pieces.

As for the King Ranch Yumminess soup snafu... one time, when I was in the grocery store, I decided I wanted to make the casserole, but I didn't have the list of ingredients on me, so I did it from memory. I don't remember which soup I messed up with (the cream of chicken or the cream of mushroom), but I didn't get one of them -- I got two cans of the same soup (either chicken or mushroom). It came out just as good. I definitely used two tins of soup, though.

The only reason that I changed it is that I love olives (so I added them), my husband loved the onions after I made it the first time (so I put more in now), and we both love cheese, so I go heavy on that. The extra broth is just because I use a lot of tortillas (more than a dozen -- maybe 16?), so I need some more moisture.

It's in the oven now. In the 9 x 13 Pyrex, it's bubbling over the top. I made a BIG one!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:07 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,818,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I love that baking soda trick!!! Or is it baking powder? I never remember until I pull out the box from my pantry.

For this casserole, I just bake three or so breasts that are liberally sprinkled with garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Yum, yum. Then I chop them up into bite-size pieces.

As for the King Ranch Yumminess soup snafu... one time, when I was in the grocery store, I decided I wanted to make the casserole, but I didn't have the list of ingredients on me, so I did it from memory. I don't remember which soup I messed up with (the cream of chicken or the cream of mushroom), but I didn't get one of them -- I got two cans of the same soup (either chicken or mushroom). It came out just as good. I definitely used two tins of soup, though.

The only reason that I changed it is that I love olives (so I added them), my husband loved the onions after I made it the first time (so I put more in now), and we both love cheese, so I go heavy on that. The extra broth is just because I use a lot of tortillas (more than a dozen -- maybe 16?), so I need some more moisture.

It's in the oven now. In the 9 x 13 Pyrex, it's bubbling over the top. I made a BIG one!
Baking soda... unless I've been wrong! Campbell's cream soups are great in so many recipes. Yeah you're right its a good recipe to play with. Enjoy and thanks for the info.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:17 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,025,722 times
Quote:
Baking soda... unless I've been wrong! Campbell's cream soups are great in so many recipes. Yeah you're right its a good recipe to play with. Enjoy and thanks for the info.
Thank YOU for posting the recipe in the first place!

Seriously, it's been a go-to recipe in my house. We always get tired of whatever we have frequently, but my husband gets super-excited when he hears that I'm gearing up to make this again.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:48 AM

112 posts, read 365,998 times
Quote:
"King Ranch Casserole" AKA...Chicken Enchilada Casserole.
Ingredients:
made this over the weekend. Added some garbonzo beans, black olives and celery. Was a big hit. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerale View Post
made this over the weekend. Added some garbonzo beans, black olives and celery. Was a big hit. Thanks.
You're very welcome and I'm happy it was well received! Thanks for your list of added ingredients.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:31 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Kind of similar to this is a recipe my mom used to make and I haven't had in 20 years, but my sister and her family love it. Below is just copied from an email my sister sent me recently:

Chicken and broccoli – I use 2 large chicken breasts, cooked and chopped. 2 cans cream of chicken soup, about 2/3 can of mayonnaise and a bag of chopped broccoli (thawed – if you throw it in wet in makes the casserole too runny). Mix it together, top with shredded cheese and pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until bubbly. I serve it over rice.

I don't know why I haven't made this because I remember loving it too. I definitely plan to make this soon.
I make this too and my family LOVES it. I add kellogs corn flakes of top to give it a little crunchiness. Serve with white rice, yummm.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:31 AM

Having chicken a la king last night made me wish for King ranch casserole!

Old 11-05-2013, 02:36 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times
I make the chicken casserole that's on the back of the stove top stuffing. It has chicken, cream of chicken soup, milk, cheddar cheese and of course stove top as the topping. It's easy and a big hit.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:56 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
This probably isn't an original recipe but I haven't read the entire thread. I like it cause it uses minimal pots and pans and cause it makes a really big batch. As written it fed 5 of us with all going back for seconds and then 4 of us with 3 going back for seconds. The other one without seconds (that would be me) was very disappointed to see the dish scraped clean.
Chicken, broccoli, rice, cheese casserole
chicken,
broccoli-fresh is always best
cooked rice-
onion, celery, garlic, (I start most everything with this trio)
mushrooms
2 cans of any cream soup
1 cup of milk
1/2 stick of melted butter
bunch of cheese-any combination you have on hand
s&p to taste

In one pan I steam the broccoli and then set it in my buttered casserole dish- the bigger the better

in same pan I sautee onion, garlic and celery in oil- at very end I throw in fresh mushrooms(they don't take as long as other veggies) and put them in casserole pan when cooked

In the mean time I have 3 meaty boneless, skinless chicken breast cooking in water to which I added 2 chicken bouillon cubes

When they are done( 15-20 minutes?) I put them on the cutting board to cook and then I pour off all but 2 Cups of the resulting broth(it will be golden from the bouillon) and cook a cup of rice in this broth which gives the rice so much flavor and a pretty color- I save the remaining broth for another recipe

Then I add 2 cans of any cream soup(I used mushroom and chicken combined), about 1 cup or even one soup can of milk and 1/2 stick of melted butter all into the casserole

Now I cut the chicken up in bite sized pieces -or shred for young children- and put it in the casserole and mix it all up

next the rice is ready for mixing into the casserole

then comes all the cheese- I use what is on hand about 1 cup or more-does it really matter?

This is all mixed up-usually I mix in each ingredient as it is put in the casserole

cooked for about 30 minutes or untill bubbly COVERED at 350-if it's too runny for your taste after about 20 minutes you can uncover it for last 10 minutes

I've made this with carrots added to saute veggies for color- without celery or mushrooms or bouillon if I didn't have them or reduce soup, chicken etc for smaller casserole

Because of the salt in the soup and the bouillon I usually don't add any salt but a bit of pepper or thyme when cooking the chicken

It's also easier to use rotisserie chicken, or just 1 meaty breast for a smaller casserole
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes