Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 01:24 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm a purist when it comes to tortillas.

Corn are for enchiladas. If you use flour, you're making burritos
Totally agree, it's not enchiladas without corn tortillas. It may resemble them, but the taste of corn tortillas makes the dish period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 01:39 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,300 times
I doubt they give the full recipe.

Usually when I find a decent recipe I use that recipe as a base and add to it. What you could do is find a good chili recipe and use it as the sauce for your enchiladas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
I think i reduced the recipe and it seemed like a lot of water. What I've always made was sort of a combo chili and sauce. Chili powder, cumin, garlic ,onion, tomato sauce etc... Los Barrios is certainly an outstanding restaurant. I saw the "Throw Down" on puff tacos with Bobby Flay. You always gotta wonder if these places share their full recipes with everyone. I've always been puzzled when out ordering enchiladas. The wife always asks about the cheese/beef choice???? Think we both want cheese only inside the enchiladas. She wants there to be chili with meat on top. I don't care if there's meat in it, long as it tastes good. I may have posted one of my enchilada sauce recipes (sort of) on here.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:08 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,798,510 times
From Mexican Family Cooking, by Aida Gabilondo

Salsa de Chile Colorado
10 to 12 New Mexico mild dry red chiles
4 cups cold water
4 garlic cloves
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 tablespoons all purpose flour
Salt
1 tablespoon instant chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
Stem and seed the chiles Wash. Boil in medium-sized saucepan in 1 quart hot water, stirring often. Be sure to push the chiles deep into the water, as they tend to rise. Cook, covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes. Allow to cool in water they were cooked in.
Drain chiles and puree in blender, 3 or 4 at a time, each batch with 1 cup
cold water and 1 clove garlic. Strain into bowl. (Do the puréeing in four
batches in order not to clog the blender blades.)
When all the chiles have been puréed and strained, heat 4 tablespoons oil
in large skillet or dutch oven and brown the flour in the oil to a light golden
color for a mild-tasting roux. Add the strained red chile mixture all at once and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick and tasty. Add salt and chicken bouillon granules and boil 2 minutes. Correct seasoning. Now add the vinegar and sugar and stir well. Remove from heat. This sauce is now ready for enchiladas or to blend in with cooked meat for a tasty tamale filling. Freezes beautifully. One cup is enough for 6 enchiladas.

She says traditionally, the dried chiles would be stemmed, seeded and sauteed in pork fat before boiling, but that you can skip the sauteeing if you wish. They must, however, be boiled.

Also, if you find the sauce is too pungeant for you, use a trick of her grandmother's. Dissolve 1 tsp sugar with 1 tsp vinegar, then blend it into 2 tbl cold water. Stir this into the simmering sauce.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM

98 posts, read 197,642 times
I use this recipe : 1lb ground beef, 3TBSP oil, 2TBSP flour,1-2 TBSP flour, 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt, oil for frying, 12 corn tortillas, 1 LB grated cheddar or Longhorn cheese, 1 finely chopped onion, a couple to few chopped jalapenos, and a pinch of cinnamon. To make: Brown the beef, onion and jalapeno. Drain fat. In a different skillet combine oil and flour and cook til flour browns, stirring well. Then mix chili powder into water, til combined. Mix this into the browned flour/oil mixture slowly. I use a whisk, but a fork works okay. Add salt and cinnamon, and stirring well over a med-low heat until it starts to thicken. Then drop heat to low and simmer, uncovered about 5 to 10 minutes. Now to assemble: Put a bit of the sauce in a 13x9 pan, I use glass pyrex, then take some oil for frying, over medium heat. Just a bit, then lightly heat the tortillas, one at a time, both sides, and drain on paper towel. Put about 2-3 TBSP meat mixture, some grated cheese, on warmed tortillas, and roll up and place seam side down in the prepared pan. When all assembled, pour remaining sauce all over to cover, sprinkle with more cheese, some minced onion and black olives, if desired, and bake, uncovered about 15-20 minutes until warmed through and cheese is melted. If you like add some jalapeno slices on top, and a dollop of sour cream and/or guacamole, as well. HINT: Do not add too much cinnamon, though just a good pinch. Really adds a good authentic flavor.Enjoy & muy bueno!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 12:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
As far as I know, authentic Mexican red enchilada sauce does not contain any flour or tomatoes. The redness comes from the ancho chiles.

For anyone in an American kitchen looking for ways to prepare Mexican dishes, I would recommend Rick Bayless. Here's a link to his recipe for red enchilada sauce with a good preface:

Sometime foodie: Mexican Series#4 Red Enchilada Sauce

Old 02-27-2010, 07:00 PM

33 posts, read 89,462 times
Thank you all!!

Old 02-27-2010, 09:07 PM

98 posts, read 197,642 times
OOPS!!! The 1-2 TBSP flour, in the recipe was supposed to be 1-2 TBSP chili powder! Sorry, I goofed... Anyhooo... Still is a pretty easy, good recipe...

Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshire View Post
I use this recipe : 1lb ground beef, 3TBSP oil, 2TBSP flour,1-2 TBSP flour, 2 cups water, 1/2 tsp salt, oil for frying, 12 corn tortillas, 1 LB grated cheddar or Longhorn cheese, 1 finely chopped onion, a couple to few chopped jalapenos, and a pinch of cinnamon...
A long time ago I made my own enchilada sauce and used ancho or California chilis, I think. The result was good, but not spectacular considering the extra effort of roasting the chilis and blending them, then cooking the sauce down, etc. But what I remember was that cinnamon, which I probably used too much of. I don't hassle it anymore, though I'm sure I'll try it from scratch again someday. Still, one quickie trick I've tried, if you really can't make the sauce from scratch, is using canned enchilada sauce simmered til it thickens a bit, adding just a little pinch of cinnamon. It lends a certain depth to the flavor along with the concentration, and I suppose the bit of caramelization that cooking lends. Something more interesting in flavor than the straight canned.

Old 02-28-2010, 07:26 PM

507 posts, read 2,295,989 times
Try these out from this site, they look absolutely delicious! Beef Enchilada Recipe

I'm going to try my hand at homemade tamales one of these days from this site!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:12 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Corn tortillas only for enchiladas!

I used this recipe last time i made enchiladas. I usually make my own and generally it's pretty good. My only trouble is I'm torn as to whether I'm making a sauce or chili. This recipe (Los Barrio's)is very bland and requires the flavor of the cheese and tortillas and possibly chili to complete. But maybe it was the secret.. tasted alone doesn't seem right. BtW, you'll never brown two fulls cups flour in 1 cup veg oil. I couldn't anyhow. It is a good basic recipe I suppose. I've been happier with some of my own results but never measure and never the same twice.
The Los barios recipe is the traditional way to make enchilada gravy...the only thing I dont agree with is the amount of spice for that large amount of flour and oil. That is for restuarant use not the home cook. the amound of garlic and cumin used is good for a pan of gravy for 12-15 enchis, but not 2 cups flour.

for a 12 enchi order, I use 1/4 cup corn oil(corn tortillas) and 1/4 flour...you want a loose paste(roux is butter and flour) Cook the flour but dont brown it...I add a tablespoon each of salt, pepper, red pepper flake, cumin powder, garlic powder, onion powder...and 3 tablespns of gebhardts chili powder. add liquid to make a loose gravy. adjust for spices and heat.

Gravy should be looser that table gravy...

I make mine quick...restaurant style. I dip the tortilla in the gravy to soften and heat, then place on a plate fill with longhorn cheese or beef filling, roll. I make three to an order, top with more gravy and cheese and zap in the microwave for a minute and a half.

Condolances to the Barrios Family for the tragic loss of your Mom...Que Dios te acompana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes