U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times

Advertisements

AKgirlinCA asked for this recipe over in the Dinner thread.

It's still cooking, so it's not TNT yet ...

Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce
3 pounds skinless chicken thighs (I used boneless)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-1/2 Tablespoons curry powder (I used a little more)
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
Guar gum or xanthan or arrowroot or cornstarch for thickening

1) Chicken goes in crock pot; onion and garlic over it.
2) Mix together the curry powder, coconut milk, and bouillon concentrate. Pour into crock pot.
3) Low for 6 hours.
4) Remove chicken. Thicken sauce with thickener of choice.

Ooohhhhhh. The smell. I hope it tastes half as good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,819,072 times
Thank you! Yum. I would like to make it using chicken breasts though. Let us know how it turned out

Old 02-22-2010, 12:21 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,285,363 times
I'm dying to hear how it tastes!

I have been craving curry lately, so I think I might make this sometime this week! It looks so easy!

Old 02-22-2010, 06:38 PM

Sigh.

It smelled better. I had such high hopes. Nothing was really wrong with it ... it just didn't float my boat. I like my curry spicier. Oh, and there was no coconut taste at all.

YMMV!

Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,819,072 times
How do you think it'd be with chicken breasts? I'd still try it....

Old 02-25-2010, 06:54 AM

3,367 posts, read 10,059,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Sigh.

It smelled better. I had such high hopes. Nothing was really wrong with it ... it just didn't float my boat. I like my curry spicier. Oh, and there was no coconut taste at all.

YMMV!
Coconut tends to lose its taste while cooking...

I either add the canned kind in at the end of cooking, or use the hard Creamed Coconut (comes in a block) which you grate in at the end of cooking. That tastes goooood

And if you like it spicy, have you tried using a Thai curry paste? They have more depth and usually more heat too!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:16 AM

16,683 posts, read 26,769,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Coconut tends to lose its taste while cooking...

I either add the canned kind in at the end of cooking, or use the hard Creamed Coconut (comes in a block) which you grate in at the end of cooking. That tastes goooood

And if you like it spicy, have you tried using a Thai curry paste? They have more depth and usually more heat too!
I ditto the suggestion of using Thai curry paste. I never taste the powder stuff at all, but the paste is much more intense... and packs a good punch if you use as much as I do.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post

Oh yes. Got the yellow, green and red

If someone gives me a can of coconut milk, I'd try this again with chicken breasts and double the curry. And I'd use the red

Old 08-08-2014, 06:57 AM

23 posts, read 19,671 times
Coconut curry was something that didn't actually appeal to me until a friend of mine made it for me. Ever since trying it I was left pleased and I urge you all to try it even if it is not something that really sounds like something you would enjoy.

This is a very nice and easy recipe to try out if you get the chance. I would say this is a filling meal but can go with a wide variety of dishes. It is sponsored by The Hundred Foot Journey, a great new film which I urge you to check out.

Here is the method:

Old 08-08-2014, 12:21 PM

24,671 posts, read 58,444,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
AKgirlinCA asked for this recipe over in the Dinner thread.

It's still cooking, so it's not TNT yet ...

Chicken in Coconut Curry Sauce
3 pounds skinless chicken thighs (I used boneless)
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-1/2 Tablespoons curry powder (I used a little more)
1 cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
Guar gum or xanthan or arrowroot or cornstarch for thickening

1) Chicken goes in crock pot; onion and garlic over it.
2) Mix together the curry powder, coconut milk, and bouillon concentrate. Pour into crock pot.
3) Low for 6 hours.
4) Remove chicken. Thicken sauce with thickener of choice.

Ooohhhhhh. The smell. I hope it tastes half as good!
I don't use crockpots but sauté onions and garlic in ghee in a big lidded pot. When just tender (not brown), remove and set aside, cut the chicken (boneless breasts and thighs) into big bite-sized pieces, dry them off and then quickly sauté until lightly browned in ghee. Add the onions and garlic, mix and add red Thai curry paste, briefly stir over low heat then add coconut milk to barely cover; add chicken bouillon (I use Minors chicken base), stir, bring to boil and then cover the pot and simmer on very low heat until chicken is tender. No thickening needed. Serve over Basmati rice with sides of raita and mango chutney. Yum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or