Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 03:28 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,051,529 times

Advertisements

Broccoli Salad

Green salad, because people often say they like mine

White chili

Spinach casserole

I confess, I don’t like potlucks very much. The food is often too starchy or sweet, and veggies are pretty thin on the ground. But I particpate in them from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 03:29 PM

129,024 posts, read 11,938,836 times
The last one we went to, I made a corn & black bean salad. I will make it again, as I have a bbq pot luck at the end of the month ( asked to bring a side dish)

Old 09-15-2018, 04:16 PM

16,226 posts, read 27,360,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Broccoli Salad

Green salad, because people often say they like mine

White chili

Spinach casserole

I confess, I don’t like potlucks very much. The food is often too starchy or sweet, and veggies are pretty thin on the ground. But I particpate in them from time to time.
I typically bring a protein because most everyone else is bringing sides or sweets. From my experience, at schools, offices, house parties - the veggie trays and salads are widely ignored and there are always plenty leftover. My crockpot meats dishes, homemade Mac and cheese, and chicken stews are usually gone before everyone has a chance to try.

My next potluck I'll be bringing atomic buffalo turds. We tried them out for the first time in my brother's smoker recently and they are my new favorite thing.

Old 09-17-2018, 01:24 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,702,924 times
Macaroni salad with shrimp. I have to label it for the folks who can't eat seafood.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:52 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,023,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I agree, vinegar while hot is the secret ingredient to great potato salad.
im sorry I have lived in the south many years and I have never ever heard of putting vinegar in potatoe salad that is positively revolting to me . Now a lot of people I know put dill seasoning in potatoe salad instead of sweet pickle because the dill brings up the flavor not down like pickle .

Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,321,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im sorry I have lived in the south many years and I have never ever heard of putting vinegar in potatoe salad that is positively revolting to me . Now a lot of people I know put dill seasoning in potatoe salad instead of sweet pickle because the dill brings up the flavor not down like pickle .
Really? I prefer potato salad dressed in a vinaigrette with chopped herbs to a mayo-based potato salad, which is way too rich to my taste.

My typical contribution involves a fruit salad, usually heavy on berries. We only seem to go to potlucks in the summer.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:33 AM

129,024 posts, read 11,938,836 times
I also prefer a vinaigrette potato salad over mayo, but I eat both. I detest dill. so hold the dill on my potatoes lol I would bring a protein if it was a general pot luck, but the ones we go to, are bbq meats (provided) & bring sides only.

Old 09-20-2018, 05:58 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,449,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You don't have to eat my potato salad, just as I don't want any of yours, which sounds very bland to me. Fresh dill in potato salad is wonderful though.

A lot of people make potato salad with mayo or miracle whip (ick) -- both of which have vinegar as an ingredient. Adding the vinegar while the potatoes are warm allows them to absorb the flavor instead of it just all sitting on the outside as a heavy coating. Some potato salads are way overdressed.

I had a Russian roommate in college, and her mother's potato salad had peas and pickles in it in a light white dressing (mayo with sour cream?) -- not what I'd make, but it was pretty good.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:33 PM

8,015 posts, read 10,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
My pan fried onion dip always has people asking for the recipe, conveniently "forget" to get back to people with the recipe.
But, can I have the recipe anyway? I'm serious, the onion dip sounds wonderful and I am sick of the Lipton Soup mix version.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:38 PM

8,015 posts, read 10,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Here’s my sausage queso-for-a-crowd recipe (yes it uses the dreaded velveeta):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/11365154-post85.html
Hey, dreaded, but good! My mother always puts down Velveeta, but I make a cheeseburger soup with it that is out-of-this-world and recently took her some and she just raved over it. Haven't told her yet that the rich "cheese" flavor is 1/2 a brick of Velveeta!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes