Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 06:43 PM

35,538 posts, read 17,868,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
But, can I have the recipe anyway? I'm serious, the onion dip sounds wonderful and I am sick of the Lipton Soup mix version.
It sounded good to me, too, although the poster posted that many years ago.

I did a google search for a recipe that sounded similar and came up with this - and it has 5 stars:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1946536

I'm making it for sure. ;D I think I might also serve cut vegetables along with chips for dipping, and maybe use olive oil instead of vegetable oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 06:45 PM

8,021 posts, read 10,607,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Broccoli Salad

I confess, I don’t like potlucks very much. The food is often too starchy or sweet, and veggies are pretty thin on the ground. But I particpate in them from time to time.
I agree with this, most of our potlucks are family reunions and work parties, where most everything is pretty starch, fat, and sugar laden. Too much "fried" stuff, too much cream cheese and sour cream laden stuff, too much cheese, a lot of cream of this and that casseroles, too many over-sweet desserts, oh, and those sugar filled sherbet based "punches" and sweet teas. Especially here in the South!

But, I look at "pot-lucks" like I do Christmas and Thanksgiving meals. They don't come around that often, so what the heck, go ahead and enjoy!

Old 09-20-2018, 06:50 PM

8,021 posts, read 10,607,242 times
In my excitement over all this great-sounding food, I forgot to post my own go-to potluck favorite.

I always volunteer to do the deviled eggs. I have four deviled egg covered Tupperware "totes", and I make four different variety of deviled eggs, depending on what I want to make. Sometimes traditional, or with jalapenos, with blue cheese, with green olives, there are so many ways to make them.

They are easy to make, inexpensive, and I NEVER bring any home, they are always eaten up, and that is the best thing about them.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:53 PM

88,413 posts, read 84,464,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im sorry I have lived in the south many years and I have never ever heard of putting vinegar in potatoe salad that is positively revolting to me . Now a lot of people I know put dill seasoning in potatoe salad instead of sweet pickle because the dill brings up the flavor not down like pickle .
You find vinegar in potato salad revolting? I thought that was one basic ingredient everyone put in potato salad at some point. It's just better when you add it to the hot potatoes.

I wouldn't care for dill in potato salad, though I could see where some people might think that was appropriate. But pickles? I like pickles, but I would not eat them in potato salad.

That probably is a southern thing. I stopped in North Carolina once and picked up a tuna sandwich, and it was inedible because there was chopped up pickle in it. If you're going to do something like that, warn people. Most people don't expect pickle in their tuna salad.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:00 PM

35,538 posts, read 17,868,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
In my excitement over all this great-sounding food, I forgot to post my own go-to potluck favorite.

I always volunteer to do the deviled eggs. I have four deviled egg covered Tupperware "totes", and I make four different variety of deviled eggs, depending on what I want to make. Sometimes traditional, or with jalapenos, with blue cheese, with green olives, there are so many ways to make them.

They are easy to make, inexpensive, and I NEVER bring any home, they are always eaten up, and that is the best thing about them.
I had an aunt who did this. She would say "I'll bring the deviled eggs!" and of course, everyone else was glad for that because most everyone likes deviled eggs, but they don't want to make them at home because . . . well, we all know why. ;D

I agree they're delicious.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:36 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,542,687 times
being a salad person and I have probably said this before, I usually do bring a salad, but what kind? That can vary from time to time depending on the crowd and the season. I do like deviled eggs as well. As for vinegar in potato, I do have to say, I have never heard of it. I use a mixture of mayo and sour cream, with a little mustard and some seasoning salt.

For those who say, they do not care for pot lucks, I can understand but they are still a great way to serve a lot of people. My biggest complaint is not too much starch, etc. I can control what I put on my plate. It is the foods running together so you don't really get a good taste of any one dish. I can always find foods that are filling without being overly filled with carbs.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:57 AM

61,526 posts, read 86,710,422 times
A big bowl of mixed salad: greens, spinach, tomatoes, scallions, radishes, English cucumber, colorful bell pepper, avocado, (feta cheese cubes on the side - it doesn't compliment every dish).
People usually like to have something raw and fresh with the heavy potluck dishes.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:17 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,040,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
You don't have to eat my potato salad, just as I don't want any of yours, which sounds very bland to me. Fresh dill in potato salad is wonderful though.

A lot of people make potato salad with mayo or miracle whip (ick) -- both of which have vinegar as an ingredient. Adding the vinegar while the potatoes are warm allows them to absorb the flavor instead of it just all sitting on the outside as a heavy coating. Some potato salads are way overdressed.

I had a Russian roommate in college, and her mother's potato salad had peas and pickles in it in a light white dressing (mayo with sour cream?) -- not what I'd make, but it was pretty good.

hey thanks for the Russian girls version I might try that since most of mine likes peas and I will use the mayo sour cream thing . thank you and no offense on the potatoe salad but I just have never heard of vinegar being used for potatoe salad .

Old 09-21-2018, 06:22 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,040,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You find vinegar in potato salad revolting? I thought that was one basic ingredient everyone put in potato salad at some point. It's just better when you add it to the hot potatoes.

I wouldn't care for dill in potato salad, though I could see where some people might think that was appropriate. But pickles? I like pickles, but I would not eat them in potato salad.

That probably is a southern thing. I stopped in North Carolina once and picked up a tuna sandwich, and it was inedible because there was chopped up pickle in it. If you're going to do something like that, warn people. Most people don't expect pickle in their tuna salad.

yes I do warn folks and usually label thing I bring to pot lucks just in case . But pickles in tuna is a southern thing . You are correct . I have always made my tuna with pickles and mayo and hard boiled egg as well now I understand that might sound revolting to some and yes I do warn people as stated . No vinegar in tater salad for me thanks . I have never had it that way . I was always told dill brings the flavor up in potatoe salad and pickle brings it down .

Old 09-21-2018, 06:46 AM

32,595 posts, read 47,830,929 times
No vinegar in potato salad? There are some of you who have never heard of German potato salad. German potato salad is always a hit at potlucks.

There is a French version made with an oil and vinegar dressing that is delicious.

Pickles in tuna salad is not just a southern thing. If I am making tuna salad, it contains sweet gherkins, green onion, celery, and hard boiled egg, added to the tuna and mayo. Or, sometimes, it is just tuna and mayo, depending on my mood. A bit off topic because my opinion is that tuna salad is exceptionally unsuited to potlucks, unless you delight in making people ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes