U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:16 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,706,166 times

Advertisements

I always make my own dishes from scratch too, nothing pre-made, and nothing "semi-homemade". I like to bring some kind of potato or veggie dish, as potlucks around here usually have far too many pasta dishes. A few weeks ago I brought a broccoli and cheese casserole, that went over so well I didn't get a single bite. Sometimes I'll bring an appetizer or dessert as well. It all depends on the potluck, I've learned that a lot of my friends tend to bring the same dishes each party, so I plan around that. My pan fried onion dip always has people asking for the recipe, as well as my chocolate-dark chocolate chip cookies. That recipe I came up with on my own, and always conveniently "forget" to get back to people with the recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 12:15 PM

13,309 posts, read 21,868,647 times
I usually end up bringing the warm and savory dish - entree - most of the time when there's a potluck around here everyone brings dessert/cookies/cakes/pies (don't even get me started about the folks who pick up a grocery-store pastry - the least they could do is go to a decent bakery if they don't want to invest the time to prepare something from scratch). Everybody loves the estofado de pollo with a side of rice that i have brought to potlucks. I've never had any leftovers as long as it was a savory dish instead of sweets.

Meatballs in a crockpot, pigs in blankets, puff pastry bites, basically nibble food is great for a potluck and makes serving it a breeze.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM

16,487 posts, read 21,015,724 times
I usually bring a cold pasta salad.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM

3,647 posts, read 4,745,751 times
I love potlucks. Over the years I've taken many things but my most requested items are probably squash casserole, macaroni salad, deviled eggs and sweet potato casserole.

There's nothing I don't like at potlucks -- everything's good! I also don't care if it's store bought or not. The fun to me is getting together. Sometimes the deli items people bring are ones that I never buy and it's great to try them.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 AM

36,949 posts, read 45,395,424 times
I am happy to see, and am likely to bring, a big bowl of cut up melon and berries, etc. In a sea of gloppy casseroles, it's like moisture in the desert.
Also, deviled eggs, homemade potato salad, chinese cole slaw.
I admit I love that gloppy cheese potato casserole made with hash browns, though.
Here's the elephant in the room for me...it depends upon who is in the group bringing food to the pot luck. Unless I know they have a clean kitchen, I'm careful of what I eat.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:26 AM

36,949 posts, read 45,395,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I usually end up bringing the warm and savory dish - entree - most of the time when there's a potluck around here everyone brings dessert/cookies/cakes/pies (don't even get me started about the folks who pick up a grocery-store pastry - the least they could do is go to a decent bakery if they don't want to invest the time to prepare something from scratch). Everybody loves the estofado de pollo with a side of rice that i have brought to potlucks. I've never had any leftovers as long as it was a savory dish instead of sweets.

Meatballs in a crockpot, pigs in blankets, puff pastry bites, basically nibble food is great for a potluck and makes serving it a breeze.
I know, right? Nothing says "I don't give a s**t about you" more than grocery store cookies.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,598,639 times
Main dish - Spaghetti Pie or lasagna
Appetizer - Corned beef, pickle and cream cheese roll-ups
Side dish - cheesecake with a pound cake & jello crust, topped with strawberries

I always get a request for one of those and so rarely get to bring anything else. Once I brought tuna fish finger sandwiches and those went over REALLY big. But then again, I also slapped ham and american cheese on white bread, smooshed them and cut them up with mini cookie cutters and was declared "the best chef EVER" by all the kids!

And I have NEVER had leftovers to bring home.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:55 AM

8,039 posts, read 3,956,620 times
If I bring dessert it is usually white chocolate cheesecake.
Oven fried hot wings
potato salad or corn salad
beer bread
In winter and fall I usually bring a crockpot of homemade chile (mine is very spicey)
In the spring or summer I will prepare a tray of fruit that is in season with a dipping sauce, or a cobb salad
I love pot luck because I get to try the receipes of other people.

Last edited by tookey; 02-23-2010 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: added to post

Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM

16,649 posts, read 26,625,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here's the elephant in the room for me...it depends upon who is in the group bringing food to the pot luck. Unless I know they have a clean kitchen, I'm careful of what I eat.
I feel that! This past Christmas, we got homemade cookies from someone. I've seen this woman's hands. I can only imagine what her countertops are like. My husband ate the cookies. Me? I didn't even smell them. I love cookies, but not THAT much.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM

13,309 posts, read 21,868,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I feel that! This past Christmas, we got homemade cookies from someone. I've seen this woman's hands. I can only imagine what her countertops are like. My husband ate the cookies. Me? I didn't even smell them. I love cookies, but not THAT much.
Ditto for me! We had an older lady here in the office (she's retired now, thankfully) who brought homemade cookies to work for the department. Little did anyone know, I had previously observed her exiting the ladies room after she finished her business and didn't bother to stop to run the water in the faucet to wash her hands before she went back to her desk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or