U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:19 AM

1,013 posts, read 1,151,743 times

Advertisements

I remember the first time I heard of chorizo - was 19 or 20 - stationed at Yokota AB, Japan - I wanted to make a mexican layered dip and found a recipe on the back of a can of beans I found at the Commissary and found the chorizo there - best dip I ever made once I mixed it with hamburger. Have hit or miss these days with it and some found too greasy. Recently found a good one and froze half of it for next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 10:49 AM

4,532 posts, read 5,431,256 times
You can also make a Mexican style pizza with it.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:11 AM

13,755 posts, read 18,640,029 times
I fry it up with onions and chopped green peppers and put it in my Spanish bean soup .yes garbanzo beans soup too . it taste really good I love making my own .

Old 12-22-2014, 11:38 AM

4,978 posts, read 4,493,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Which country is it from? There are huge differences on how is made, spices, heat and texture depending where is from.

If it's from Spain, dry cured with wine, frittatas with slices of chorizo and potatoes. Red beans and chorizo over rice. Shrimp sautéed with slices of Chorizo, pepper and onions.
I am not sure which country because I haven't bought it yet.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:26 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,841,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
After many, many years, I have found the chorizo that I remember from my childhood of Chorizo and eggs.

I have looked online and found some interesting recipes. Does anyone have a favorite recipe?
I misunderstood your post, I thought you found it. Hope it's good as you remember it if you find it.

Old 12-24-2014, 12:05 PM

7,628 posts, read 14,325,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
Bummer! I let the chorizo sit too long and it is expired and smells kind of funky. I will have to buy some more this coming week.

Wurzig--Migas is almost exactly what you make with the peppers and onions...just add some fried corn tortilla strips and cheese. Yum!
DO NOT EAT IT!!! Anything that smells "funky" should be tossed.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:10 PM

140 posts, read 105,137 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNIuPGVO9WQ

Here is a quick video of chorizo and eggs.

Most of these videos have people putting the whole link or package of chorizo with 2-3 eggs. IMO that is way to much chorizo.

Less is more for eggs.

I like cooking some chorizo and adding some cooked refried beans and using that in a flour tortilla taco.

If you have a left over baked potato...cook some chorizo and cube the cooked potato, add the diced potato to the pan combine and warm. Use that a side to eggs over easy...or tacos

Old 12-28-2014, 04:30 PM

39,200 posts, read 18,750,597 times
I discovered there are two types of Chorizo.....the Mexican and the Portuguese. I grew up with Portuguese Chorizo and its close cousin Linguica. Both of these sausages are fairly hard and dry like a salami. Either one can be crumbled by taking it out of the skin.....and both are excellent cooked with green bell pepper strips and then scrambled in some eggs and eaten on a hoagie roll.

Mexican chorizo is a soft wet sausage and I never got used to it when I was out in San Diego county.

Old 12-28-2014, 04:36 PM

6,488 posts, read 6,905,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Most people think of breakfast when you mention chorizo. I make this dish quite often and just love it.

Choriqueso.

Slice and bake (melt) your favorite mexican cheese in an oven safe dish. I use Chihuahua but you can use Monterrey Jack. You can also use shredded cheese. In a separate pan, fry up some Chorizo and add it to the top of the melted cheese.

I go one step further and add sauteed diced mushrooms and Poblano peppers.

Serve with warm tortillas or chips.
That looks so good!

Old 12-30-2014, 11:21 AM

3,477 posts, read 2,336,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I discovered there are two types of Chorizo.....the Mexican and the Portuguese. I grew up with Portuguese Chorizo and its close cousin Linguica. Both of these sausages are fairly hard and dry like a salami. Either one can be crumbled by taking it out of the skin.....and both are excellent cooked with green bell pepper strips and then scrambled in some eggs and eaten on a hoagie roll.

Mexican chorizo is a soft wet sausage and I never got used to it when I was out in San Diego county.
Spanish Chorizo is very similar to Portuguese. Both are dried and cured and they differ only in the spices used. The Mexican variety is fresh.

Chorizo is the Spanish word for sausage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes