U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 04:10 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,042,994 times

Advertisements

If we're talking dinner, then it would be garlic. Garlic is good for you. It doesn't add calories and if used in the right quantity it can bring flavor to whatever you are making so you can back off on all that salt.

Yeah...I have to go with garlic. I use a lot of other spices too, but if I could only use one...that's what I'd use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 07:28 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,903,945 times
Garlic, garlic, and more garlic. I guess that's why my DH calls me "garlic." I also make my own chili powder which I put in lots of things. My other faves are balsamic vinegar (the aged, thick, sweet kind), soy sauce, and cumin. Of course, I wouldn't put all those things together in the same dish! Almost everything I cook starts off with EVOO, garlic, onions, and mushrooms. Yum!

Old 06-09-2010, 07:36 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,164,690 times
Balsamic vinegar is one of the best ingredients one can have in the kitchen. Not only for salads, for sauces, marinades, even desserts.

I know many, many people who don't like mushrooms.
I respect that, and I am somehow picky myself, but honestly many dishes I love would be nothing without mushrooms, from beef stroganoff to pizza (only ingredient on it for me other than mozzarella).

Very few ingredients have the high ratio good for you/delicious as onions and garlic.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:13 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,970,805 times
Garlic
Five Spice
Cinnamon
Fines Herbes and Herbes de Provence
Most Herbs ( fresh and dried)
White wine
Cream
Shallots
Balsamic vinegar
Argan Oil
Soya sauce
Teriyaki sauce
Sesame Oil
Bouquet Garni
Various salts
Various Peppercorns
Lemon
Lemon Zest
Mustards ( I have quite a lot of different types)
Various Olive Oils
Walnut Oil
Walnut Vinegar
Truffle Oil
Truffle vinegar
Lemongrass
Paprika
Chili flakes ( for a little heat as I hate really hot food)
Walnuts
Fresh Parmesan
Olives

Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM

21,199 posts, read 20,903,945 times
Truffle vinegar? Oh oh oh oh! That's one I haven't tried! I'll have to find it!

I didn't like mushrooms when I was younger - specifcally starting from when I found out they were a fungus. But I came around - and now I'm kind of obsessed with them!

Old 06-10-2010, 01:49 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,207,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
If we're talking dinner, then it would be garlic. Garlic is good for you. It doesn't add calories and if used in the right quantity it can bring flavor to whatever you are making so you can back off on all that salt.

Yeah...I have to go with garlic. I use a lot of other spices too, but if I could only use one...that's what I'd use.

I think it depends on the meal you're cooking.

I can see meat grilled with garlic, salt and black pepper, that would work. However, if I was cooking red beans and rice, or a gumbo, or a soup I would as use onion, bell pepper, and celery. On the other hand, if I was cooking pepper steak I would only use onion and bell pepper.

Also, depending on what meal I'm cooking will determine how I cut the onions, bell pepper, celery, etc. If I'm cooking a delicate soup I want my seasoning and spices to blend in with knowing what they are.

But if I'm cooking pepper steak, I want my bell pepper to stand out, hardy and large chunks.

My go to mix for flour and corn meal is equal parts Kosher Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, and Cayenne Pepper. I'll take one pound of flour or corn meal and mix it with 1/4 cup of each and store it in the freezer for later use.

busta

P.S. Let me know what you're cooking and I'll tell ya what I use.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:42 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,702,474 times
I suppose the seasonings we use most regularly are garlic, onions, and Janes Krazy Mixed-Up Salt and Seasonings.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:29 PM

947 posts, read 2,109,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I have to admit it . It is good seasons dry italian salad dressing mix . use it straight from the envelope it comes in . I put it on all meats and all potatoes and salads etc ... no one ever knows they think it is something special I make lol !!!
When I make my homemade croutons for my Caesar salad, I sometimes pour a packet of this (along with freshly ground pepper) in melted butter, then toss the bread cubes in the mixture. Spread on a baking sheet and bake, turning once until browned.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:56 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,495,349 times
I use lots of herbs and spices. I even have an herb container garden, which is a lot of work in Southern Arizona where it's too hot for many herbs much of the year. (I move pots EVERY day.)

But when I have a bland dish and don't know what it needs, I always resort to Original Mrs. Dash and fresh lemon zest. It adds an inexplicable something that improves boring. I even made up a chicken dish with that as a main ingredient. If a dish REALLY needs to be kicked up a notch, Emeril's Bayou Blast (which you can make yourself -- his recipe is online) is my standard BAM (thanks for sharing, Emeril).

Old 10-24-2010, 02:33 PM

2,672 posts, read 6,235,125 times
Talking Mine is...

Paprika...seems to add something to anything it's added to. I always get a 'mmmm...what's that flavor?'...interesting, huh?

ps. I know...I just found this forum and I loves it...I'm a self taught cook...well...self taught after S/O bought me my first set of pots and pans
on our first Christmas 20 years ago...lolol...pretty basic cook actually but
I get no complaints.
tony
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes