Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 12:19 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times

Advertisements

Unforgiveness?

Wait? Isn't that the title of a Clint Eastwood movie? (without the ess? at the end)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:22 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,091,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
I used to be the type of person who always could forgive & forget instantly.

In recent years, I had a major (huge) incident happen that almost destroyed me.

I have yet to come to the place of forgiveness and wonder if I ever will. Anyone else feel the same way?

My girls dad did me really wrong..I learned to forgive him, but had him realize just because I forgive him doesnt mean I will ever be with him again.
You need to forgive for yourself, its not the same as forgetting it. But not allowing yourself to get hurt by that individual again.
I have the forgive but dont forget mentallity
Let your hurt forgive so you can let go of it..
Good luck

Old 06-09-2010, 12:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Unforgiveness is like drinking poison and expecting your enemy to die. The reality is that the unforgiveness can poison you.

I pray I'm never in a situation to have the inability to forgive, and I am so sorry for those of you that are.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,004,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Unforgiveness is like drinking poison and expecting your enemy to die. The reality is that the unforgiveness can poison you.

I pray I'm never in a situation to have the inability to forgive, and I am so sorry for those of you that are.
Excellent.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:30 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,305,849 times
Thumbs up Food For Thought

All the responses were/are good responses.

Thank you to everyone!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:21 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,335,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
All the responses were/are good responses.

Thank you to everyone!
Even the Clint Eastwood one?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:37 PM

396 posts, read 732,452 times
Despite how we're taught to approach it, forgiveness really isn't about the person who has wronged us. Forgiving them isn't about saying to THEM "I forgive you." And it certainly isn't about forgetting, or keeping someone in your life who you now have a reasonable expectation that they will be harmful or toxic to your life.

Forgiveness is something you practice for yourself. For your own peace of mind. For your own peace of spirit.

As long as we fail to forgive, we give the other person (and/or the event) more power over us than they deserve. In most cases where someone has done something that would even require forgiveness, they are not dwelling over the event. They are probably not feeling remorse, or even thinking about the event, or us, at all. They have usually moved on completely.

We're the ones suffering with it... and we will continue to suffer with it until we forgive.

I'm certainly not perfect at this, not by any stretch... but understanding that I am allowing them/the event to have power over me, helps me to let go of it and move on. Withholding my forgiveness doesn't hurt them at all, it doesn't even affect them... but it certainly impacts me, and I'd really rather not continue to let someone/something have a negative impact on my life long after the offending experience is past.

We forgive for our own good... not for theirs.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:47 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
I had to "forgive" in order to get on with my life! It really made a diffrence!

Old 06-10-2010, 02:34 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,813,292 times
I only forgive sometimes and it depends on what the offense was. What I find myself is getting irritated if a person were to apologize and expect me to simply forget it when all it goes is further infuriates me. I decide when to take someone's apology. If I don't like you then no matter how much you say sorry, it's still not good enough.
Off course, I have to be careful if it's family members or my SO.... and not let anger get into my system but I'm finding it harder to just forgive and forget as if nothing happened.
I used to be way more forgiving years ago... ain't happening now.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:53 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,874,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsy View Post
Forgiveness is something you practice for yourself. For your own peace of mind. For your own peace of spirit.
This is my very point about misconceptions. Just because I don't forgive someone doesn't mean I am not at peace. I'm not angry, I'm not dwelling on it... I've just decided "you're not worth forgiving" and moved on. People keep saying how forgiveness isn't easy so in my opinion, why would I waste effort on someone by trying to forgive them?

Quote:
As long as we fail to forgive, we give the other person (and/or the event) more power over us than they deserve.
I thought you said it wasn't about the other person?

Quote:
In most cases where someone has done something that would even require forgiveness, they are not dwelling over the event. They are probably not feeling remorse, or even thinking about the event, or us, at all. They have usually moved on completely.
Not necessarily. But again, you say it's not about the other person. And again, not forgiving someone doesn't mean you dwell on it or can't move on. And yet again, if the other person is not dwelling on it, why should I dwell on trying to forgive them?

Quote:
We're the ones suffering with it... and we will continue to suffer with it until we forgive.
Nope, I'm not suffering at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships