Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,546 times

Advertisements

So. I met this guy at the gym. We work out together a few days a week. After a month or so of being around each other and chumming it up, he got up the nerve to ask me out. Apparently, I'm the first woman he's dated in a few years, and he also has some past issues, which he's in therapy for. He was initially very nervous around me, to the point where some of our interactions were downright awkward. Then, we started to grow close. Right when things felt really good, he started to say: "I really like you, but I'm not sure about the relationship thing..." Then, I get a call telling me he can't do a relationship... but he wants to keep the door open for the future. And then, he decided he just wants to see me at the gym and interact with me there.

Obviously, I'm a bit hurt and feel whiplash. He is very friendly when we see each other and seems to be happy. I, on the other hand, really struggle to even look at him. I guess I want to know, what the hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,005,830 times
Me, I wouldn't care 'what the hell?'. I'd step aside and let that one pass. Next.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:23 AM

8,948 posts, read 20,372,776 times
From a 61 yr old happily married man who had plenty of relationship experience before getting married nine years ago......... go with what he wants (no relationship) and be nice to him when you see him. He doesn't want/is not ready for what you want......end of story!
Don't be like I was for way too many years, so desperate to have a relationship that I absolutely hated hearing the word "no"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicked out of the garden View Post
So. I met this guy at the gym. We work out together a few days a week. After a month or so of being around each other and chumming it up, he got up the nerve to ask me out. Apparently, I'm the first woman he's dated in a few years, and he also has some past issues, which he's in therapy for. He was initially very nervous around me, to the point where some of our interactions were downright awkward. Then, we started to grow close. Right when things felt really good, he started to say: "I really like you, but I'm not sure about the relationship thing..." Then, I get a call telling me he can't do a relationship... but he wants to keep the door open for the future. And then, he decided he just wants to see me at the gym and interact with me there.

Obviously, I'm a bit hurt and feel whiplash. He is very friendly when we see each other and seems to be happy. I, on the other hand, really struggle to even look at him. I guess I want to know, what the hell?

Old 06-10-2010, 10:29 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,296 times
He might need a gentle push...say YOU ask him out for a coffee and glass of wine..if you are really interested. So he might have some insecurities - don't we all? You failed to mention you are a stunning knock-out and he might be intimidated...anyway, he might just be a basket-case walking-wounded sorry-butted loser or he might be someone really great...take the lead and see what happens. All he can do is say "no".

Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,546 times
I am a knock-out! He is terribly insecure. And he is a basket case. I'm just trying to respect his wishes but it is damn hard. I'm not good at rollercoasters. But I also think I could try to be his friend.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM

Question.....why on earth would you WANT this guy as you describe him below (in red)???????

Quote:
I am a knock-out! He is terribly insecure. And he is a basket case. I'm just trying to respect his wishes but it is damn hard. I'm not good at rollercoasters. But I also think I could try to be his friend.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:01 PM

He has ALREADY said "no" to her! What more does he need to say??? We all know what she wants to hear, but that sure isn't what he's telling her!!

[quote=cwaggy;14557246]He might need a gentle push...say YOU ask him out for a coffee and glass of wine..if you are really interested. So he might have some insecurities - don't we all? You failed to mention you are a stunning knock-out and he might be intimidated...anyway, he might just be a basket-case walking-wounded sorry-butted loser or he might be someone really great...take the lead and see what happens. All he can do is say "no".[/QUOTE]

Old 06-10-2010, 02:08 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
It seems he recognizes his own limitations right now and he's proceeding accordingly. Probably best for the both of you. It's possible he told his therapist about you and the therapist recommended he does not pursue a relationship at this time. Tough to say, but if it were me I'd keep things cordial and just move on.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:32 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Quote:
... Apparently, I'm the first woman he's dated in a few years...
A few YEARS? no Small wonderwith his wishy-washy approach! He doesn't seem to know what he wants:

Quote:
After a month or so of being around each other and chumming it up, he got up the nerve to ask me out. .. He was initially very nervous around me, to the point where some of our interactions were downright awkward. ... Right when things felt really good, he started to say: "I really like you, but I'm not sure about the relationship thing..." ... Then, I get a call telling me he can't do a relationship... but he wants to keep the door open for the future. ... what the hell?
What the hell is right!

You go to the gym, you're probably in great shape - I would recommend lacing up the running shoes and hitting warp speed.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:20 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:

He's jerking you around, whether intentionally or not. Just tell him that you're officially off-limits romantically to him and be done with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships