Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 09:19 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflower_lol View Post
Yes but at some point someone has to take the risk of being rejected and that won't be me. I'll leave that to the guy as he can ask the next girl and finally get a yes.
I wouldn't be able to proceed from guy to guy until one says yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 PM

311 posts, read 694,133 times
I think facing rejection is the main worry among most women.But as some of the other posters said its not the 50's anymore and part of equality of women is taking the bad with the good as in more rejection.The stupid part of the example I gave is that if either of us had asked we would both have said hell yah and might still be together today.Oh well,whats the phrase I'm looking for, "ships that pass in the night".

Old 06-13-2010, 09:31 PM

5,879 posts, read 9,251,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tired-of-mn View Post
I think facing rejection is the main worry among most women.But as some of the other posters said its not the 50's anymore and part of equality of women is taking the bad with the good as in more rejection.The stupid part of the example I gave is that if either of us had asked we would both have said hell yah and might still be together today.Oh well,whats the phrase I'm looking for, "ships that pass in the night".
I think many women sell themselves short. If you ask two or three at the most guys, one will say yes. We might have to ask ten or more to get the same result.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:34 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Sounds to me like just another missed golden opportunity!

Meditate on these words to prepare you for next time:

Initiative
Tenacity
Balls (big)
Pursuit
Perseverance

Otherwise, you're just going to remain the hungry lion/tiger who waits for the prey to come to him.

Go get 'em, Tiger!!!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:09 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
The condensed version (with lots of generalization and simplification): social custom established around the facts of evolutionary biology dictates that men make the first move. Men are biologically programmed to spread their seed, women are predisposed to be choosy in selecting a mate. Consequently (generally speaking), men are expected to take the initiative in pursuing a relationship with a woman. There are exceptions, of course, but the bottom line is that men are usually expected to take the first step and (again, speaking very generally) women often like it for the man to take the lead.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. I will add though that many men feel weird when a woman makes the first move. For some it can be emasculating, and from my experience the women who do make the first move are way more slutty than those who don't. It's hard to explain why, but I guess the best way of putting it is they basically tip their hand and it spoils things from the get go. If they chase they then get laid more since they'll in theory be having more relationships and therefore sex. Goes back to the notion that women can have sex with a lot of men far more easily than the reverse.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:33 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Look, here's how I see it...if I know a guy and have spent time with him and he hasn't asked me out, then he doesn't want to go out with me.

So that's probably why more women don't ask men out. They figure if the guy wanted to go out, he would have asked. I have had encountered very few men too shy to let me know pretty obviously that they want to go out.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:05 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Couldn't have said it any better myself. I will add though that many men feel weird when a woman makes the first move. For some it can be emasculating, and from my experience the women who do make the first move are way more slutty than those who don't. It's hard to explain why, but I guess the best way of putting it is they basically tip their hand and it spoils things from the get go. If they chase they then get laid more since they'll in theory be having more relationships and therefore sex. Goes back to the notion that women can have sex with a lot of men far more easily than the reverse.
The only problem is the statement you quote is wrong. As for being emasculated because the woman makes the first move, what kind of game playing wuss would that be? Key to that is to call the women who play different "slutty". Sounds like someone that prefers the thrill of the hunt. I think most people feel awkward about opening themselves up, man or woman.

To those women that say the guy must not be interested enough if they do not ask you. It makes you sound as if you feel entitled. One must prostrate themselves before the Queen in order to get her favor. Get over yourself. You are fortunate to have the option rather than your parents arranging your marriage. Being equal means neither side has a monopoly on the courting dance. (Shakespeare has a lot to blame in regards to our modern day foolishness of dating).

Old 06-14-2010, 07:37 AM

956 posts, read 1,767,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RUGGED4YOU View Post
I think many women sell themselves short. If you ask two or three at the most guys, one will say yes. We might have to ask ten or more to get the same result.
Wow, guys are so open ?

Old 06-14-2010, 07:50 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
The condensed version (with lots of generalization and simplification): social custom established around the facts of evolutionary biology dictates that men make the first move. Men are biologically programmed to spread their seed, women are predisposed to be choosy in selecting a mate. Consequently (generally speaking), men are expected to take the initiative in pursuing a relationship with a woman. There are exceptions, of course, but the bottom line is that men are usually expected to take the first step and (again, speaking very generally) women often like it for the man to take the lead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Or they're perceived as more slutty. Last year I made a first move and invited a man out and he came right out and said on the date that he only wanted sex and that he assumed that's what he was going to get since I asked him. Needless to say, he didn't get any from me, and I've been a lot more reticent about asking men out. I love what you said about tipping your hand--it just seems to throw everything off so I won't be doing it again. Not unless I just want sex but that's never been the case.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,352 times
Because they know that most men like to chase and will be less interested in a girl who asks than a girl he has to chase a little.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships